Live from Jerez

F1 testing resumes on Wednesday as ten teams head to Jerez for the second session of the year.

This is the first F1 test I’m going to this year and I intend to post live updates from the event here and on Twitter.

This will be the first time I’ve visited an F1 event like this in an official media capacity. I’ll have a lot of “learning the ropes” to do so I don’t want to promise I’ll be able to do lots of things which later turn out to be impossible.

But at the same time I want to make sure I get as much useful information from the test as possible to share with the rest of you.

Testing has had a lot more coverage this year than usual, thanks to the combination of Michael Schumacher’s return, the all-British line-up at McLaren and Fernando Alonso’s switch to Ferrari.

There are some who feel the amount of attention being given to testing is excessive and not helpful. Certainly some people seem to be fixating on early lap times in a manner which we know from past experience is not a reliable way of judging performance.

So, to help me decide how to prioritise my time at the track, I’d like to know what you’re interested in seeing from the tests. Lap times? Lots of pictures? Interviews with drivers and team members?

Leave a comment below and look out for the live testing coverage starting on Wednesday.

And yes, I have packed a raincoat…

69 comments on Live from Jerez

1 2 3 4
  1. jose arellano said on 8th February 2010, 22:06

videos of the car pushiiiing and taken real closeee to smell the petrol!

2. Sush Meerkat said on 8th February 2010, 22:11

my vote goes to the inside work day routine, sounds boring I know, but christ all the other websites will be doing lap time comparisons like it matters.

But a talk with Toro Rosso would be nice, I love those guys.

• Yay a Toro Rosso fan :) I agree a few interviews with people would be really good, and a few pictures would be a winner. Be good if you could get some videos too but are you even allowed?

• luigismen said on 8th February 2010, 23:43

I support that, I would like to know how is the routine of a F1 team on a test day

3. Havergal said on 8th February 2010, 22:17

I’d like to request lap times and pictures please! I have to say I find a lot of the interviews that go out very unenlightening – no one really wants to give anything away. No one wants to say anything that might be pulled up as evidence against them later in the season. What ever you do get up to at Jerez though, have fun!

• Bertie said on 9th February 2010, 9:12

Along with lap times, would it be possible to get sector times and how many laps after they pitted. I am just curoius what the best time would be if you put together all the fastes sectors and also whether they are setting their fastest lap with lowish fuel. For example Hamilton set his fastest laps early doors then continued to do many laps after.

• footfarmer said on 10th February 2010, 9:09

driver comments are usually about as genuinely informative as an ex prime minster at a public enquiry..
        “..yeah um we’re um pleased with progress so far. The uh car feels very positive and er we’re looking forward to the exciting series.. “

4. Driver comments are always good to read so see their thoughts on the car and developements. Close up pics of the new cars are nice. Enjoy your day, it looks like quitting your job to do this full time was the right choice. Rain or no rain it wll be a great experience. Good Luck.

5. Interviews with the drivers Keith. I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I find it cool to see what the drivers are like as “people” rather than just “racing drivers”.

Vettel and Webber seem like a cool guys that you could go for a pint with.

Anything else you can get would be cool?

6. J-Canada said on 8th February 2010, 22:44

Hey Keith,

Good luck at the test, it should be a fantastic experience!

It would be really interesting to to talk with the Bridgestone crew and see how they are preparing in light of the new regulations.

Also, I wonder if the Cosworth folks will be attending the test? If so it might be worth chatting with them to see how they feel about engine development.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

7. maciek said on 8th February 2010, 22:46

All the insider information from all the teams… OK, then how about LOTS of pictures. But mostly, just enjoy it!

8. James_mc said on 8th February 2010, 22:48

I think chats to team members might glean more info than laptimes. Although they’ll probably be more of an indicator this time round than last week.

Perhaps see what other teams think of VR’s all-CFD approach?

9. Bartholomew said on 8th February 2010, 22:49

Keith, just make sure, if you have some spare time, to visit the city of Sevilla, wich is close by to Jerez and is the most beautiful city in Spain. Absolutely beautiful (I live there so maybe Im a little biased ). If you need recommendations of places to visit, etc let me know – you must have my e-mail registered with my name.
    Lets hope that the weather is OK – right now it is slightly drizling but not cold
    Cheers

10. Xighor said on 8th February 2010, 23:09

1. Interviews with drivers, but not about their comments on the car and track, everybody has it and it will be repeated 1000 times everywhere. Ask them about how they prepare to races, what exercises they perform, what do they eat, what is the feeling of driving over 300km/h, do they visit F1 websites. Something a little more creative than other sites have.

2. I’d love to see some videos, but I know it is probably not allowed to upload them so…

3. Interviews with mechanics/race engineers. What they find difficult about their job, in what time they think are able to put new engine/gearbox/sth in, what data can they find in telemetry and how to use it properly in a race…

4. Don’t bother yourself with lap times. We’ve got access to some live-timing via other sites, no need to waste your time for it.

5. Some pictures would be nice, there can’t be to many of them. Maybe try not to focus on cars entirely, get some pictures of team at work, if you will be able to.

