Virgin VR-01 to launch online

Virgin Racing will launch their first F1 car in an online event on February 3rd.

The car, to be called the VR-01, will have what the team calls an “all-digital” launch to complement the cars all-digital design process which shunned wind tunnel testing for CFD design.

The VR-01’s debut will happen at 10am GMT. I hope they’ve got enough bandwidth.

Dates of all the 2010 F1 launches, tests and every race session are in the F1 Fanatic Google Calendar

17 comments on Virgin VR-01 to launch online

1. Looking forward to this, their website is the best out of all the teams, so hoping their car livery will be the best and they will also create a car capable of beating all the new teams.

2. BNK Racing said on 29th January 2010, 16:32

virgin is my fav of the newcomers…mainly because i hope their colour scheme is red and black, which happens to be my fav colour combination! also i like their innovation and outside the box (or tunnel) design approach

3. ajokay said on 29th January 2010, 16:39

My internet is with Virgin Media… so I’m hoping I’d have enough bandwidth for that, haha!

4. Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 16:45

Love Timo’s helemt design on the site.

CFD passing this test would mean so much for F1. If CFD can be used to desgin complete cars it can be used to phase out wind tunnels.

I’ve made my veiws on aero know (its done, time to change the focus) but surley the kind of saving this could represent can only be a good thing.

• CounterStrike said on 29th January 2010, 16:49

You know some of these CFD simulation can be extremely accurate. At least Virgin have the audacity to explore this territory.

They are really entering a truly Virgin territory :P

This could click big time or could be a candidate for failblog.com :D

• Bullfrog said on 29th January 2010, 17:08

If any car’s gonna stand out from the others, it’s this one. Or it could end up looking like last year’s Red Bull. Either way, the colour scheme sounds quite cool.

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 18:06

I don’t see why, CFD hasn’t produced overly radical LMPT’s why would it produce a radical F1 Car. Especially with the scope so limited.

• John H said on 30th January 2010, 13:25

CFD is for analysis. It cannot ‘produce’ anything – the designers still need to create new ideas.

I think not having any wind tunnel testing is a bit silly personally. CFD methods cannot match wind tunnel tests yet which is well known in the aerospace industry, but that isn’t to say that the gap isn’t closing.

It’s still too early not to complement CFD with wind tunnel testing IMHO.

5. JHunt123 said on 29th January 2010, 19:06

They should have got Fembots to drive them too to keep with the digital theme.

6. wasiF1 said on 30th January 2010, 2:37

There livery may be the best

7. Looking forward to see Virginīs car livery!