Vettel holds back Ferrari charge for pole (Bahrain Grand Prix qualifying)

Sebastian Vettel spoiled Ferrari's party by grabbing pole position

Sebastian Vettel spoiled Ferrari's party by grabbing pole position

Sebastian Vettel will start the first race of the year from pole position after heading qualifying for Red Bull.

He needed just one run at the end of Q3 to displace the Ferrari duo at the front of the field.

But Michael Schumacher could only manage seventh on his return to F1.

Q1

It was no surprise to see all three of the new teams eliminated in Q1. But the battle for newbie honours was close, with Timo Glock edging Jarno Trulli by one tenth of a second.

After a mammoth struggle with hydraulic problems HRT F1 finally managed to get Karun Chandhok on the circuit for the first time. He did seven laps on his first run and although he was slowest he will be able to start tomorrow’s race. He shares the back row of the grid with team mate Bruno Senna.

Jaime Alguersuari had the distinction of being the only one of the established runners to be knocked out.

Drivers eliminated in Q1

18. Jaime Alguersuari – 1’57.071
19. Timo Glock – 1’59.782
20. Jarno Trulli – 1’59.852
21. Heikki Kovalainen – 2’00.313
22. Lucas di Grassi – 2’00.587
23. Bruno Senna – 2’03.240
24. Karun Chandhok – 2’04.904

Q2

Vettel showed his hand in Q3, setting the quickest time which was also half a second better than team mate Mark Webber managed.

Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso traded fastest times early on. But things were not going so well at McLaren.

Both their drivers had to make a second attempt to ensure they made the cut and Jenson Button scraped into tenth place by less than two tenths of a second.

The Williams pair were also eliminated though Rubens Barrichello finally showed his hand and beat Nico H???lkenberg by half a second.

Vitantonio Liuzzi also failed to make the cut – he was around seven tenths slower than Adrian Sutil who did reach the top ten.

While Robert Kubica made it through to Q3 team mate Vitaly Petrov was 1.7 seconds slower and last in Q2.

Drivers eliminated in Q2

11. Rubens Barrichello – 1’55.330
12. Vitantonio Liuzzi – 1’55.653
13. Nico H???lkenberg – 1’55.857
14. Pedro de la Rosa – 1’56.237
15. Sebastien Buemi – 1’56.265
16. Kamui Kobayashi – 1’56.270
17. Vitaly Petrov – 1’56.619

Q3

With the top ten qualifiers having to start the race on the same tyres they qualified teams tried different strategies in Q3.

Ferrari and McLaren both sent their drivers out for early laps followed by a tyre change and a final run. The other simply bided their time until the last possible moment.

While Alonso and Massa headed the times a mistake by Lewis Hamilton left him with a slow lap. Button didn’t get a flying lap in on his first run and returned to the pits after just an out- and in-lap.

Vettel headed the queue of runners making their final runs and his RB6′s pace through the middle sector proved decisive. That extra tenth of a second accounted for most of his advantage over second-placed Massa.

Hamilton’s run lifted him to fourth ahead of Nico Rosberg in the Mercedes.

Once again Michael Schumacher was a crucial couple of tenths slower than his team mate, leaving him seventh ahead of Button.

Vettel hailed the car’s performance as a “big surprise” after their problematic practice session yesterday. But do they have the race pace to match their qualifying performance? We’ll find out tomorrow.

Top ten drivers in Q3

1. Sebastian Vettel, 1’54.101
2. Felipe Massa, 1’54.242
3. Fernando Alonso, 1’54.608
4. Lewis Hamilton, 1’55.217
5. Nico Rosberg, 1’55.241
6. Mark Webber, 1’55.284
7. Michael Schumacher, 1’55.524
8. Jenson Button, 1’55.672
9. Robert Kubica, 1’55.885
10. Adrian Sutil, 1’56.309

223 comments on Vettel holds back Ferrari charge for pole (Bahrain Grand Prix qualifying)

1 2 3 5
  1. Red Bull are quick on the one laps but the question is can they hold it together for a race distance. Unfortunately as a Red Bull fan I can see a Ferrari win on the cards tomorrow.

I was surprised to see McLaren struggling a little!

• hvk101 said on 13th March 2010, 12:39

Vettel and Massa are on the soft compounds. Not too sure about Fernando’s compound. I’m still tipping Fernando for the victory tomorrow.

