McLaren MP4-25 launch today

McLaren's MP4-25 was revealed early online

McLaren's MP4-25 was revealed early online

I’m heading to Vodafone’s headquarters today for the launch of McLaren’s 2010 F1 car, the MP4-25.

I intend to post updates from there throughout the day and McLaren are also broadcasting the launch online.

You can watch the McLaren launch live here.

The timetable for the launch is as follows (UK time):

11:00 – MP4-25 revealed
11:30 – Martin Whitmarsh, Jonathan Neale and Paddy Lowe press conference
12:00 – Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton press conference

I’ll do my best to add updates from the launch here and on Twitter but as this is the first time I’ve been to a launch like this I can’t say exactly how it’s going to work.

We’ve already had lots of suggestions for questions to ask at the launch – if you’ve got any ideas or thoughts on the launch please post them below.

Update: McLaren have asked fans talking about the launch on Twitter to use the hashtag #MP425. Tweets using that tag will be displayed on a special Twitter wall at the McLaren Technology Centre. I can imagine a few people wanting to have some mischief with that so I hope McLaren have got filters in place. Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter.

Update 2: Some early pictures of the car have appeared already – see the comments for more.

McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 launch pictures

201 comments on McLaren MP4-25 launch today

1. Gusto said on 29th January 2010, 11:24

It reminds me off the BatMobile, she`s gonna fly baby, she`s gonna fly.

2. Not much of a surprise. Thought Mclaren would be fairly aggressive. I suspect they may have the fastest car which is a bit of a worry. The Merc engine should still be a powerhouse and a reliable one at that. They should have the best package too. Mercedes I have no clue where they will be, RBR need a Newey master stroke but I think reliability could hinder them. I still think Ferrari need more time or a star designer in their squad (Rory Byrne was very underrated in my opinion).

• Salty said on 29th January 2010, 11:28

Rumours circulating that Ferrari are already working on a B spec F10 – rather worrying that it’s a B spec and not just upgrades.

• Heard those rumours this morning. It is worrying and they are meant to have a whole host of upgrades planned too apparantly. Least they are moving forward though and never know how testing will go and they have a strong line up. Kimi could manage a win in the F60 so the title is a big stretch but they should at the very least be better than last year, just there should be more competition.

• Jasper said on 29th January 2010, 12:12

Well that rumour doesn’t make sense, because all cars are designed using computer systems like CAD and you make mock ups to test in the wind tunnel etc to see if all the figures ring true. And then providing all your targets are being met with these results you go ahead and build the car. How can Ferrari just dismiss their F10 design as no good without even testing it on the track. Sorry but that is complete rubbish…

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 11:47

Rory Byrne produced the F2004.

Second most dominant car ever, one of the total pinacles of F1 history and absoluteley amazing reliability.

Trust me the man is not underated for that V10 masterpeice.

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 11:56

Er Ferrari B Spec rumours are abound but I belive B-Spec is the differance between their launch package and their race package.

Mercedes have confired that thats what they’re doing. McLaren has said theres loads going onto this car that they’re not showing us yet. I wouldn’t be too alarmed.

An it may well be the case that the car produced is a total revolution. So buck up tifosi.

• It’s normal that the cars change from the launch to the first race.

• Bertie said on 29th January 2010, 12:24

Well it makes total sense. They dont want to change too much in one go otherwise it is very hard to assess which part works. This way they will have lots of different iterations, which makes it far easy to decide.

• Yeah I appreciate Rory as do you clearly but I just feel he is often forgotten about

3. makes the ferrari look even better, horrible looking mclaren

4. John H said on 29th January 2010, 11:25

No stupid wingmirrors. That pleases me the most strangely!

5. Stealthman said on 29th January 2010, 11:25

Lovely-looking car. Certainly different. :)

Has anyone else noticed that there’s no camera housing on top of the airbox like usual? There’s just a stump…

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 16:13

Presumably its a stump for a camera housing.

You have to have them so it will be there.

Look out for those massive radio mast they plug on during serious testing. Dont know why buy I find them hilarious.

6. maciek said on 29th January 2010, 11:26

So with the Williams, this makes the third more or less identically designed nose (the very front section, that is) – fairly simple, fairly elevated. Makes me all the more curious to see whether the Mercedes will look anything like the Brawn (i.e. downward swooping nose)

PS. from the side view, the front section of the Maclaren looks a lot like last years’ BMW.

• There’s still a lot of development to be done, things can change between now and the start of the season.

7. Gusto said on 29th January 2010, 11:26

Did you notice Lewis give the wing mirror a rub

8. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 29th January 2010, 11:26

Just had a chat with Jonathan Legard who offered his compliments on the website and wished me luck with taking it solo. Very nice of him to say hello.

9. Keith snapped by Jake Humphrey at the McLaren launch… http://twitpic.com/10ao5r

10. Bernard said on 29th January 2010, 11:27

Wow, I like it.

11. Gusto said on 29th January 2010, 11:27

with the front end weighed down with aero is the nose cone shape so important?

• CounterStrike said on 29th January 2010, 11:32

They could have done a better job of the nosecone. Looks like a cross of BMW-Renault. That said it might have no bearing on how fast the car goes.

• The shape of the nose will have an effect on how the air is funnelled towards the rear of the car, particularly the rear wing and diffuser. The nose can play an important part in harnessing the airflow to best effect.

• Gusto said on 29th January 2010, 15:32

Yeah, but look at that monster nose, its doing all the work.

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 16:18

It’s stepped like the RB5 but not raised on the sides.

So maybe they see that as unessasary or maybe they they’re after a different solution.

Or maybe it will be developed in.

12. curedcat said on 29th January 2010, 11:30

the stream running again

13. Gusto said on 29th January 2010, 11:36

Bounced out vodafone mobile broadband while watching a vodafone broadcast, they do themselves no favours lol, I do hate the way all cars seem (through the regs) to be swapping the front of the car to the rear an vice a versa.

14. Gusto said on 29th January 2010, 11:42

Reminds me of when you put washing up liquid on the rear tyres of your scalextric`s cars to make (Qoute bernie`esq qoute) `make it more exciting`