Live from Barcelona

The final F1 test of the season begins at Barcelona tomorrow. I’ll be at the track for the final two days of action on Saturday and Sunday before the teams ship their cars out to Bahrain for the first race of the season.

This will be the second time I’ve been to an F1 test as a media representative and I intend to do much the same as I did at Jerez two weeks ago – provide as much information as I can in real-time, keep an eye on cars’ stint times to see who’s quick and talk to as many drivers as I can.

Personal commitments keep me from being there on Thursday and Friday but we will have a photographer at the circuit for all four days of the test to supply exclusive pictures for F1 Fanatic.

As ever, if you have any suggestions for what you’d like to see from the test, please let me know in the comments. To pre-empt one of the most frequently asked questions, I’m afraid broadcasting restrictions prevent me from filming video at the test.

Thanks to Cristina and Jordi at the circuit for their help arranging accreditation, and thanks to everyone who suggested airlines and hotels on Twitter yesterday.

And special thanks to everyone who sent in donations to help meet the added cost of covering these tests. Your generosity is deeply appreciated.

F1 Fanatic Jerez test coverage

56 comments on Live from Barcelona

1. BasCB said on 24th February 2010, 9:33

Really looking forward to this, Keith!

Great you will be there

2. Nice,
    looking forward to the live coverage Keith

3. ajokay said on 24th February 2010, 9:40

Exclusive F1Fanatic photographs. Excellent news, congratultions, and I can’t wait for the weekend!

4. Keith,

Can we get some paddock pics this time round .. especially Ferrari and Red Bull

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th February 2010, 9:45

What do you mean by paddock pictures? Not photos of the trucks I assume?

• NomadIndian said on 24th February 2010, 10:43

I think he means pictures of activity in the paddock, pits… mechanics doin something when not working on the car… drivers hanging around when not on the track… perhaps… i would like that :)

• American_F1_Fan said on 24th February 2010, 22:09

Don’t the usually keep the door to the garage closed when they are working on the car during testing though?

• Work like a theif! Any oppurtunity you have, take it. Open garage doors, drivers walking back to pits from broken down cars, Snap! Snap! Snap!
            Get that camera out Keith and go snap! happy

• Can you highlight the teams current motor homes…
        RBR/Torro Rosso is the biggest you said, but lets see the current crop of demountable structures.

• Stephen_P83 said on 25th February 2010, 0:45

I want a picture of Michael Schumacher going to the Ferrari motorhome to have his place of spaghetti.

5. Many Thanks to you,Keith !
    You´re doing a great job. :)

6. rampante said on 24th February 2010, 9:49

Enjoy the test and keep up the excellent work.

7. maciek said on 24th February 2010, 9:52

I would be interested to know how many journalists there are at the test in all and how many from which country, which type of media, etc. I guess I’m interested to get an overall picture of the make up of the media who cover F1. Perhaps a short interview of someone from an “unusual media background”? (like if you meet someone from, say, Mongolian Motorsprts News)

8. MacLeod said on 24th February 2010, 10:01

Nice one! I hope you will enjoy it!

Watch the tyres for graining expecily after fast times with those 5-9 runs! Those with damaged tyres will do good in q3 but during the race they probaly drop several places. How many right turns has Barcelona? more then left? watch the left rear tyre.

9. Aleksandar Serbia said on 24th February 2010, 10:27

Keith, you need to make yourself important.
    Start forcing people to take you seriously and not just an UberNerd of F1fanatic!
    Try to interview somebody, like a mechanic or PR, on a mini camera, say you need just a little brake to get yourself started.
    Next time get someone from the blog to go with you and hold the camera, to look more professional!
    It would be a shame to have such a passion and dedication to write just a blog, be so close to the stars and get no interviews from mechanics and drivers.
    Boldly go where no nerd has gone before!
    Get yourself into the mainstream!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th February 2010, 10:40

I love the idea that I’d walk up to someone and say ‘I’m an F1 nerd, can I talk to you please…’ That’s not how I present myself!

I spoke to a lot of drivers and PRs at the last test and intend to do more this time round. There’s going to be a lot more people covering the Barcelona test though with it being the last of the year.

• maciek said on 24th February 2010, 17:20

You know Aleksandar, you strike me as really having it in for “F1 nerds”, indeed you strike me as one of those nerds who kinda doesn’t know he’s a nerd, but deep inside something tells him he might be, so he spends his time calling other nerds nerds to make himself feel better.

Anyhoo, I don’t know about you, but coming here every day, several times a day, makes me an F1 nerd – you?

10. I’ll be there too. 4 days of testing…AWESOME!

11. James_mc said on 24th February 2010, 10:46

If you get a chance could you possibly ask Button how the engine in his McLaren feels – i.e. does it feel exactly the same as the Brawn or does it feel different? Or does he only “feel” the car as a whole?

Although if you don’t see JB… never mind!

12. Bit off topic….but not really

Very serious storm approaching western Pyrenne and Galicia. Threatens all of Northern Spain and South West France. Expected to hit in next 48 hours.

Just what this weeks test did not need.

Hope the bloody forecasters are dead wrong

13. Someone’s moving up in the world. :)

14. sato113 said on 24th February 2010, 12:12

every time we click an ad, does that help out?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th February 2010, 12:36

Not really. Only some of the ads are paid on a ‘per click’ basis. And encouraging people to click on ads they aren’t interested in just to generate income (‘click fraud’) is strictly banned and of course I don’t condone it. Their ad-tracking technology that looks out for patterns of fraudulent clicks.

• Does coming to this website 25 times a day help! Because that’s what I do!

Thanks Kieth, keep up the great work.

15. wasiF1 said on 24th February 2010, 12:25

I doubt that will this will make any difference, but 2009 lap record in Barcelona is set by Barrichello in Brawn-Mercedes as 1:22.762.

Have an nice time Keith, looking forward for your post.