Mercedes SLS AMG to lead the pack as new F1 safety car in 2010 (Pictures)

The new Mercedes SLS AMG F1 Safety Car

The new Mercedes SLS AMG F1 Safety Car

F1 is to get a new safety car in 2010. Mercedes are to use their flagship SLS AMG sports car to lead the field when the track is neutralised during races this year.

The company, which has supplied F1’s safety cars since 1996, has also used Michael Schumacher to promote the car in a video advert which was shown before the team revealed the livery for their 2010 contender.

See below for pictures of the Mercedes SLS AMG safety car.

The SLS AMG has a 6.3-litre V8 engine with 571bhp. It’s 0-100kph (62mph) time may not rival an F1 car’s but at 3.8 seconds it’s not to be sniffed at.

The SLS AMG replaces the SL 63 AMG, introduced two years ago. The existing Medical Car, a C63 AMG estate, will remain in use.

Image (C) Daimler

57 comments on Mercedes SLS AMG to lead the pack as new F1 safety car in 2010 (Pictures)

1 2 3
  1. YeaMon said on 26th February 2010, 22:52

This car has a more Brute Strength look to it. I really like the update.

• UneedAFinn2Win said on 26th February 2010, 23:38

Looks to me like the AMG engineers got hold of the old Viper designs after the divorce…

• Mark Hitchcock said on 26th February 2010, 23:49

hmm, yeah. I was about to say that the back end looks just like a Viper.
        The front looks too wide as well.

It looks good as a safety car, but as much as I want to like it, I wouldn’t spend money on it as a road car.

• Oliver said on 28th February 2010, 8:46

The rear looks like a Porsche 928 while the front is like a 50s/60s Mercedes 300 gull wing.

• MigueLP said on 27th February 2010, 17:39

i dont like it it looks a bit too flashy but the main reason i dont like this one its because i really love the old one

2. Prisoner Monkeys said on 26th February 2010, 23:00

I like the SLS. It’s like the new Fiat 500 in that it’s one of those very few cars that are both retro and look good.

3. It should be worth hearing too.
    How much do they want for the old safety car?

4. I love it. That car looks great.

5. It’s ugly. The SLS is a horrid car. Its only use s scrap metal.

• Plink Plonk Plunk said on 27th February 2010, 1:18

That is a great car. Is it stock or does it have upgrades over the street version.

I’ll have two.

6. Rob Wilson said on 26th February 2010, 23:17

It’s a beaut, gullwing doors as well

7. Insert_Name said on 26th February 2010, 23:20

Don’t like the look of the car. Looks awkward to me.

I’ve always believed the safety car should be provided by a neutral third party car manufacturer.

• spawinte said on 26th February 2010, 23:32

Yeah maybe they could get Tata to provide the safety car seeing as Bernie wants to get India interested. No seriously.

• Icthyes said on 26th February 2010, 23:51

Of course, it being Mercedes it will deliberately reverse into all the cars behind it until Schumacher is at the head of the pack…

8. If they’re ever in need of spare driver, I’m willing to give a hand. Wouldnt cost them anything either!

9. manatcna said on 26th February 2010, 23:35

Do I hear anti Mercedes comments? :)

10. Aleksandar Serbia said on 26th February 2010, 23:40

It’s retro, the look goes back in ages, older generation will appreciate it!

11. I heard those chose this car so when the doors opened they would not get driven into by Nick Heidfeld

• newnhamlea1 said on 27th February 2010, 0:05

lol, i hate gull wings they make the car look like a right old (for lack of a better word) munter.

• lucky for them it shouldn’t be a problem this year with him on the sidelines and all…

on a second note I know he’s not the fastest, but he’s dam good and a competent driver….. surely some one will pick him up next year?!?

• James_mc said on 27th February 2010, 11:55

I was about to say the same! Hahahaha!

12. christopher (sennaboy3) said on 27th February 2010, 1:03

i’ll be honest. always have hated mercedes. can’t stand either of the drivers. hate their cars here in the US. but i get a distinct pleasure out of watching & listening to the F1 safety car & this girl is looking very very naughty…can’t wait for Montreal!

13. wasiF1 said on 27th February 2010, 1:13

A lot is changing in F1 so why not the safety car.Can anyone tell me why do Mercedes always gets the chance to supply safety car? Why not Ferrari BMW ( when they where in F1)?

• wasiF1 said on 27th February 2010, 1:18

What is the top speed of the new Mercedes SLS AMG safety car?I knew the old one used to do 260-280 km/h.

• Jarred Walmsley said on 27th February 2010, 3:34

I think that they have a contract with the FIA for X number of years however once that contract is up any manufacturer can bid for the right to supply the safety car. I’m assuming thats why if anyone actually knows please feel free to correct me.

• Adrian said on 27th February 2010, 8:53

Sounds about right to me…

…which raises an interesting question, what car would you choose as safety car?

Personally I’d go with an Audi R8…

• Jarred Walmsley said on 27th February 2010, 8:56

A R8 would be good, independent manufacturer and a good car. A Nissan GTR would also be good.

• Have you ever seen the quality of the interior of a Ferrari? Appalling! You can remove the rear light of the F430 with your bare hand! Seriously….. I have done it before.

Remember this car is not coming direct from Mercedes but from their tuner AMG. So, that is an additional quality. As a Mercedes fan and owner ….. I know what I am talking about :-)

14. Jezson said on 27th February 2010, 1:53

Much prefer the SL AMG. Sorry.

15. wow… really awesome car even just for safety