Virgin Racing launch VR-01

F1 picturesPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Virgin VR-01

Virgin Racing are the first of the new F1 teams to launch their 2010 car.

See below for more pictures and information about the VR-01.

Designer Nick Wirth has created the VR-01 entirely using Computational Fluid Dynamics computer modelling. This is not a new technology for F1 – but relying on it instead of a wind tunnel to create a new car is a novel approach.

Wirth believes CFD is the best way for teams to develop F1 cars under F1’s new resource restrictions:

Today is a very proud day for everyone involved with Virgin Racing, however on this occasion, where the car is the star, I want to pay tribute to all the amazing people at Wirth Research who deserve so much of the credit for the VR-01. Putting together an F1 team, assembling an engineering group and designing a new car from scratch is an epic task in the timeframe we have been working to.

I have been fortunate to have worked with the very best designers in F1 and I am well aware of exactly what it takes to be successful in this sport. When you see what the existing teams have achieved using the conventional but proven design approach, it is unsurprising that there is a great deal of scepticism about our all-CFD approach. But we are competing in a sport that is undergoing significant change having come face to face with today’s harsh economic realities. Under resource restriction, convention will become too costly and necessity really will be the mother of invention. I have absolute belief in the digital design process and the opportunity to put the all-CFD approach to the test at the highest level – to demonstrate that this could be the way for the future of F1 – is very, very exciting.
Nick Wirth

The team, originally named Manor Motorsport, are using Cosworth’s CA2010 V8 engines this year.

Team principal John Booth said:

Not only do we have a great bunch of people at Virgin Racing, we also have a great-looking car. We are delighted with our fantastic new livery which provides a fitting integration of our racing brand with our important commercial partnerships. All in all, we have a lot to look forward to as we progress towards our racing debut in Bahrain next month.
John Booth

He also explained why the car was not ready in time for the test at Valencia this week:

The first stage in our on-track evaluation programme is our two-day shakedown at Silverstone on Thursday and Friday this week, where we will conduct systematic testing and confidence-building of all car parts and on-car systems. It was always intended that we would miss the first all-team test in Valencia this week and very early on we targeted the second Jerez test in two weeks’ time for our public testing debut. It is a testament to our methodical approach and the sheer hard work of the team that we are heading to Spain a week earlier than planned to take part in the first Jerez test next week.
John Booth

Virgin chairman Sir Richard Branson added:

I’m sure we will be measured by how fast the car is on the track in Jerez next week, but I hope that doesn’t overshadow the far bigger achievement of pulling an entire racing team together and taking a brave step that defies convention. In many ways this is an exploration, but given the absolute self-belief we have seen, I can’t help but feel very excited about what we can go on to achieve in the years ahead.

For now though I’m looking forward to seeing the VR-01 on track in testing in the coming weeks as we prepare for Virgin Racing’s very first grand prix.
Richard Branson

Virgin VR-01 pictures

VR-01 dimensions

Length: 5,500mm
Height: 950mm
Width: 1,800mm
Wheelbase: 3,200mm

2010 F1 car launches

Images ?? Virgin Racing

278 comments on “Virgin Racing launch VR-01”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 7
  1. We Want Turbos
    3rd February 2010, 10:59

They’re not going to post pictures and ruin the big fanfare of the lauch as nobody will watch the launch.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
      3rd February 2010, 11:01

Nobody’s watching the launch as it is. And going by the article I linked to above, it’s already over. It’s just the footage that they’re struggling with.

2. They have HAD the launch!!

1. Launch is finished! The pictures are on the website, but no car ones :(

1. Prisoner Monkeys
          3rd February 2010, 11:04

Where on the website?

2. No, those pictures are from the team launch in december, but not yet the car launch.

3. Those where pictures of the announcement last year december.

4. whoops, just realised i’m wrong! They are from the launch in december

5. why do i have the feeling you’ve gone to the ‘team launch’ – aka, the announcement of the team in Nov/Dec. that’s all i can find on the website

6. And yet pictures of the car are probably the only thing most people want to see at the moment.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
            3rd February 2010, 11:14

Yeah, but Virgin don’t want them leaking and spoiling the surprise.