• MigueLP said on 13th March 2010, 13:14

Like i´ve been saying on my responses
      This year The gaps are larger this year there aint going to be top 10 in the same second maybe on the end of the year specially on big circuits like this one the qually definatly is less interesting then the previous years but i bet the races will be better from now on

2. Prisoner Monkeys said on 13th March 2010, 12:37

Go Vettel.

I’d have been fuming if Ferrari got pole or lockd out the front row.

• why ?

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 13th March 2010, 13:44

Because of late, the seem to think they’re the only team in the sport and that everybody else is there by th grace of their charity. They’ve become a dark parody of their fomer selves, more interested in beating everyone off the track thanin an actual, fair race.

• Powerslave said on 13th March 2010, 13:51

“…they seem to think they’re the only team in the sport and that everybody else is there by th grace of their charity…”

Well, yes they are! F1 w/o Ferrari isn’t F1! :P

• Sean said on 13th March 2010, 14:15

Oh, dear.

• Arne said on 13th March 2010, 14:27

You got a point, but would F1 be F1 without McLaren?
            It’s not only Ferrari who makes F1 F1, it’s just a combination of different things.

• BigGalah said on 13th March 2010, 20:56

So say the Ferrari fans. I don’t think any team is bigger that the sport they participate in. The sport would go on without them and the majority of fans would not be to worried!

• Mike said on 14th March 2010, 4:53

F1 does not need Ferrari, If Ferrari left, the worst real problem would be that like Heidfeld, maybe Massa or Alonso would struggle to get a drive.

I rather hope that they grow up, and play fair.
            I hate Elitism.

• Mike said on 14th March 2010, 4:56

First I realised that I wrote something before I thought, Then I realise that he was joking…. (slaps head)… idiot

• Carl27 said on 13th March 2010, 22:10

Obviously your statement is a fact. Interesting… is that why Mclaren stole their secret information in 2007?

• Mike said on 13th March 2010, 13:23

Agreed

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th March 2012, 14:59

Looking at the comments in 2012, it’s strange to see how everyone cheered for Vettel (not knowing he’d set most pole positions in 2010 and 2011) and how now nobody would like to see him on pole/win, for a change.

3. STRFerrari4Ever said on 13th March 2010, 12:37

Woooohooo great stuff! Vettel & RBR on pole, lets hope they have the race pace to hold off those Ferrari’s tommorow.
    McLaren were the real surprise for me I expected them to be much closer than that, they seem to lack that one lap pace.
    We’ll have to wait & see how it turns out in the race tommorow, who knows they could just blow everyone away.

• vettelfan said on 13th March 2010, 13:58

I agree with everything you’ve put. So happy that Vettel is on pole as that was pretty unexpected for me. But I think of a race distance the Red Bull’s won’t be as quick, leaving them vulnerable to Ferrari. If Vettel can keep close to them though (if he falls back) then hopefully he will be quicker towards the end of the race, on less fuel, and overtake them.

• SO happy with Vettel’s pole what a great lap. I tip Ferrari for the race as I don’t think Seb will be able to make his tyres last on a longer run.

Also great drive from Chandhok driver of the day I think!

4. rampante said on 13th March 2010, 12:39

Interesting quali and very strange to see Mclaren nearly 1 sec off the pace. Tomorrow we get to see who manages the tyres better.

• steph90 said on 13th March 2010, 12:42

“On another note my 15 year old daughter just came home from school and wanted to know why prince charming from Shrek was on TV( Nico Rosberg)” Lol! Hilarious but also very sweet :)
      As for Mclaren, I was very surprised also. Lewis said it was sector two they lost the most time and need to find more downforce and then the usual f1 driver ‘but it’s a good start, the team are working hard’ pr talk

5. Madman said on 13th March 2010, 12:39

hi all
    i m sure that sutil has an advantage with the harder compound tiers…..

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 13:27

Completely agree. Think FI were smart to put Sutil on the medium compound. On full fuel I expect to see top nine having to look to pit in 7-12 laps. Unless they are going to take 3 seconds a lap out of Sutil, he’s sitting in the box seats.

6. steph90 said on 13th March 2010, 12:39

I didn’t expect Mclaren to struggle so much but good luck to them and Schumi.
    Congrats to RBR and Vettel. Good speed and stunning lap there.
    Ferrari have started well so I’m incredibly happy. I already got emotional with Massa and well done to Fernando for a good qualifying too!
    Don’t want to get ahead of myself so I’ll see how it goes.
    Rubens one to watch tomorrow I would say and Schumi because he’s Schumi P:

• I bet you’re pretty pleased about Massa, he definitely lived up to the billing, can’t wait for the race.

