Compare the new McLaren MP4-25 with last year’s car (Pictures)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24

McLaren got their 2009 car badly wrong and spent much of the year catching up to their rivals.

They needs the MP4-25 to be on the pace from the first race – but is it a big enough step forward over its predecessor? Here’s how the two cars compare.

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

Image scaled so rear wheel sizes match.

Right

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

Image scaled so rear wheel sizes match.

Front

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

2010 McLaren MP4-25 and 2009 McLaren MP4-24 (click to enlarge)

Image scaled so front wing sizes match.

Images (C) www.mclaren.com

48 comments on Compare the new McLaren MP4-25 with last year’s car (Pictures)

1. It’s an interesting design. I’m amazed right now how much the new fuel tank requirements have affected the cars at the rear.

2. wasiF1 said on 29th January 2010, 15:24

It shows that the mew car have a longer wheelbase.

3. Damon said on 29th January 2010, 15:36

It’s funny that McLaren still have the no. 1 car. YET, this time it’s Button who will drive it, not Hamilton.

Will Hamilton drive a “0″ car?
    I’d love it.

4. A Singh said on 29th January 2010, 16:53

The comments make for interesting reading – slightly more reserved this year.

I remember last January on Planet F1 on the release of the MP4-24, the first comments were: ‘That’s the car to win the WDC and WCC’. lol

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 17:12

Weal thats Planet F1 isn’t it. I’m no tifosi, infact quite the macca fan but at least I’m under no illusions that our team being British or our car looking good actually means anything.

Nor do I anything but like F1F local tifosi, nice people all round.

Hopefully that is the car for the championships after all though.

5. Looks like Renault’s 2009 car

6. Looks great.

The new long cars look great! Especially with the sharp nose :)

7. to me the mclaren looks alot longer than the ferrari

8. Anyone else notice the little ‘winglets’ from the sidepods? I thought that they were banned?

9. ZANARDI2010 said on 30th January 2010, 1:46

full on v new mclewis looks pretty cool,outragous almost.

10. ZANARDI2010 said on 30th January 2010, 1:50

yeah put those wheel covers on v new McLewis

11. sumedh said on 30th January 2010, 7:23

So glad to finally be able to logon to f1fanatic.

Most striking aspect I see is how Mclaren have managed to retain the cokebottle shape whereas Ferrari haven’t done so.

The mclaren does seem to have an awkward bump near the exhaust. Wonder what that is for!!

12. MattB said on 30th January 2010, 10:00

Fantastic car! I love it!

Quick question: all of the TV camera mountings seem to be there except for the unsightly T-bar mounting that we have seen in recent years… there seems to be something on top – does anyone know if we shall see these T-bars this year or have they changed their design?

13. I thought the extra front wing elements had been banned at the of the 2008 season

• Doug H said on 30th January 2010, 23:10

The new front wing regs for 2009 onwards say, if i remember right, that the wing as a whole must be lower and wider, and that an area of specific width in the middle of the wing must be aerodynamically neutral, in order to help lessen the wake behind the car. The areas either side of this central no-go zone, as well as the endplates, are free for designers to muck around with. The front wing of the new mclaren is an obvious evolution of the design they were using by the end of 2009, but there are various changes – including those very interesting-looking 3-piece endplates that I recall were trialled in one of the practice sessions in 2009 but never raced on the ’09 car.

14. I like it but liked the look of the MP4-24 much more. To me that was a beauty. Hate shark fins, don’t like the rear wing as much and don’t like the nose as much either. Black rims too looked good on the mp4-24.
    Well as long as it’s quick.

15. The new cars front air intakes look great. They look like that of a fighter plane. I’m not to sure about the higher nose but the underside of the nose looks like the bow of a high tech boat…