2. We Want Turbos
    3rd February 2010, 11:05

The the Virgin twiiter page they say they want to get the launch on, it wont be live im presuming they dont want media leeking photos untill after it has been shown

3. If an F1 car is launched and no one sees it, does it exist? Or something similar…

1. You have got that one from Jon Noble’s Twitter page.
      He should sue you for violating his copyright ;-)

1. shhhhh! ;)

4. Just got in and thought i’d missed it but sounds like I haven’t. Is this the correct website I should be looking at?….

1. Thats the correct page. Just wait untill the vid and pics are uploaded there.

5. yes Autosport went virtual too ;)

6. 10 more minutes I’ll give them.
    I’m starting to stop caring about them anymore….

1. same here… i’ve waited for an hour…

2. Like they would care ;-)?

7. How terrific the launch is will have nothing to do with how fast the car is. McLaren showed that last year. Not a great start I agree but get over it!

8. I’m just tired and i want to sleep. i’ve got to go to cricket in the morning. please be swift richard.

9. They really should have just joined the rest of them on monday. then any photographer there could have uploaded photos and there would be far fewer frustrated fans. i’m kinda hoping there car is a flop now so next year they’ll use the right resources and get testing earlier!!!

10. On a completely different matter, I’ve just noticed Schumacher is using a carbon fibre BLACK crash helmet.

New design on the horizon????

1. No, just new types of helmets by Schuberth.

2. Prisoner Monkeys
      3rd February 2010, 11:20

No, Massa and Kubica were using them yesterday. It seems to be a new model of helmet from Schuberth, and they’re looking for feedback on it.

1. I noticed RK using it yesterday. I didnt even realise he used Schuberth.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
          3rd February 2010, 11:26

He doesn’t – but they asked him to test it, anyway. Don’t know why.

2. maybe in response to massa hungary?

3. Kubica and Massa had them ass well. Kubica testing some new Bell-helmet type and Schumacher is testing a new type from Schubert.

1. Bell have a wicked looking carbon fibre helmet too, they provide it unpainted so you can see the weave and everything. Looks mad. All the Bell F1 drivers use it, but obviously they all paint it and ruin the effect :(

11. Calm down chaps. Honestly, people always seem to think the world owes them these days. The team have worked hard on this, not you, they’ll show it when they are ready.

Just enjoy it when it arrives and relax.

1. Agreed. I’ve pulled a few comments from here because frankly we don’t need the bickering.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
        3rd February 2010, 11:35

Sorry about that. It’s just that that attitude of “Give me what I want right now or else” just rubs me the wrong way. And I’m argumentative.

2. I’ll remember to bite my tongue in the future

12. Maybe its an invisible car. Very advanced.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
      3rd February 2010, 11:37

I think I saw that in a James Bond film once.

2. It would certainly be aerodynamic.

13. It seems that Di Grassi is quiet on his Twitterpage now.

14. I’m still looking forward to them. I think their livery will be stunning. Their car isn’t going to be as slow as their launch :P these things happen though with technology like this site sued to be slow with traffic, facebook always breaks, the Ferrari stream wasn’t brilliant. It’s just one of those things. I’m sure they aren’t just sitting down drinking tea and reading the paper. They’ll be as frustrated by this as many fans are, if not more so as this is meant to be their big moment afterall. The day they’ve been planning for ages.

15. What a waste of time! Ive been waiting for ages…why didnt they just slap a few on twitter!? Going to loose interest of people soon!

16. Are they planning on racing the car entirely in the “digital realm”?

17. Prisoner Monkeys
    3rd February 2010, 11:37

Autosport promising pictures in mere moments.

18. There it is!

19. FINALLY!!!

thank you Keith!

20. I really like the look of the car. Maybe slightly too much red for me but definately my favourite livery so far I think.

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 7