• steph said on 13th March 2010, 13:19

Definately. I think I expected too much of him at first and had to keep reminding myself that he had just returned :P But it was quite emotional and I love the human side of F1.
        Also, incredibly happy anyway with Ferrari no matter what order they were but it was the icing on the cake :P

• Oh hey, a fellow Ferrari lover. We seem to be in quite a minority here :D

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 13th March 2012, 15:01

Who’d have thought after this qualifying and his race he would go on to be so uncompetitive? It’s sad, really, as it shows he’s still got the speed, but somehow he can’t be fast enough.

7. George said on 13th March 2010, 12:40

Felipe let me down :(. Out of interest, how far off 107% were HRT (I’m assuming virgin and Lotus were inside)?

I certainly dont agree with EJ that Vettel will win the race, their reliability problems (especially brakes) could still come back, and even if they didn’t I dont think the Red Bull has the pace of the Ferrari.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 13th March 2010, 12:50

107% was 2:03.05 … so Senna was just out by two tenths, and Chandhok was nearly two seconds out.

However, I think it would be unfair to introduce the 107% rule, because the new teams will all get progressively better. They’ll all be within 107% soon enough.

• George said on 13th March 2010, 12:56

Yeah two tenths is nothing really, glad to hear

• Introducing the 107% rule for this year would require all the teams to agree, which obviously isn’t going to happen until the new teams are well within 107% of the leaders’ pace – by which point it will be moot anyway. It could be pushed through for 2011 but I would imagine everyone will be sufficiently up to speed by then anyway.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 13th March 2010, 13:11

They need 70% of the teams to vote for it. That means the nine teams left over from last year need to agree.

On a similar note, Ferrari want it on “safety grounds” – but we all know they want the 107% rule because if any car falls short, they’ll take it as proof that they were right about the new teams.

• All the teams would have to agree to introduce it this season PM, the 70% amount is if it’s introduced for next season.

• Insert_Name said on 13th March 2010, 13:02

I worked out the 107% to be 2′2.088

1’54.101 = 114.101
        114.101 x 1.07 = 122.088 – 2’2.088

This would still only place the two HRTs out but by quite a bit.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 13th March 2010, 13:04

Actually, the 107% would be taken off Alonso’s fastest time in Q1 because neither Hispania was in Q3 when Vettel set that time.

• Calum said on 13th March 2010, 13:10

To be fair that was Chandook’s first go in the Hispania.

• Mike said on 13th March 2010, 13:32

I am really impressed by them, as I understand it, they only fired it up after they got to the track,

I think 107% should not be introduced…. maybe if Ferrari had not blocked almost everything designed to assist them, bagged them at every opportunity and thoroughly made things difficult, I might listen to them.

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 17:45

Bottom line is no one expected Lotus, HRT or Virgin to do a ‘Braun’. They are start-ups, they aren’t going to win races for years (ref the hugely bankrolled Toyota). They have already been handed a poisoned chalice with the FiA scrapping the budget cap after they signed, so not just playing catch-up, but cough-up as well.

Even at Monaco, back markers do get overtaken, and since most of the field will be lapping them, it’s not going to hurt any one team more than any other.

Re-introduction of the 107% rule would be pointless and harmful to these guys who are trying to breath some new life into our sport. By Monaco they will all be inside 107% anyway, but the threat caused by re-introduction of the rule would undermine the credibility of the new teams and damage their sponsorship options, thus chance of remaining in the sport. Why stop at 107%? Perhaps 103% next so if you can’t race a car 5km within a second of another – you’re out! Daft isn’t it?

I don’t want Formula Ferrari or Formula Red Bull etc. This is a team sport. New teams are good – applaud them.

Karun was driver of the day today for me. Climbed a mountain to get as close as he did.

• macahan said on 13th March 2010, 18:07

Consider Qualification was his first time driving the car. I have mixed feelings here. One that say he shouldn’t be allowed onto the grid. For safety reasons and experience reasons. After all a regular F1 driver can’t be replaced with a reserve driver unless the reserve driver drove in Practice seasons if I don’t recall wrong. Which was why Toyota only fielded one car last year in one race. Reserve driver wasn’t allowed to drive the Qual because he hadn’t turned a lap in the practice. So Karun have done 7 laps in a F1 car and ready to go racing. Hey I done 28 laps in a Nascar car on a oval track. That makes me triple qualified to race next Nascar race.

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 19:03

New season so no one ‘qualified’ to drive a car or not – the clock started today. HRT have an option to do that with a registered driver, so they did.

