Sutil heads Bahrain free practice one

Adrian Sutil was fastest in the first session of the year driving the VJM03

Adrian Sutil was fastest in the first session of the year driving the VJM03

Adrian Sutil put Force India at the top of the times sheets at following free practice one at Bahrain.

Ferrari and McLaren also headed the times during the 90-minute session with Fernando Alonso ending the session second quickest ahead of the man who replaced him at Renault, Robert Kubica.

The three new teams struggled to find the pace on the extended Bahrain circuit. The two Lotus drivers many several laps but at Virgin only Timo Glock was able to set a time.

Neither HRT car managed a time either. Karun Chandhok spent the entire session in the pits while Bruno Senna went out for just three laps. On his final tour of the circuit he was 15 seconds off the pace over the first two sectors.

Bahrain Grand Prix free practice 1 times

19 24 Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 2’03.680 7.097 8
20 19 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 2’03.848 7.265 21
21 18 Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 2’03.970 7.387 15
22 25 Lucas di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 2
23 21 Bruno Senna HRT-Cosworth 3
24 20 Karun Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 0

More analysis of the practice times later today at F1 Fanatic.

112 comments on Sutil heads Bahrain free practice one

1. Cpt Chaos said on 12th March 2010, 9:24

Does anyone know if MercedesGp had the new diffusor installed or not ?

2. spawinte said on 12th March 2010, 9:26

I thought all the cars were bouncing and juddering fairly alarmingly around some of the turns.

• Nick Someone said on 12th March 2010, 9:32

Yes very bumpy up that tight hilly bit.

Still don’t really know for sure what’s going on. I think they should introduce a rule that they have to tell us the fuel weights at all times.

3. Ronman said on 12th March 2010, 9:28

we might be laughing at HRT now, but if they manage to be reliable cars, and their driver prudent and do the race as a test… the new regulation might catch out some of the guys in front of them, and yipe they finish and in the off chance might score a point… remember points run down to 10th this year so it wont be as hard as usual.

• Nick Someone said on 12th March 2010, 9:35

Can’t really say anything about them yet. they have done 3 shake down laps. If anyone is laughing they shouldn’t be. I know they are struggling to get the cars on track and I assume reliability will be a big problem for them, but I can’t determine anything about performance yet.

4. gazzap said on 12th March 2010, 9:33

when i heard the news teams were joining F1 I was excited, but I am not sure now. does it really improve F1 to have these teams so far off the pace? last season was great because even the slowest teams were pretty good, and teams like Force India had a few really great races – no one was well off the pace like now. I dont think its good for the sport.

5. GeeMac said on 12th March 2010, 9:33

Why did Di Grassi not manage any laps?

6. Sirko said on 12th March 2010, 9:40

Sauber doesn’t look fast, that’s the biggest surprise for me at this moment.

• Enigma said on 12th March 2010, 9:41

I expected them to be a bit slower in practices and qualifyings, as they’re true potential is that they don’t ruin tyres quickly – which helps the most in the race. But I didn’t expect them to be this slow.

7. Prisoner Monkeys said on 12th March 2010, 9:41

Has anybody else notised the way the grey Hispania livery tends to blend in with the track?

• ajokay said on 12th March 2010, 9:50

I would have noticed, but the two shades of grey are so similar, I didn’t even realise the car was there!

On another note, the biggest disappointments for me were Williams and Sauber, but then this is only FP1, and they could have been running any kind of setup and fuel levels. Biggest surprise for me would be Kubica in the Renault, I really didn’t expect him to be up there.

• GeeMac said on 12th March 2010, 10:09

Don’t worry, the yellow helmet wil help clear up any confusion between car and track.

• Salty said on 12th March 2010, 10:26

A disembodied yellow helmet whipping round the track – very odd imagery.

• ajokay said on 12th March 2010, 13:09

I remember you can do that in Grand Prix 2 on the PC. When I was having a go at modding the files and textures, I accidentially deleted some car files… some of the teams had cars made up of 4 wheels and a floating helmet!

• Calum said on 12th March 2010, 16:18

Could be dangerous for other drivers when asphalt grey coloured pieces fall off the dodgy HRT and onto the track!!!

8. The Red Bulls didn’t look good out there..
    But its still too early to tell, Next practice will be better, warmer and more rubber on track.

I like that sutil was out in front, i think they will be dangerous all season. But that they just have a real shot in top score now in the beginning before some other team pass them in development.

9. VXR said on 12th March 2010, 9:43

I’m not too surprised that Lotus/Virgin/HRT are seven seconds behind at the moment. They will more than likely be concentrating on full tank running, since there would seem to be no point doing otherwise. The other teams will be looking for a compromise setup for both qualifying and the race, whereas Lotus/Virgin/HRT need only worry about race setup, knowing that they will not be getting through to Q2 in qualifying.

10. Prisoner Monkeys said on 12th March 2010, 9:43

I have to say … I’m kind of disappointed. The sheer coverage of the off-season testing has meant that I’m missing the whole “Yes! It’s finally here! The new season of acing is about to begin!” excitement. It feels like we’re in the middle of the season.

• Will said on 12th March 2010, 9:52

Agreed. Also, I was kind of expecting something to all come together and we would see an actual pecking order. I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow!

I am also a bit saddened that the words “McLaren” and “controversy” are in the same sentence again… It is not their fault this time, all they have done is be clever, but it would be nice if all results this season weren’t marked “provisional” for a week after the race.

• I found exactly the same thing!

I think qualifying might get the juices flowing a bit more :)

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 12th March 2010, 10:00

It probabl doesn’t help that I won’t be able to get any coverage until 10:30pm on Sunday night – and even then, it probably won’t be live. The local broadcaster tends to put the races on late because they only care about the Autralian Grand Prix.

That, and the fact that 2009 was the first time I actually got to watch a full season at my leisure. I didn’t have a television from 2006-2008 (and when I did have access to one, it was usually taken by the Grey’s Anatomy fanclub), I worked very early on Monday mornings in 2005 and was usually too exhausted to stay up past 9pm, I was doing my HSC in 2004 and so had no time for it, and in 2003 I was only sixteen, so anything earlier than that and I was never really old enough to watch every race and follow every pice of news the way I obsessively-compulsively do now.

11. Enigma said on 12th March 2010, 9:47

Did anyone expect so slow times? I thought they would need around 1.45 for a lap.

12. yelrom said on 12th March 2010, 9:47

Last year Red Bull were 9th and 12th in firday practice 1 in Baharin. Thye wen’t onto score a 2nd place and could have done better if not Webber being held up. So I believe that we can’t rely on prac 1 to much.

13. m0tion said on 12th March 2010, 9:49

Trap times on F1 Live has the Mercedes powered cars on top, low downforce Force india or tricked up wing McLaren or maybe just that Merc engine. Funny Kubica and Petrov both getting a mention even with their lagging engine.

14. Prisoner: that’s on demand media saturation for ya. :)

And shakedown or not, that HRT car looked extremely unbalanced. I almost felt sorry they put Bruno’s name on that car in such a large typeface, as it was easy to read while the car was skiddishly understeering at low speeds…

Now I’m even more curious how they’ll perform against the other newcomers.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 12th March 2010, 9:56

Well, considering that the car had never been driven before – much less driven in anger – it’s not surprising that the car looked unstable. They had absolutely no idea what kind of setup data they’d need; sure, Virgin and Lotus haven’t driven around Bahrain before, but they know how their cars respond to setup changes. Hispania have no idea, but now tat they’d got several laps’ worth of data, they should be good for the second session.

15. BBC red button wasnt working for me :-(