Massa’s helmet-cam lap of Jerez (Video)

We don’t see enough helmet-cams in F1 – the last time I remember seeing one was during David Coulthard’s final appearance at Interlagos in 2008.

Happily Felipe Massa has given one a try during testing at Jerez recently – check out the video above.

But you have to wonder what the pictures would have looked like had he been wearing one at the Hungaroring last year…

43 comments on Massa’s helmet-cam lap of Jerez (Video)

1. irishlad (@irishlad) said on 28th February 2010, 9:07

Great video, just a pity the camera isnt a small bit higher, or someone tell Felipe to lift his head up :).

2. babamoto said on 28th February 2010, 9:34

No. Felipe, keep your head down… and safe this year.

3. David B said on 28th February 2010, 9:43

Great video. Some comments:

I wonder what all those pushing buttons and changing settings before he exits the garage really are…to me the driver has really too many stuff to take care as he’s driving. May be they don’t overtake because they have other things to worry about! (joking…partially!).

I wonder why they have speed indication on the wheel. What would it exactly be for?

Would be great if we hade helmet cameras on during races.

With the very high nose cones of 2010 cars it is really hard to see to the front of the car. They can’t imagine where exactly the front is. Wouldn’t surprise me if many will touch the back of the front car during close battles.

• maciek said on 28th February 2010, 9:52

” the driver has really too many stuff to take care as he’s driving. May be they don’t overtake because they have other things to worry about”

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

• Andrew White said on 28th February 2010, 15:21

On the contrary, when the drivers had to use a stick shift to change gears, it often opened up opportunities for overtaking if a driver makes a mistake.

4. maciek said on 28th February 2010, 9:50

Very cool stuff. Nice to see Massa looking smooth behind the wheel. Was this officially released by Ferrari? No in car footage out there from any of the others, I guess?

5. Didn’t Massa try out a helmet cam in testing a couple of years back? May have got muddled up there.
    Wish there were helmet cams during races as Coulthard’s was excellent!
    I like onboards for the angles we get to see but the quality is so high and they are so strong and unmoving that it makes driving a Formula 1 car look easy. Sometimes I wish we had the cameras they used like in the early 90s as they gave a real sense of speed.

6. Ned Flanders said on 28th February 2010, 10:35

It’s a nice idea, but in future it would help if Ferrari would actually point the camera in the right direction. We get a great view of the cockpit and steering wheel but not much else!

7. Adrian said on 28th February 2010, 10:46

Oh. It the video doesn’t seem to want to play on my connection…that’s strange as I’m in the UK and don’t normally have any problems with vids posted on here…

• Rum and Coke said on 28th February 2010, 14:55

what was the error message?? cant help without knowing….#:)

• Adrian said on 1st March 2010, 14:01

There wasn’t one, couldn’t even get that far. The play button on the above viewer is greyed out and even if I do try clicking on it nothing happens…

8. Fantastic, I was probably leaning into the corners with Felipe by the end. That shows the battering a driver gets much better than the fixed onboard cameras, as steph pointed out. Just tweak it upwards slightly and it’ll be perfect.

Its also proves the drivers never look in their mirrors…

9. East Londoner said on 28th February 2010, 11:30

That engine sounded like the ones in the early 1990′s

10. I prefer the videos from helmet cam they released last year as it shows more of the track. I think there was some talk about every driver having a helmet cam last season but it obviously didn’t come to be for some reason.

Here is a video showing Massa around Bahrain track aired last year at Italian television. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIvyhjzFRO0

• George said on 28th February 2010, 14:27

Sound is a bit out of synch on that one, I was impressed by how early he was getting on the throttle until I realised that :P

11. I like the camera that is placed under the track at Melbourne and the cars whizz past real close to it and sometimes drive right over the top of it!

• I think most tracks in most series use those. The hillbilly announcers of NASCAR call them “gopher cams.” They get points for an amusing name.

12. I dont think this is the 2010 car. The Jerez test was february 2010. At the end of this film appears (C) Ferrari 2009………….

13. Joey-Poey said on 28th February 2010, 16:10

Wow, that was MUCH better than my experiences with cameras fixed on the cars. They’re so common place now, it took watching some footage from ’86 and seeing what kind of a fuss they made of having an in-car camera to realize how special it used to be getting to see these views. But anymore, with them statically pointed where ever the car is pointed, it feels like a video game. This felt intensely more like actually being in the car, leaning into the corners, looking where I’m going rather than staring straight ahead. As a film nerd, I have to imagine this is what it felt like to the first cinema-goers ducking from the oncoming train on the screen.

• Scribe said on 28th February 2010, 16:24

I don’t think we got Massa’s veiw there really. I mean all you could see was the nose. I think a lightly better placed Helmet calm would have been fantastic but this just left me wanting imporvements.

14. Gary Foreman said on 28th February 2010, 17:28

wow…loved the video and the sounds of course….now i am excited and cannot wait for the 1st race of the year

15. Rob Wilson said on 28th February 2010, 18:33

cant see much till it gets to about 4:00 then u can see some of the track lol xD