Karun did a great job to get with 1.5secs of Bruno in first outing. Equally, Bruno showed quality in getting a brand new car with practically zero test data within 2 seconds of their natural rivals. HRT have shown quality and professionalism in their efforts today.

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 19:06

Why do some entries not include a ‘reply’ option. Odd and makes follow-ups fractured… Keith, sorry, know you’re a busy man, but something seems broken?

• George said on 13th March 2010, 19:09

Are you implying you couldn’t race in NASCAR with that experience if you brought enough money?

• Guelph35 said on 13th March 2010, 19:53

macahan, you recalled wrong- Timo Glock got injured in his crash during Qualifying, which is why Kobayashi (sp?) couldn’t run in the race – he hadn’t participated in any of the pre-race sessions.

This is probably the exact reason Force India is planning to run their 3rd driver in one of the Friday Practice sessions each week – so they have 3 eligible drivers for their 2 cars on race day, just in case. In their position of fighting for king of the midfield, they can’t afford the chance of only having one car in a race.

8. sumedh said on 13th March 2010, 12:40

The first few laps should dictate the rest of the race tomorrow. Expect pit-stops within the first 7-8 laps. Exciting stuff, bring it on!!

9. sato113 said on 13th March 2010, 12:40

where was the positions list during qualifying?! (usually on the left hand side) i couldn’t follow quali at all, i had to wait til the end of each session to find out anything.

• Nick Someone said on 13th March 2010, 12:53

Yep. I agree with you. The graphics are poor this season with the weird diagonal times which mean they are hard to read and compare quickly. I didn’t think the director concentrated on the crucial things. He/she missed quite a lot of important laps in Q3.

Maybe they assume these days that everyone has their laptop with them and are looking at the FIA timing. If you have a laptop, or a computer near a TV it is definitely the way to go. unfortunately I don’t. :-)

…Anyway good qualifying session and a lot of interesting stuff to watch tomorrow. I hope Mclaren can get on the pace so it’s a 4 team battle. I fear the Ferraris will walk it tomorrow based on their long run tyre performance.

• DanThorn said on 13th March 2010, 13:03

I don’t mind the new graphics too much but I definately miss the live feed at the side.

• sato113 said on 13th March 2010, 13:09

we all need to email FOM for an answer. anyone got an email address? i’ve already tried emailing the livetiming guys at f1.com…

• steph said on 13th March 2010, 13:22

yeah there was a few us moaning in the live blog. I apologise for that as I didn’t ever shut up about it. I definately msis the times ladder. It’s like Hungary 09 when they all vanished; it was such an anti climax. I had to use live timing but most fans won’t do that.
          Tomorrow will the positions still be shown throughout the race along the bottom or not?

• Ads21 said on 13th March 2010, 13:42

Did anyone else have problems with the live timing, we were trying to log on but couldn’t get it to work. Would be a disaster if we can’t get it to work for the race.

• steph said on 13th March 2010, 17:35

Ads a few people had to register again for live timing

• Mike said on 14th March 2010, 5:05

Except that Hungary was exciting, as usual it is exciting when things go wrong (rain etc)….

\This is just a cock up.

• Calum said on 13th March 2010, 13:13

I thought they looked quite slick, but when you fall asleep after P3 then wake up halfway through Q2 you don’t know who’s safe and who isn’t because there is no list coming down from the top left of the screen showing positions like there was last year. I like seeing who is first and who is last! I don’t want a box coming up showing who is in the knockout zone because I don’t know who has been knocked out and who is in the top 10!!!

• KallanSnSD said on 13th March 2010, 13:23

I was disappointed by the lack of a ladder as well. I like the idea of new graphics but in qualifying it is essential to feel on top of what’s happening, especially if the director is missing the action. Live timing isn’t the same, you can’t be immediately aware of a change in the order unless your constantly diverting to another screen, which takes the enjoyment out of it for me. Also allot of broadcasts are delayed rendering it useless.

• SeminoleAJ said on 13th March 2010, 14:12

I was surprised to find out that SpeedTV on the west side of the pond is delayed approx. 10 minutes. We were approaching 6 minutes left in Q2 as Q3 started on T&S. At that point I paused it and went for a proper southern breakfast…biscuits and gravy. No sense being hungry AND out of the loop…

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 14:37

Never having come across biscuits and gravy I just did a Google image search out of interest. Big mistake. AJ – please tell me it tastes better than it looks.

Anyway – has Windsor shown up on Speed TV again yet, or is he still in hiding?

