2010 F1 testing live: 27th February

Virgin need to do as much running as they can today and tomorrow

Virgin need to do as much running as they can today and tomorrow

I’m at the Circuit de Catalunya for the penultimate day of testing ahead of the 2010 F1 season.

I’ll post as much as I can from the track below and on Twitter so join us to follow the test live here.

Times from today’s test

Driver Car Best time Laps Difference
Nico Rosberg Mercedes W01 80.686 128 0
Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR5 81.413 106 0.727
Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 81.45 105 0.764
Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth FW32 81.975 101 1.289
Felipe Massa Ferrari F10 82.344 115 1.658
Vitaly Petrov Renault R30 82.523 68 1.837
Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes VJM03 82.606 61 1.92
Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault RB6 83.123 51 2.437
Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth T127 85.059 102 4.373
Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber-Ferrari C29 86.216 105 5.53
Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth VR-01 86.305 31 5.619

Testing notes

If the first sets of times from Barcelona have shown us anything, it’s that the new teams have the most ground to make up on tracks like the Circuit de Catalunya which place a high emphasis on efficient aerodynamics.

I’m going to be at the track today. It’s my first ever visit to the venue so I don’t know exactly what to expect when I get there, so please bear with me if updates come through a little slowly to begin with.

I hope to get a close look at what stint times the drivers are doing so I can share the information with you and hopefully get a firm idea who is strongest heading into the first race. But it’s clear from what we’ve seen so far this is the hardest pre-season testing form to read in a long time.

Today’s testing line-up

McLaren MP4-25Jenson Button
Mercedes W01Nico Rosberg
Red Bull RB6Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari F10Felipe Massa
Williams FW32Rubens Barrichello
BMW Sauber C29Kamui Kobayashi
Renault R30Robert Kubica
Force India VJM03Adrian Sutil
Toro Rosso STR5Sebastien Buemi
Virgin VR-01Timo Glock
Lotus T127Jarno Trulli

The track: Circuit de Catalunya

The final test of 2010 is being held at the Circuit de Catalunya, where the teams will return later this year for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rubens Barrichello set the fastest time during last year’s Spanish Grand Prix race weekend with a 1’19.954 in Q2. The fastest lap of the race itself was also set by Barrichello, a 1’22.762,

For further comparison, Valentino Rossi lapped the track in a 2008-specification Ferrari on GP2 slick tyres in a time of 1’21.900 earlier this year.

Live Tweets and times

Check out MSFree.gr for live times from the track during the test.

Here’s the latest Tweets from people at the track, including me:

If you would like to suggest a Twitter feed to add to the list, please name them in the comments. The list only updates when this page is refreshed.

2010 F1 testing

62 comments on 2010 F1 testing live: 27th February

1. irishlad (@irishlad) said on 27th February 2010, 10:49

that should bring you straight to the timings.

2. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th February 2010, 11:06

About an hour before lunch, Trulli is doing a race simulation which was interrupted by the red flag caused by Barrichello’s spin.

Renault say they’re going to be trying different fuel loads followed by qualifying and race simulations.

3. david

Thanks.

4. anyone else notice the new ferrari shark fin engine cover on friday?

5. No, really? Where? :)

• its not that clear but if you look at some of the friday testing pictures you can just make it out. i missed it until i caught a reflection in it. thought is must have been made clear if i had missed it so many times so checked pictures and definatly only there on friday.

also a slightly remastered front wing.

6. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th February 2010, 12:07

Here’s the best times by each driver as we head into the lunch break;

Nico Rosberg 1’20.681 (56 laps)
    Sebastien Buemi 1’21.413 (34)
    Adrian Sutil 1’22.951 (22)
    Felipe Massa 1’23.490 (37)
    Rubens Barrichello 1’23.976 (40)
    Jarno Trulli 1’25.059 (61)
    Kamui Kobayashi 1’26.216 (77)
    Vitaly Petrov 1’26.346 (23)
    Jenson Button 1’36.667 (21)
    Timo Glock No Time (16)
    Sebastian Vettel No Time (3)

7. it will be ferrari/red bull then mercedes, rosberg will have a beta year than m.s. Mclaren are way behind those 3. Nt a perfect design without kers.

