Lotus F1 car spy picture revealed

Autosport has scooped the new Lotus F1 car ahead of it launch on Friday.

See here for a picture of the car testing at Silverstone earlier today.

The Lotus is due to be officially launched in a ceremony in London on Friday.

Thanks to everyone who sent in tips about the story!

Read more about the Lotus F1 team

66 comments on Lotus F1 car spy picture revealed

1 2 3
  1. Chippie said on 9th February 2010, 22:01

Oh dear, I love Lotus, i adore Lotus. I would still support them even if they came out with a pink colour scheme. But I hope this car looks better than this shot makes it seem, the green looks ‘swampy’ colored rather than prober British Racing Green. The worst thing for me though are the wheels – they look so cheap.

• MigueLP said on 10th February 2010, 2:32

it looks underdeveloped the color scheme looks bad but it may be temporary

• Ned Flanders said on 10th February 2010, 11:20

I wonder if this is another case of a team choosing a colour based on how it looks ‘in the flesh’ without considering how it looks on TV and in pictures.

Spyker had to change their livery before the first race a few years ago because it didn’t look right on TV (which is of course what 99.99% of people will see it through). Mabye Lotus will have to do the same.

• Hare (@hare) said on 31st January 2011, 5:27

I like the colour, oh.. and it’s a 3d render! :)

2. John H said on 9th February 2010, 22:02

Big front teeth

3. david said on 9th February 2010, 22:03

Can i ask, does anyone know why they dont do these tests after the launch to stop these spy shots

• There’s not much to be gained from the spy shots other than publicity. Unless you have some radical aero solution or similar exterior innovation that you want to keep under wraps I’d question whither it’s worth it. It’ll probably help generate a bit of extra interest for the team anyway, in the same way that controlled leaks do.

Ferrari have their “shakedowns” in secret and it seems McLaren are able to also but these are teams who have greater exposure and more to lose.

• sato113 said on 9th February 2010, 22:55

ferrari are quite public with their shakedowns. remember last year’s videos?/ helmet cam video?

• Tombong said on 9th February 2010, 23:35

Yup, but those shakedown we’ve seen in the internet happened after the launch of the car. They’ve never “deliberately” leaking pictures of their new challenger i believe. Only to gain the effect of viral promotions.

4. It looks similar to the Force india in the nose cone in that it does not have the V nose, also like the fact that it has no shark fin. Mixed feelings about the green and gold (presuming they keep them, that is), it would be good to see the colours but it makes it feel a bit more pastiche

• funny that – didnt VJ try to sue Gascoyne over him taking their ideas to the new team?

He hasn’t worked for them for a long time, but somehow the unique things to the FI car are also on the lotus car…

5. Looks OK. People already seem to be forgetting that they aren’t actually Lotus, though.

• Tiago said on 9th February 2010, 23:24

Well.. what is Lotus anyway?
      It would NEVER be the lotus team that raced before, because it ended and its been like that for ages, the brand moved on, etc.
      Would it be Lotus for you only if they sold it back to previous owners and mananged to get the same race engineers, team principal?
      Is Mclaren post Ron Denis not actually Mclaren, because its different somehow?

Would you say the new Lambos are not Lambos because now they are now german owned?

No.. so Lotus is what Lotus is now.

• luigismen said on 10th February 2010, 1:18

Agree with you there..
        Mercedes with the old Mercedes?

• matt90 said on 10th February 2010, 2:02

It doesn’t have that big a conection to the car company does it? Its just malaysian.

• Robert said on 10th February 2010, 5:38

If by big connection, you mean owning the company for 14 years, then yes, it does have a fairly large connection to Lotus.

If David Richards had been successful with his latest F1 bid, would there have been similar comments about it not being the “real” Aston Martin? By that logic, Aston Martin hasn’t been Aston Martin since 1947.

Just because the guy who owns the company is not named Chapman, doesn’t mean its not Lotus.

• John H said on 10th February 2010, 8:31

PROTON

• “Is Mclaren post Ron Denis not actually Mclaren, because its different somehow?”