• Dr. Gonzo said on 13th March 2010, 14:54

For what it’s worth, Bob Varsha (Speed F1 Host) said yesterday that he had spoken to Windsor and that Windsor had stated that the FIA is asking USF1 to keep mum on the subject for now and that Speed would respect that.

• Dr. Gonzo said on 13th March 2010, 14:56

And Biscuits and Gravy are wonderful!

• SeminoleAJ said on 13th March 2010, 15:35

They’ve said that Windsor will be back later in the year. I’ll be happy to have him back because Gilette (not pronounced the same as Liverpool’s adopted son George…) sounded a little shaky on the mic yesterday and today. I’ll reserve my final judgment for a couple weeks, but I think his grid-walk won’t be as fun as it was with Peter. BTW, they were nice fluffy biscuits with white sausage gravy with some pepper in it.

• Dr. Gonzo said on 13th March 2010, 16:02

mmmm Yummy! But Windsor will not be back, he is being replaced by Will Buxton (ex GP Week). Gilette is only standing in for the first few races while the Buxtons have a baby.

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 17:05

Okay – my better half is German/Texan mix. She advises me the biscuit is like a light soft roll, not biscuit as in cookie (UK definition). A peppered sausage white sauce doesn’t sound so bad either. Just threw me a curve ball is all guys – still not pretty looking though ;)

Guessing FiA is asking for silence on the situation while they try and figure out whether to fine USF1 or let them re-apply for 2011. A wrong word could swing it badly for Windsor and Anderson.

As a US follower of the series, what’s your view/feeling on the USF1 no-show? Do they deserve a second chance, or should FiA be cap in hand back to tempting Pro-Drive, Stefan, Lola et al back into the formula?

• Dr. Gonzo said on 13th March 2010, 17:17

I think they should be allowed to reapply and go through the whole vetting process again along with anyone else but if they wind up being sanctioned for not competing this year then that seems unlikely.

• SeminoleAJ said on 13th March 2010, 21:45

I think the USF1 crew screwed the pooch. Until there is a USGP there won’t be a team. I work as a press officer for a college athletic department over here, I would have given anything to get a chance to work for them though…

As far as number of teams, my view is that FIA is being a little too “all powerful” by limiting the entries. Bring in the 107% rule and don’t reject entries. Let them build cars and if it gets too big, allow the 30 fastest drivers for each race.

• Mike said on 14th March 2010, 5:23

The biscuits confuse and worry me, and I hope that common sense is being applied along with your application of gravy.

As a side note, as SeminoleAJ said:
            “As far as number of teams, my view is that FIA is being a little too “all powerful” by limiting the entries.”
            I agree, but will sponsors support the slower teams? probably not,
            That being said, I do agree, I just don’t know if it would work.
            I assume you were suggesting pre-qual?

• rvjgd said on 14th March 2010, 8:20

Biscuits and Gravy are delicious. Well worth it. If I could find a way to get decent sausage gravy mix here in England my life would be much easier.

• David BR said on 13th March 2010, 17:29

Too right sato, without knowing immediately who’s where during qualifying it really does become a bunch of cars driving round a car park in the desert (maybe the Globo TV coverage in Brazil was particularly bad today too). Appalling coverage. In Q3 there seemed to be just 4 cars racing until the final list popped up. F1 needs to get its act sorted here, millions invested, but one clueless director in the TV control room can turn the whole thing into a complete snore fest.

• sato113 said on 13th March 2010, 18:13

do you reckon it was the tv director’s fault here? who actually makes the decision to remove the positions ladder?! it’s a joke…

10. RandomChimp said on 13th March 2010, 12:42

That was kinda classy from Massa to beat Alonso by that margin. I’m going to guess that Vettel and Webber will go backwards due to heavy tire graining and the winner will be in a Ferrari. Hoping Barrichello gets ahead of Schumy at some point tomorrow.

• Salty said on 13th March 2010, 15:00

The Ferrari did look easily the most comfortable over the bumps today. Will be interesting to see if the same is true under full fuel conditions. Agree Vettel won’t be able to maintain tyres driving like he did today.

Glad Victoria Park isn’t as bumpy as Sakir. Might see McLaren back in contention there.

• Nick Someone said on 14th March 2010, 2:48

So your thinking is that it is just the bumps that are screwing Mclaren? That is possible I suppose. We will have to wait a few races to see if that’s the reason they are behind or if its just a fundamental lack of downforce.

• Salty said on 14th March 2010, 10:09

Indeed – McLaren were losing the time in the middle sector, which is where the bump fest is in the new section. Going to fast through there will just toss the car off the track.