• what are you on about i think of all teams mclaren have performed the best.

and mercedes, from the way i see it there car isnt as good a renault, bmw or even toro rosso

for me personally it goes malaren, bmw and then ferrari.

• statix said on 27th February 2010, 22:39

sauber runs on low fuel… i would take a closer look at r30. pace not bad (in jerez it was 2nd) but kubica said he did not run on low fuel yet.

8. Sutil sums up perfectly what 2010 F1 will be like:

“For sure the times of sprint racing are over,” he said. “You have to take it easy, make the tyres last as long as possible and save some fuel. In the last 20-30 minutes you can start to push and take it to the limit. It’s more endurance style racing that’s required at the moment.”

“You need to change certain things and probably also your driving style. I think it’s a new challenge, but probably not the most interesting challenge. I love to go to the limit and push it all the race through, that’s what I was used to in the last few years. It’s a new experience probably for most people in F1.”

• HounslowBusGarage said on 27th February 2010, 12:28

Interesting quote from Sutil. But this sentence worries me a bit “I think it’s a new challenge, but probably not the most interesting challenge.”
      Doesn’t exactly sound like a recipe for excitement does it? Hope he’s wrong.

• I think that particular sentence is more to do with what the driver feels rather than what the spectator sees.

• matt88 said on 27th February 2010, 13:05

According to Sutil, F1 racing is just matter of pushing hard the gas pedal.
        If it were so, I’d ask why races should last over 300 km…
        I don’t think that the best pilot is only who’s got the best sense of limit in the optimal car conditions, the best pilot has to be a good manager of the car, with a smooth driving style, etc. and has to be able to feel how the car’s limit changes all along the race.
        I believe that this year, with the refuelling ban and with so similar cars and big question marks about their performances, we’ll see the distance between real drivers and common mortals.

9. Bruno BaKano said on 27th February 2010, 12:30

For me what is most interesting is that yesterday Schumi said the W01 is not as fast as expected and they have to improve in order to chalenge for race wins, but today, Rosberg comes and takes 1s to Michael’s time, and currently has the best time of the session…

Curious. Rosberg is making a point here. He wants to show he’s the better guy, for sure.

This will be on the of the key points of the season beggining. The fight (I say it will a war) for the best position inside Mercedes, between Schumi and Rosberg!

10. “Rosberg comes and takes 1s to Michael’s time, and currently has the best time of the session…”

How much fuel? Which tyres? Track condition? Car configuration?

11. Stefan said on 27th February 2010, 13:10

@ Bruno Bakano

Q. Are you more pleased with the car on low fuel or over a race distance?

Michael Schumacher: I don’t think I have done a qualifying run yet. We are not finished yet, so let’s find out.

There’s the answer, btw 1:19 is possible Button has shown that during last years GP.

12. Bruno BaKano said on 27th February 2010, 13:42

The thing is gaining an advantage over your team-mate.
    Smae thing hapenned in the first test on Jerez. Rosberg was the first to test the car. Micahel comes the next day, after years of retirement and nails a better time.
    Of course that it doesn’t mean anyhting, its not because Rosberg made a 1s better time that it means he’s 1s faster. But on the “war” against your teammate, the next day after your teammate said the car is not good enough you nad a pretty fast time, that’s a statement, and a bit bold statement from Rosberg.

This is what makes F1 very interesting, all these moves to gain the upper hand.

But you guys now if this time from Rosberg was with low fuel? Is it confirmed or not? Do you think it’s impossible for Rosberg to catch a better feeling on the car and/or make some improvements in the settings and get a 1s fastest time, with same tyres and same fuel?

Too many variables I know, but we I don’t think you can say that Rosberg times is due only to low fuel…

I’ not sure if the session continues in the afternoon or not, but nevertheless after this last testing week, when we compare the times, there will be on fact. One guy is faster then the other. Conditions are unknow so only speculation, but the fact will be that one guy will have a faster time than the other, and that for me it may be interesting.

Regarding Rosberg VS Schumi, its VERY interesnting for me.

13. sato113 said on 27th February 2010, 13:51

please do another behind the scenes article for Barcelona!

14. It’s raining again.