F1 testing pictures: 10th February

McLaren ran an aerodynamic measuring device on Button\'s

McLaren ran an aerodynamic measuring device on Button's car

Here’s the pictures I’ve taken at the first day of the the F1 test at Jerez.

More to follow

Images (C) F1Fanatic.co.uk

86 comments on F1 testing pictures: 10th February

1. Is seems Button is running the fastest in the current stint and damp conditions (all car slower than earlier in the dry as you would expect)

2. We see a lot of shark-fin cars. That suprises me. F1-cars don’t go through water. I don’t see birds carrying shark fins. Actual shark fins are curved. The top is curved backwards. The bottom shark fins are curved outwards.
    I was expecting the covers of the cars be more complex and the wings to be less complex.
    I found the Ferrari to be less complex and it was quick. The Lotus is very much less complex so I expect something there. We have to see about that.
    I think we will lose the shark fins before the end of the season.

• ??? They really don’t do the same thing as a shark fin, it’s just a catchy name.

As far as I know, they don’t make a huge difference, their only purpose is to make air travel straight over the rear wing, not at an angle.

Ideally air would flow from the leading edge then in a straight line to the back edge, and any deviation from this path lowers the amount of downforce created.

• thestig84 said on 10th February 2010, 11:00

They did suggest banning them but team owners like the extra sponsorship area. Ironic now that most are pretty devoid of sponsors!

• I seem to recall in the early 2000s as teams managed to shrink the bodywork more and more that the engine cover viewed from the side reduced in size quite a bit so they changed the rules so they had to be a minimum size as it is one the main areas for sponsorship.

• What I mean is that you want air for downforce and the air that does not help for downforce either stabilize or don’t bother the car at all. I think for this you should use more of the bodywork. Like in speedskating they attach a tiny strip of zigzag tape to their suits it saves them air-obstruction. So I would expect to see ribbed and curved surfaces of cars to stabilize and minimize air-obstruction and wings for the big streams that create downforce.

• The shark fin is primary used to allow airflow to be directed over wing under yaw conditions, it also helps make downforce with cross winds.
        It’s not to make air flow straight over wing it does that anyways.

• The MP4-25’s fin has cooling function…… it keeps the fuel relatively cooler. Why? You ask me? Well, take a look at the intake hole above the driver, it is divided into compartments and one of those goes direct through the fin and fizzles out at the rear, that explains the bulking shape of the fin in the MP4-25.

Ah! Yes, I am not an engineer, just my observations.

• I doubt they could cool the fuel very much at all even if they wanted… There’s very little surface area contact with the fuel, just the outside of the cell.

I think that airstream cools the oil ..

• Scribe said on 10th February 2010, 13:34

Read John Beamer’s technical artical, in fact I’ll quote.

“To the chagrin of some fans the MP4-25 sported a shark fin. These fins serve two purposes. During cornering, air is directed so it is ‘normal’ to the rear wing, which improves downforce. Fins also reduce lift over the engine cover by ensuring a lower pressure zone isn’t created on the leeward side when turning.”

3. After 47 laps Webber cannot get below 1.26.502 and now they are saying he has had a crash?

I know its Red Bulls first outing in the new car but i have to say after 47 laps i was not expecting them to be last and 6 seconds off the pace.

• Hmm seems it may be mechanical failure now, but its unclear.

• djdaveyp said on 10th February 2010, 12:32

They all set installation laps in the dry which is why there is so much difference. Since then nobody has been able to improve because they haven’t had a dry track.

4. Dave F. said on 10th February 2010, 12:30

A couple of questions:

1. It’s hard to tell fully from the pics. Does the McLaren’s fin have width to it, or is it the paint job that make look like it’s triangular where it joins the rear wing?

2. Mercedes Do you think that lifting eye is legal? Others have it right behind the drivers head as an integral part of the structure, butt theirs looks like it’s on a removable cover. Also why stop the fin at the bottom to leave a gap instead of joining it to the gearbox cover?

5. Need more pics from RB6 – rear view !!!!

6. The cars look massive in these pics.

7. matt90 said on 10th February 2010, 13:02

Does anybody know anything about the vents in the engine cover on the Mercedes? It looks as though (from the side) the air can travel straight through from just in front of the mercedes logo to just behind. I don’t think any of the other cars use this, they just seem to keep that section as narrow as possible.

8. Scribe said on 10th February 2010, 15:34

Keith, you couldn’t get a few pictures of the vapour trails left behind the f1 cars?
    Last year the diffusers started to interfer with that vortex they’re supposed to create now.
    Be interesting to see what they look like this year.

9. Hi, I just was shocked by terrible news. Here, in Lithuania f1 broadcasting from this season is transfered to paid tv channel. Maybe someone can help me: which sites show best f1 coverage. Thanks in advance.

• Maciek said on 10th February 2010, 16:12

Tough luck man. I’ve been looking for good on-line streams for a long time. I’ve heard rumours about proxy servers coming in handy.

• Scribe said on 10th February 2010, 17:40

you want to get yourself a brit based proxy server, then you can watch it all on the Iplayer.

Not sure how you do that, you might have to pay, but you’ve got till bahrain to figure it.

look up bbc iplayer proxy on google.

10. Maciek said on 10th February 2010, 16:16

Keith – big ups for all the great pics! I’ll be really interested to know what impressions of the cars you come away with after seeing and hearing them on the track.

11. McLaren: a beautiful car, but very slow…

12. Stefan said on 10th February 2010, 16:49

Well as expected a wet testing day at Jerez, hopefully we can compare this year with last years testing result tomorrow.

At the moment I think Ferrari is still the team to beat, but who’re they fighting is the main question. I don’t expect a battle for the victory between Alonso and De la Rosa (or Massa and Kobayashi), that’s for sure! I think we’ll have to wait untill 28th at Catalunya test and still not knowing who’s favourite.

I remember last year at the final test at Jerez Nakajima was quickest 1:17.494 in the Williams-Toyota FW31 followed by Button 0.350 slower in his Brawn-Mercedes BGP001.

13. What’s that thing on that mclaren?

14. Subrajit said on 10th February 2010, 20:31

Why is mclAren using this system? I mean aren’t they sure wat the car is doin ?
    seems to me that they have made a messup of it again