• Wesley said on 8th February 2010, 23:35

I’m with Xighor….everything he said :)

• Hairs said on 8th February 2010, 23:50

++ Very True.
        Get some human interviews with the drivers and backroom staff, if you can. No doubt everyone’s still under the PR monitor but it’s worth a try. I doubt any technical questions will get any sort of useful response but you can always try.

EG: Some of the comments from Adrian Newey and Sam Michael were quite good at the autosport show, re: diffusers, cars vs. tracks etc. Ask some of the players what they think of “classic” vs “new” F1, and do they think F1 would be better or worse off with no homologation, eg: You can spend 100 million including drivers, PR but fewer rules (applied to ALL the teams). Would all the work go towards a single factor? Would we get a few seasons of varied ideas before things settled down into a “winning” compromise? This is certainly how it happened in the past. In the days when turbo, ground effect and active suspension were being cooked up, teams were kept in check by how much money they could pull in in sponsorship. Now, they’re having to be held back from spending what they’ve got at the top. That’s not a bad plan.

• Dan Bigham said on 9th February 2010, 11:45

Perfect! Everything Xighor said. Ask the crew how their off-season preparations went, what times they have got pit stops down to, whats the opinions and differences off the cosworth engine. All of it questions that never seemed to be asked but are very interesting and cool to hear about!

• three4three said on 9th February 2010, 14:06

What Xighor and Dan said. Deffo don’t bother with lap times as we can get them elsewhere. If you can’t get proper personal interviews with drivers then a personal interview (or chat) with one of the crew is much better for a true insight.
        Above all tho, hope you have fun!

11. varun said on 8th February 2010, 23:10

Hi Keith,

I would like to know the lap times and the no of laps that the driver did in that stint and which lap he did the laptime on…..I know its a bit too much to ask for …..but that would be great to understand what each team is doing……I wouldn’t mind Interviews with drivers and team members……I don’t care a lot about pictures but that will be great too.

12. I’d say ‘video’, but we all know how that’ll end up. Could maybe do a video diary or something, if you have a minute or two!

It would be great if you could get info on lap times over long stints, then we can get an average, which gives a bigger and better picture.

• Ned Flanders said on 9th February 2010, 4:55

Yeah a video diary would be interesting. The way I see it, the most important thing is to do provide stuff which you can’t get elsewhere- like podcasts, testing Q+A’s, video footage, behind the scenes info… that sort of stuff. Anyway enjoy the testing KC… I wish I was there myself

13. ccolanto said on 8th February 2010, 23:31

If we can judge you on how well you covered the Mclaren launch, then I’m quite confident you’ll do a superb job covering the test sessions.

As always a sweet recap of the days times is cool. Like you said, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on the quickest ones because those are most likely done on low fuel.
    But one thing I’d be curious to see is lap times from drivers/cars on long runs. A better picture could probably be drawn there.
    I’d be cautious to jump on the reason that the Sauber’s were quick is due to the fact that they don’t have very much, if any sponsorship. Brawn came out last year with a white car and posted monster laps, which turned out to be legit.

Pictures of drivers just hanging around, enjoying everyday life (but who wouldn’t love to be an F1 driver!?) would be sweet.

I’d be curious to see if you can snatch drivers for interviews on their off time, I mean not interviewing them with the horde of journalist following them around.

Honestly, Im just jealous your there to hear the cars, never mind have a media pass. So anything more than a simple paragraph summarizing the day is going to be awesome.

Good luck and have fun!

14. Wow, Mr Collantine; that’s quite a milestone! First F1 test…
    I hope the F1 hack career path is all you hope it to be.
    Have fun!

15. We’ve had saturation coverage of McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes, Red Bull will also get heaps. Obviously don’t ignore them, but how about some talk to some of the Williams guys, Virgin guys and Toro Rosso guys as well. See what they have to say about the Cossie, see what Virgin are thinking now they’re ‘in’ the game, see how the TR guys handled designing and building their first car in a few years. Talk to Renault about packaging. Is their car really the same size as last years? How did they manage that when everyone else has put a foot of extra wheelbase in. How much is the Hulk contributing to the car, or is Rubens having most of the development impact?
    Theres more than 4 teams on the grid, the lower down teams are just as interesting, they just have different stories to tell.

• we’re hearing Petrov might not have the dosh after all, what’s Renaults feelings and where might they look if he can’t get the money? If the 1st of March is the deadline, are they concerned about having to get a new driver in at late notice, getting them settled in and acclimatised to the car etc
      Would they chase a pay driver again, or would they just try to get whatever they could in time for the first race? Is their 3rd driver an option or a last resort?

• how closely are other teams watching Virgin and their CFD approach?
      What are established teams thoughts on the new teams? Especially Campos and USF1, and StefanGP, do they believe the scuttlebutt about the teams struggling to get it together, and what are they thinking about Stefan sending equipment to a race they don’t have an entry for? Do they think Zoran’s got a screw loose?

And just as some kind of fun thing:
      Who do the drivers think will be the WC this year? And don’t take “too early to say” as an answer, get them to put a guess on the table in 2 words. Offer some kind of trophy or 50p trinket for those who guess right.

1 2 3 4