“F1 2010″ by Codemasters arrives for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in September

Early screenshot of F1 2010 by Codemasters

Early screenshot of F1 2010 by Codemasters

The long-awaited 2010 F1 season game by Codemasters will go on sale in September this year.

“F1 2010″ is being produced for Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. Players will get to drive the new Korean Grand Prix circuit in the game before the cars have raced there for real.

See below for the first screenshots of the game.

The only officially-licensed F1 game will feature all the tracks and cars from this year’s F1 season. The new rules including the refuelling ban will also be simulated.

However none of last season’s cars will feature due to licensing restrictions.

Here’s how Codemasters describe the title:

In “F1 2010″ gamers will take on the full, expanded grid in a variety of game modes including Grand Prix, Championship, Time Trial and an extensive, innovative Career mode. “F1 2010″ will also feature a highly advanced damage model, fully dynamic weather system and extensive competitive multiplayer options.

In production at Codemasters Studios Birmingham, “F1 2010″ is being developed using the EGO Game Technology Platform, Codemasters? proprietary tech that powered the critically acclaimed, million-plus selling “Colin McRae: Dirt 2″ and “Race Driver: Grid”. The award-winning technology has been further developed to accurately recreate the unique aerodynamics and handling of 200mph-plus Formula One cars. The tech combined with Codemasters? unprecedented access to Formula One teams and drivers will ensure that “F1 2010″ delivers the most authentic Formula One racing experience yet.

There will be a launch event for the game next week at which I hope to find out more about the title, such as how they plan to create a realistic version of a circuit that hasn’t been raced on yet.

When the game was first announced last year we drew up an exhaustive wish list with over 300 comments suggesting ideas fans would like to see in it. Which of these should make it into the final game?

Let me know what else you’d like to find out about the game at the launch in the comments.

“F1 2010″ pictures

Codemasters “F1 2010″

107 comments on “F1 2010″ by Codemasters arrives for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in September

1. DanThorn said on 10th March 2010, 14:39

Ok, so we have to wait a bit but I don’t mind, I’ve been waiting years for GT5.

I don’t think I’ll get it for a while – I certainly wont pay full whack when it comes out – because I’ve been underawed by every F1 game since the excellent F1 ’97 on PSX and I don’t want to spend £40 on something I’ll enjoy for a week then give up on to play something else.

• ajokay said on 10th March 2010, 14:45

F1 ’97 was the last console-based F1 game I played too. Magical that game was. Nothing has lived up to it since. I downloaded the F1 Championship Edition demo for the PS3 and was underwhelmed. Plus it has James Allen commentating…

2. Cameron said on 10th March 2010, 14:51

That Ego engine is really starting to look washed out and dull these days. I hope the graphics are much sharper on the final product with less glow/flare effects in the lighting.

I enjoy a lot of Codemasters racing titles, and I’m sure this will be no different. Hopefully the final version has a scalable difficulty… so new comers can enjoy it just as much as us die hard folk.

3. Stephen_P83 said on 10th March 2010, 14:56

Questions…

1. Is it going to be a realistic sim with pitstops, any team to driver radio, realistic changes to handling as the tires wear and will we be able to adjust the front wing?

2. What does the career mode entail? Will we start our career in Virgin and attempt to land a drive at Ferrari?

3. Will the race weekend include all three practice sessions, qual, and then the race?

4. Will there also be the arcade mode where someone can just turn the game on and have fun without worrying with the setup and handling so much?

P.S. I don’t care if this game comes out the same day at GT5, I will buy both. How could you possibly not buy this game if you’re an F1 fan?

• Mark Hitchcock said on 10th March 2010, 16:49

1. Judging by past F1 games I’d guess that they will definitely have pitstops and definitely have realistic tyre wear. But as the adjustable front wing has kinda been ignored by most people last year I doubt they’ll have that.

2. The last F1 game I bought (F1 06) had you starting in one of the slowest teams and working your way up so I imagine this will be similar.

3. Again, in F1 06 you had the option to do all the practice sessions, quali and the race. But you didn’t have to.

4. Almost certainly. They’d be mad to make the whole game an arcadey game like Grid, but they’d be even more mad if they completely ignored the casual gamers who just want to stick the disc in and have a race without having to learn how to drive an F1 car properly.

4. Tombong said on 10th March 2010, 15:02

Can’t wait… Gran Turismo 5 also will be released around that time isn’t it!?

5. ajokay said on 10th March 2010, 15:27

When you finish a race, will you have to wait until next time you turn the console on and load up your save game to know the final result?

6. Adrian said on 10th March 2010, 15:34

I want to know what the damage “engine” will be like. Granted I haven’t played an F1 game for years and years, but I was always very disappointed that the damage to the cars seemed to be all-or-nothing.

I guess it’s probably too advanced even for today’s consoles, but I’d love if you could damage you front wing endplate against another car and the handling of your car change ever so slightly as a result…

But as I say, probably too advanced to program still…

• Joey-Poey said on 10th March 2010, 17:33

Not at all. Indycar Racing 1 and 2 included that as far back as 1992 and 1994. They should just resurrect Papyrus and get them to make the games IMHO.

7. Joey-Poey said on 10th March 2010, 15:38

VERY eager for this. I mostly want it to feel more like a simulation when driving rather than something with arcade physics and handling. Racing in Forza 2 and 3 is ridiculously fun because of the realism and challenge, but without open wheels like Indy cars or F1 it’s felt lacking for some time. But then maybe I’ve just gotten spoiled by simulators over the past few years.

But, I have heard some people suggest the ability to switch between an arcade mode and a simulation mode, which I think would be a nice compromise so that the hardcore drivers aren’t disappointed and the casual gamers aren’t scared away.

8. Edward Marshall said on 10th March 2010, 15:46

Ive been waiting for this for ages, i must admit i was hoping for a June/July but still im sure it will be amazing!

9. I can’t wait to buy this. I still use GP4, albeit with the Vazalm 2008 MOD.

10. So looking forward to this! The EGO graphic engine is very impressive. The in-game visuals in Race Driver: GRID and DIRT 2 is full of detail, you can even feel the crunch of the suspension when driving those dirt-buggies in DIRT 2!

Hopefully the game is fun to play compare to the previous high definition F1 racing game on the PlayStation 3, Formula One: Championship Edition (which is based on the 2006 season).

11. nayanesh said on 10th March 2010, 15:50

I want to know how reallistic the driving simulation would be?Will we be able to communicate with the pit crew?And will there be a helmet cam?

12. Andre said on 10th March 2010, 16:17

OMG, I cant wait till the end of the year :(

13. Andrew said on 10th March 2010, 16:47

I’m pretty stoked for this game, just as long as the physics for GRID aren’t applied to F12010. That would completely ruin it for me.

14. sato113 said on 10th March 2010, 16:58

‘However none of last season’s cars will feature due to licensing restrictions.’
    why would they feature 2009 cars anyway???

• chaosthoery said on 11th March 2010, 1:14

Wouldnt it be great to have two seasons in one game? Like in F1C 99-02 with 4 seasons :)

15. DamionShadows said on 10th March 2010, 17:26

I’m really looking forward to this game. However, I hope it plays as well as the last F1 game for PS3 instead of the more arcade like open wheel cars in GRID.