US F1 closes down

US F1 has closed its factory less than two weeks before it was supposed to begin competing in Formula 1.

According to Autosport the remaining staff have been laid off. I have been trying to contact the team for several days without success.

There has not yet been an official announcement from the team.

It remains to be seen if there will be time for their entry to be taken up by Stefan GP with the first practice session at Bahrain just ten days away.

Read more: US F1 set to abandon F1 bid

113 comments on US F1 closes down

1. Alex White said on 3rd March 2010, 0:41

Made me giggle a bit, but USF1 being over is kinda sad. I did want them to do well when they were announced, but ah well.. (G’won Stefan/ lotus :D)

2. zerogee said on 3rd March 2010, 0:42

Gman, who usually argues with me ;-) is right – the location wasn’t the problem, it was the geese in charge. I wouldn’t like to call Anderson and Windsor liars, but they are cowards who didn’t even deliver the bad news to the 60 people now out of work (if Autosport is to be believed). The whole thing was a stunt, they chanced their arm and they should now be made to pay. All Windsor and Anderson ever talked about was their dream to go racing. I don’t think they could put together a V8 Supercar team let alone a F1 team. I think even if they had the money they’d screw it up. With all the stories flying around, it seems they had $16m of driver money (over a third of their planned budget) and allegedly had Hurley money (I don’t think they ever had any folding from him, to be brutally honest). And they still messed it up. The skunkworks approach was complete nonsense.

A properly funded American team with smart people and no egos would and could be great. I still think USF1 was fundamentally flawed in its logistics and plans to operate two bases and all that rubbish.

Big time.

As for the Stefan GP antipathy…well, I’m not sure what to make of it. They’ll probably be faster than Lotus from Bahrain to Spain and that’s no insult to Lotus – Toyota spent a lot of money on that car, one imagines. But if the Gascoyne effect takes hold, Sauber, Williams and Renault better watch out.

I want a full grid – don’t you all?

• Gman said on 3rd March 2010, 2:51

See, we can indeed get along, haha ;)

Indeed, my point is that, while things like the location were much different than other F1 teams, USF1 has flopped for the exact same reason as most other F1 flops have…mismanagement of one sort or another. I have no doubt the guys on the shop floor worked as hard as anyone on the project, but if the people at the top can’t make even basic decisions, it all won’t amount to anything at the end of the day.

If the project had the proper funding and competent management- as I thought for so long it did- it could have been a fantastic concept. But apparently, all the talk at the beginning was just that- talk. Either that or a whole house of cards came falling down- I suppose we’ll find out the whole story somewhere down the road.

• zerogee said on 3rd March 2010, 10:38

The whole story? From Windsor? Not likely. According to Autoweek, he’s already abandoned the place and is presumably going cap in hand to some media outlet. I think Bernie should ban him from the paddock for bringing the sport into disrepute.

3. wasiF1 said on 3rd March 2010, 1:20

Bring Srefan GP on Bahrain,but with no testing will they be competitive?

Any news on Campos ?

4. Patrick said on 3rd March 2010, 1:43

Terribly unshocking. Didn’t call this as the finish before it started.

pathetic. and yet, as an American I feel happy as this is less embarrassment than the team would be if it hit the grid.

good riddance.

5. narboza22 said on 3rd March 2010, 4:41

How did this end up happening? Weren’t Windsor and Anderson planning on entering F1 for the past few years? I was under the impression that the idea behind USF1 was born long before all the issues last year which ended up with the FIA opening more spots on the grid. How could this team, which I thought had been in the works for years, have failed so miserably when teams like Lotus and Virgin, who only found out a couple of months ago that they were joining F1, have cars running and ready to go.

I hate to say it, but Ferrari is right. USF1 is out, Campos has yet to be seen, and if I remember correctly, Trulli said his car is 4 seconds off the pace. Virgin has yet to inspire me either. Maybe the next time the FIA decides to add 6 cars to the grid, they will pay more attention to Pro Drive and Lola.

Even better, if Todt were to make nice with the manufacturers, he could go after VW, which I heard rumors about looking at F1, and to finally have a presence in the US, Ford.

• BasCB said on 3rd March 2010, 7:26

Do you seriously believe, that any new team, save one using customer cars, can be anywhere near the pace right from the start?

While 4 seconds seems a lot, and takes an enormous amount of work to bridge, it is actually less than 5 % of the laptime.

Branson had a point there, stating the handicap of the new teams not to be able to test more than the established teams and catch them up.
      As can be expected in the highest level of Motorsport, experience at this level is needed to be at the top of the grid.
      That is what makes the top outfits, i.e. the teams of McLaren and Ferrari, Mr. Brawn, Mr. Newey.

• Adrian said on 3rd March 2010, 12:44

Thing is though, it’s been said in the past that it’s easier to close up from the back of the pack than it is to move from mid-field to front-runner.

So I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Lotus and (perhaps) Virgin closing that gap quite quickly…

6. VXR said on 3rd March 2010, 9:07

I remember McLaren being 2.5 to 3 seconds off the pace at the beginning of last season. Terrible it was, and so embarrassing. They should never have been allowed to start the season. LOL

And the less said about their 95 season etc, the better.

7. maciek said on 3rd March 2010, 9:14

Well, it sure would be good to eventually see an investigative journalism piece that would reconstruct what happened at USF1, from its inception to its demise… it could then be mandated as required reading for all hopeful F1 entrants as a “How not to do it” reader.

Really feel sorry for all F1 fans in the States.

8. PJA said on 3rd March 2010, 9:37

Well I suppose the only thing left is for USF1 to be officially withdrawn from the Championship. I am sad that they have failed but the writing has been on the wall for a while.

The focus will now be on whether Stefan GP are allowed to race, I hope they are as I would like a full grid and it seems people like Ecclestone will be trying to make it happen so that will increase their chances, but this being F1 I don’t know what will happen.

9. I’m getting pretty tired of reading “The FIA have made a mess of the selection procedure”. No they didn’t, they simply decided on it, operated it and this is the mess the entrants have got themselves into. Who the hell are the FIA supposed to be, God? They are a regulatory body not a Mummy to wipe everybody’s noses.

10. Artur said on 3rd March 2010, 12:56

Finally sick of hearing about usf1 obviously the problems are with the management of usf1 they had more time then the other teams starting out and always saying that they are ahead of schedula and will be their on the starting of the grid and look what happens …..promises promises and now the end oh well only i feel sorry for all the workers that were promised big things and now no jobs shame on u usf1

11. spudw said on 3rd March 2010, 18:09

Hate to say it, but I doubted them from the begining. Windsor and Anderson spent too much time in TV interviews talking up a minimalist F1 team concept and too little time establishing the credibility they would need to bring on sponsors and deliver a car on time.

What is infuriating is that a team that has failed spectacularly continues to have the arrogance to stand in the way of a team that has resources, a car and a former world champion driver ready to go. Stephan GP was even ready to test and would have had more laps on their car than Hispania (nee Campos) and as many as Lotus and Virgin. The FIA should have waved the blue flag on USF1 weeks ago.

Sad state of affairs…

12. kapow said on 3rd March 2010, 23:12

now how about them toasters!!

13. cecavac said on 4th March 2010, 12:38

Bravo USF1.bravo FIA,what a dreamers.I feel sorry for Stefan GP.

14. Chaz said on 11th March 2010, 17:54

And so they should give the spare grid position to Stephan GP…