Ferrari looked much smoother, thus able to carry more speed through that section. I don’t think Vettel will be able to hold back the Ferraris, they will be all over his tail as he hits the back straight, if he manages to hold them off the start.

11. Victor said on 13th March 2010, 12:43

Could anyone please explain to me why everyone (save Massa) was quicker in Q2 than in Q3 (Sutil for obvious reasons). I would have thought that the more into the session the more grip there is.

Kubica for instance was almost a second slower in Q3 than in Q2… (1:55.885 and 1:54.963 respectively).

• RandomChimp said on 13th March 2010, 12:45

Perhaps because no worries about tires in Q2? I was wondering the same.

• Ben Curly said on 13th March 2010, 12:47

Teams are saving tyres for the race and the cars have different setup in Q2 and in Q3. They aren’t allowed to change the car setup before the race, so Q3 are tweaked for long distance run. That’s why Q3 is slower.

• sumedh said on 13th March 2010, 12:59

oh ok, car setup. Missed that.

• Dr. Gonzo said on 13th March 2010, 13:13

The cars are in Parc Ferme from the beginning of the qualifying practice session until the start of the race.

“34.1 Each car will be deemed to be in parc fermé from the time at which it leaves the pit lane for the first time during qualifying practice until the start of the race.”

No changes are allowed to the aerodynamic or suspension setup except for adjusting the existing front wing settings without replacing any parts.

• then it could be cause they did not want to destroy the tires in Q3 as they need to be using it for the race, and q2 tires were disposable… .

• Weasel Chops said on 13th March 2010, 12:47

Switching over to a more race-oriented set-up I’d guess.
      In Q2 there’s no need to compromise and you can set-up for pure qualifying.

• sumedh said on 13th March 2010, 12:50

Indeed. Only Massa and Webber improved on their Q2 times.

I guess one has to pin it down on changeable weather conditions or on driver errors.

But pretty strange to see that, no doubt. I doubt this will be trend for all the races.

12. bwells said on 13th March 2010, 12:44

Ferrari are looking very good…
    Good on Vettel to find some speed but Ferrari have the pace and consistency.. look at there long runs in testing… great quali for sure!! :)

13. Nikos said on 13th March 2010, 12:44

Does anybody know which team are going to wear hard compound tomorrow?

• Madman said on 13th March 2010, 12:45

force india sutil

• among top 10 Sutil will be on hard compound.

and i think the times for q3 were slower than q2 cause most of cars would have changed the setup of the car to suit the race day… as the set up & the tires can’t be changed expect small change on front wing…

running on softer tire won’t be a big problem in my opinion… but we see tomorrow how it plays out.

• George said on 13th March 2010, 12:59

I dont know about the other teams, Rosberg said in an interview that the soft is better for the first stint.

• but the problem is if you going soft, you are committing to a two stopper… and if you are on hard ones you could prolly take only one stop… and finish the race…

14. Herbie said on 13th March 2010, 12:45

All credit to vettel for a great performance, although i suspect ferrari will beat him on race pace. though what i find inconceivable is how maclaren have yet agan failed to produce a car that is on the pace from the start. with all the money and reources they have you would have thought they would of learned from the previous year and put all there effort into developing a car with a good aerodynamic balnce. despite this lewis managed to turn the cars bad performance around with his brilliance.

• A.K. said on 13th March 2010, 13:57

The decision to keep developing a dog car last year may come back to haunt them. Ferrari did a Honda and has come out with a Brawn…if you know what I mean?

So our dreams of a tight four squad fight at the front are now shattered. Clearly, Ferrari and Red Bull are fastest on raw pace then thére’s a quite a gap to the Mercs and Macs that simply won’t be fully bridged on race pace.

• Daffid said on 13th March 2010, 14:56

At this circuit… I expect we’ll see even more variance between circuits this year with heavy cars. I doubt this pattern will be repeated exactly over the few races. I suspect the merc engined teams will shine at the real power circuits for example

• A.K. said on 13th March 2010, 15:32

Possibly, but it is quite reasonable to think that the other ‘big two’ are playing catch up now.

• Herbie said on 13th March 2010, 17:46

Yes they are, i just hope mclaren dont do a repeat of last year and develop this car to far leaving no room to make next years car competitive.. its stupid really, last year they assured us that this years car would be up to speed, im getting de ja vu

15. Franton said on 13th March 2010, 12:46

Ooops, there goes my F1 Fanatic prediction entry …

1 2 3 5