Red Bull launch the RB6

2010 F1 season

Red Bull launches their RB6 at Jerez this morning

Red Bull launches their RB6 at Jerez this morning

Red Bull have revealed their 2010 F1 car, the RB6.

Here are the first pictures of the new car.

Red Bull have taken a gamble by missing the first test of 2010 to work on the design of their RB6. Designer Adrian Newey expalined the changes on the new car:

The RB6 is very much an evolution of the 2009 car. We tried to refine and evolve it rather than go to new concepts.

As a result, the car looks similar with elements such as the chassis and pull-rod rear suspension retained. The two main challenges were the larger fuel tank and the smaller front tyre. With the fuel tank, there was more to it than simply putting a bigger tank in the car – it puts more load on the brakes, so the brake cooling has to cope with that and you also have to consider what effect that extra fuel will have on the tyre degradation early in the race and if there’s anything we should change mechanically to cope with that.

The narrower front tyre changes weight distribution and the balance of the car. I think it’s a sensible evolution of the 2009 car. One obvious difference is that the 2009 car was not designed to suit a double-diffuser and we had to try to put one on as best we could around the existing rear suspension and gear box. With this car we’ve been able to design that part of the car from scratch.
Adrian Newey

Red Bull RB6 launch pictures

See here for pictures of the RB6 on-track: F1 testing pictures: 10th February

Images (C) F1Fanatic.co.uk

115 comments on Red Bull launch the RB6

1. Looks great as expected.

2. Looks exactly like last years car. Nothing new to look at.
    Plus… Toro Rosso… what exactly did they design? because both look identical

3. Kurt Sant said on 10th February 2010, 8:34

wow this site is faster than the f1 official site.

ugly vertical stabilizer not only this but all other cars with this. ferrari is awesome

4. iceshiel said on 10th February 2010, 8:37

The nose looks a lot more pronounced than the RB5. It looks ready to race!

5. Hairs said on 10th February 2010, 8:48

Yep, looks like the extra week of design time has gone into doing.. err nothing. Exactly the same as the last iteration of the RB5. We can assume that they’ve spent all their time making the diffuser work.

6. Stealthman said on 10th February 2010, 8:55

Wow… the nose ridges really stand out. They don’t start flush with the nose; they suddenly emerge and stick out all the way. It also seems to me that they curve downwards as they continue towards the sidepods, but that could just be a trick of the light.

From the looks of it, the RB6 is a sensible yet radical evolution of the RB5’s design. I reckon this car’s going to be competitive right off the mark… :)

• Scribe said on 10th February 2010, 11:30

YES. This.

I’m getting tired of reading “they dun nuffin” comments. That is a highly developed car, with room for further developments.

7. MuzzleFlash said on 10th February 2010, 9:01

Red bull were able to have “Total” on the end plates not in their corporate colours, so why couldn’t Renault?

• ajokay said on 10th February 2010, 9:14

I thought that, although I’m warming to the red with the yellow and black, especially when I remembered Jordan had the exact same red Total sponsorship flashes during some of the years when it had the yellow and black livery.

• Ned Flanders said on 10th February 2010, 11:09

Yeah, good point. Presumably they pay Renault a lot more for their endplates. Perhaps Total are mainly Red Bull suppliers rather than sponsors?

But, like Ajokay, I’m starting to like the red on the Renault livery.

8. antonyob said on 10th February 2010, 9:05

orrible. the cars running dorsal fins are an aesthetic disaster. Whatever they do to air running over the spoiler it looks more like a billboard. Should be binned alongside plastic wheel covers.

9. On first look I canít see anything radically different from the RB5 that finished the season, at least not any changes as big as their main rivals, but then the RB5 was rated as probably the best at the end of last season. I am going to have to wait for the comparison article between the two cars to see what exactly has changed.

• Wesley said on 10th February 2010, 17:37

Me too.I think we will see most of the changes when they give us the rear view.

A Red Bull with a shark fin….sounds like a killer!(although I still hate the shark fins)

10. Dingle Dell said on 10th February 2010, 9:21

RB6 – Really Boring!!! To hell yea, BORING design to the absolute…

11. David B said on 10th February 2010, 9:26

I see it is a development of last year design. Very high nose. It seems to me that the RB drivers will have feet well higher than all the others.

12. I was expecting something SPECIAL from Newey….. Now I am vastly disappointed :-( …. Ok, lets see, erhmmmm did that fin join the rear? If yes, then it is McLaren IP :-) and if no, so be it.

The car looks like a sister to the MP4-25 from the side or are my eyes deceiving men? Well, we shall see in Bahrain …

• Red Bull’s centre fin joined with the rear wing last year.

• Scribe said on 10th February 2010, 11:33

oh look, I dont know why anyone ecpected radical, if Newey had said it was going to be radical it would have been.
      Newey said it was an evolution, thus it is an evolution that we see. f you ask me that car is still one of the most interesting cars on the grid. Look carefully an you will see plenty special Newey tweaks.

13. Intriguing to find out what caused the 9 days extra development that caused them to miss first test?
    What part did they develop in the last 9 days?

14. If you looked at the 2009 RB5, you could see on the back of the engine cover, a circular hole, like a third exhaust I thought it was, can anybody confirm what this waas and if the hole is in the 2010 car.

15. Yes there is the same hole on the RB6 although oval in shape. I guess it is for venting the gearbox cooling.