Excellent point. Was McLaren really McLaren after the takeover by Ron Dennis and Project 4 in 1980? Was McLaren still McLaren after the death of Bruce McLaren in 1970, even?

The Lotus that last competed in F1 in 1994 bore little relation to the team that won its last title with Mario Andretti in 1979. Even Lotus in the later Chapman years was a shadow of its former self. It’s easy to get nostalgic and misty eyed but forget the reality.

Chapman was a great innovator but for every astonishing success there was a complete disaster. Nor was he the best at refining his ideas to fully exploit them – Lotus may have pioneered ground effect in F1, for example, but Williams perfected it. Chapman’s attitude to driver safety was also lamentable.

• Truthfully honest, mclaren were crap in the dip between senna 91 and hakkinen 98. The team was a shambles, ended up with Peugeot engines! Lotus was a championship winner that fell into decline, and I expect the lotus team to do badly, but with continued investment over the next few years they will hopefully be able to get podiums and maybe a win. If lotus – the team cynics call proton – win within the next few years, it would be great for malasia and it would be a metaphorical one fingured gesture to all the doubters. Ł20 on lotus to win a monsoon Malayan gp anyone?

• Aussie Racer said on 10th February 2010, 14:24

Been reading F1Racing mag hey Tiago?

• Hallard said on 10th February 2010, 15:04

Thanks Tiago. Im getting tired of people saying it isnt actually Lotus. We all know it isnt the same Lotus Team that won championships decades ago, but it IS Lotus. Lotus is malaysian-owned now, and we’re going to have to deal with it.

• Patrickl said on 11th February 2010, 9:52

The point is, why use the name Lotus and fake like there is some connection when cleary it has nothing to do with it.

They even go so far as to copy the color scheme. And yes, I’d feel Bringing Aston Martin back would be daft too. Especially with those 70s colors.

• Hallard said on 11th February 2010, 15:00

When clearly it has nothing to do with what? The lotus F1 team of today is affiliated with the lotus car company now, in the same way that the old team was affiliated with the company decades ago. Just because Colin Chapman isnt around doesnt mean it “isnt” lotus. Besides, by your logic, Mercedes GP shouldnt be allowed to call themselves Mercedes.

6. SoLiD said on 9th February 2010, 22:24

It looks like it’s all wrong compared to other solutions.

Looks like a short nose and bulky backend… doesn’t look great imo.

• I agree. It does not seem to be as aerodynamically inclined as some of the other cars. But then again, this is a car from a new team.

I hope that they have a good season!

• TomD11 said on 9th February 2010, 22:38

Yeah, the nose especially, it looks like someone’s chopped the end off.

• Hallard said on 10th February 2010, 15:07

I agree Solid, it looks incredibly underdeveloped. Of course that is impossbible for me to know, especially given that I am not an F1 engineer and I have only seen it in a low-res photo. Either way, I hope this thing isnt as slow as it looks.

7. I can’t decide whether I like it or not……

8. Ned Flanders said on 9th February 2010, 22:38

Hmmm… I’m not immpressed, that shade of green looks really dull to me. I was hoping they’d use a Jaguar- esque bright shade of green instead.

Then again, I imagine the livery is better than this picture makes it seem. It’s difficult to make out the nose. From a different angle showing more of the yellow bits I think it might look a lot better… at least I hope so

9. James_mc said on 9th February 2010, 22:59

I’m thinking the green may come out better on TV?

10. Harvs said on 9th February 2010, 23:22

looks like it has been made out of a cardboard box! yuck

11. Prisoner Monnkeys said on 9th February 2010, 23:24

I need a better shot. Too much of it seems to blend in with the background. I’m having a hard time telling where the car ends and the scenery begins.

12. LewisC said on 9th February 2010, 23:28

Running VERY high off the ground. Stowe circuit is really bumpy, which probably explains it…

13. Mark Hitchcock said on 9th February 2010, 23:58

I quite like the livery.
    Don’t think this photo does it justice.

14. luigismen said on 10th February 2010, 1:24

I think the Virgin looks better than this one, but we will have to see that in Bahrain

15. James_mc said on 10th February 2010, 1:26

Looks like a Force India ;-)

1 2 3