Video lap of the new Bahrain circuit

Mark Webber drivers the revised Bahrain circuit in Red Bull's simulator

Mark Webber drivers the revised Bahrain circuit in Red Bull's simulator

Red Bull have used their F1 simulator to produce a video lap of the revised Bahrain Grand Prix circuit.

Mark Webber narrates and drives the lap of the track which will hold the first practice session of the 2010 season in one weeks’ time. See below for the video.

Unfortunately the video doesn’t show the new section in great detail, but Webber does comment that it’s “very slow”.

From other images we have seen the new section looks narrower than the rest of the track and, given that it is not used as often as the rest of the circuit, it is likely to offer less grip.

When details of the change were announced the circuit chairman said he expected the new loop would offer “new overtaking opportunities” but from seeing this it doesn’t seem very likely.

Thanks to Red Bull for the video. I especially like that the second thing Webber could think of to say about the Bahrain Grand Prix was “not many people around…”

Read more: Bahrain gets longer, slower new layout

77 comments on Video lap of the new Bahrain circuit

1 2 3
  1. Chris P said on 5th March 2010, 8:47

I wonder if the Red Bull simulator throws in the odd engine failure for real authenticity?

2. Giuseppe said on 5th March 2010, 8:50

I like Webber. I wish him all the best this year because the clock is ticking for him

• BBT said on 5th March 2010, 8:56

He looked very quick and consistent in testing (I know it was only testing), I think he’ll be closer to Vettel this year maybe even in front, I certainly think he can race better.

• Actually, last season Webber was ahead of Vettel with only 6 races to go.

Of course, in those last few races, he got punted off by Kubica in Monza, suffered a brake failure in Singapore and had a multitude of technical problems in Japan.

• MuzzleFlash said on 5th March 2010, 11:43

Yeh, it was great to see him finish the season with the 1st & 2nd finishes in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

• Salty said on 5th March 2010, 22:14

Great video. Often wondered what these pro-simulators looked like (yes, a sad F1 gamer/overlooked F1 champ to the core).

Agree Webber seems to be one of the good guys. And in true Aussie style, tells it like it is. Certainly wish him all the best for the new season, but suspect Vettel will pip him again though. Key to this will be in Vettel curbing his enthusiasm and thus managing his car better, especially now tyre wear is going to prove a major factor in deciding postions, and ultimately, the championship.

Webber, I suspect, finds himself in the uneviable postion, of having to drive with a pacey racey teammate. Perhaps Button and Webber could spill a few beers on the subject before the season is out.

3. GeeMac said on 5th March 2010, 9:06

“Pretty slow to be honest”…Mark doesn’t sound convinced that the circuit change will have much of an effect.

Interesting that the “3 genuine overtaking opportunites” are all at corners which were on the “original” layout.

• Scribe said on 5th March 2010, 12:03

This extended circuit doesn’t provide new one’s it looses an old one. It does come at the end of an old one so I suppose what it is really for is to try and induce wheel to wheel from diferrent exit lines on the precedeing corner in an overtaking attempt.

It’s a bit like the luffield section really, a silly mickey mouse corner which subtracts from the overall character of the circuit.

4. iceshiel said on 5th March 2010, 9:18

Anyone agrees with me that Red Bull should do this as a video series for every race of the season?

5. maciek said on 5th March 2010, 9:25

Compared to the new layout http://pickle92.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/800px-bahrain_international_circuit-endurance_circuit-svg1.png, the old track basically went straight from turn 4 to turn 15 – they’ve added 10 turns. And although the new section makes the track more interesting on paper, there’s something that feels pointlessly convoluted about it.

6. Craig said on 5th March 2010, 9:34

I’ve driven the 2010 Bahrain layout in rFactor and the new section is simply awful.

Very slow and fiddly – it will provide zero overtaking opportunities. To be honest I don’t know how anyone involved in designing this section ever thought it would help.

• GeeMac said on 5th March 2010, 9:44

After having looked at the map that maciek posted they must have thought that turns 9, 11 and 14 were the “new” overtaking opportunities. But after having seen Webber’s simulation lap, they seem to have just added 9 corners for the sake of making the circuit a bit longer, thus reducing the number of laps in the race, which means that there will be a few less chances to overtak though the “3 genuine overtaking opportunites” that Webber pointed out.

7. I like this new track. Is bigger, more emotion on one lap!

• James_mc said on 5th March 2010, 10:06

Less laps though, so less overtaking = Less “emotion”.

• LAK said on 5th March 2010, 23:18

I actually think I agree with Ylan Marcel, it really divided the circuit into a slow twisty part and a faster free flowing part.. After they are done with the new section I actually felt quite excited about the faster part, which didn’t really stand out for me in the past..

It’s interesting that it goes from one extreme to the other.. I think it made the circuit much more diverse, not sure how will it affect the racing, but it will affect they way they set up the cars..

8. Asda said on 5th March 2010, 10:04

The editing makes it very difficult to follow the circuit.

9. Ned Flanders said on 5th March 2010, 10:47

For the circuit management to claim this loop will offer “new overtaking oppurtunities” is quite simply a lie.

10. Mark webber is so cool

11. David said on 5th March 2010, 11:53

Is there a rule somewhere that forbids fast tracks???
    This loop is simply stupid.

12. steph said on 5th March 2010, 12:09

Off topic but the forums aren’t here anyway there’s an interesting piece on Stefan GP here http://www.f1technical.net/news/14333?sid=068c8c094f83a122ed0c2d2069d648a3 I don’t know how trustworthy it is mind so any help would be great.

• dsob said on 5th March 2010, 13:31

Went and read that, then popped around the net to see what else was to be had.

From what I can gather, a lot was lost in the translation. AMCO has released a statement apologising for any misunderstandings. But, geeez, if they are trying to communicate with a sector that is primarily English-speaking, they really needed to employ a native English speaker to write their website/press releases.

They say, what they meant to convey was that one of their engineers had worked on the engine project with another company. Said project of other company was sold to Bundeswher. They mentioned this evidently to illustrate the calibre of employees on the payroll.

And there was a lot of talk of AMCO being some sort of “shell” corporation, only put together in 2008, having a small income and only one employee. And AMCO supposedly owns StefanGP. Well, actually, I don’t see a problem there. It’s common practice to create a limited liability corporation to own another company, to protect one’s main company(NOT AMCO) from untoward loss if a new venture goes toes-up. That of course is the intent of a “limited liability” corp–most all countries have this business option, and if you check I’ll bet your dentist and his partners share the practice under a LLC. I believe Zoran Stefanovich owns, or is a stockholder, in companies other than AMCO. So AMCO, to own StefanGP, was his way of—quite legally–protecting his other investments and other shareholders.

There was also a lot comparing AMCO to Qadbak, which I reject. At least AMCO’s info was readily available, which is more than I can say for Qadbak.

Of course, I could have read it all wrong, and am open to correction.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 5th March 2010, 14:03

The least they could have done was employ a good translator to make sure there weren’t any misunderstandings like this.

• steph said on 5th March 2010, 14:54

Thanks Dsob. I agree with you and Mark, would think they would have got a good translator :S

13. Rob R. said on 5th March 2010, 12:34

Another pointless Mickey Mouse piece of crap.

14. matt90 said on 5th March 2010, 12:50

Shame that during the new section it mainly showed Webber talking rather than the simulation.

15. yer I watched this video podcast earlier today, good stuff from RBR, they seem to be the only team that do something for the fans…

Also good little video too….cheers Red Bull