Rate the race: Bahrain

The 2010 F1 season is up and running. What did you think of the first round? Rate the race out of ten and have your say below:

Rate the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• 1 - Terrible (8%)
  • 2 - Rubbish (4%)
  • 3 - Boring (24%)
  • 4 - Uninteresting (10%)
  • 5 - A bit dull (22%)
  • 6 - Not bad (14%)
  • 7 - Good (10%)
  • 8 - Great (4%)
  • 9 - Fantastic (1%)
  • 10 - Perfect (3%)

Total Voters: 6,086

Loading ... Loading ...

183 comments on Rate the race: Bahrain

1. Mike said on 14th March 2010, 14:40

My complete thoughts on the race:

The race overall? a bit dull, there was some excitement, but chance put an end to it,

Reliability… well only 16 finished, but it worries me that the top 4 teams all finished, I hope that they also have reliability concerns so that some lower teams can get up in the places.

The tyres lasted a lot longer than most of us would have expected, congrats bridgestone, unfortunately this isn’t actually good for us viewers, I would have preferred driver make a choice between stopping multiple times and struggling on a 1 stopper. If the tyres life span was halved it would be much better and create more excitement. Remember that Bahrain is hard on the tyres and also the weather was very hot, I now think that Melbourne will not see any tyre wear at all.

Tyre wear is in an awkward position, It is not enough to entice gambles, but it is too much for drivers to risk pushing on.

Ferrari will be smug from this and I suspect we will see people pointing out what they said criticising the new teams and saying how this vindicates that.
    But, Was it only me who thought the fight between the Virgin of Glock and the Lotus’ was the most exciting on track? They were really fighting. I find it ironic that I am most interested in the battles of the slowest cars on the grid.

Drivers:
    I’m a Schumacher fan so I’ll start here, He did well, He was very close to Rosberg’s pace, He was consistent, and He was calm, A well made return. Button didn’t do so well, but I don’t think his race or even weekend went well, that being said, he must bounce back soon or he will become the number 2. Massa was on par with Alonso or close to, so that can only be considered a Success, as for Alonso, the Ferrari is the fastest, and He only did what he should have, anything else would have been a failure, Sutil was unlucky, Hulkenburg was unlucky, Rubens did quite well, Lotus finishing was as worthy of 25 points as Alonso’s win, Rosberg has just put joined the group of Elite top drivers, and secured his place as an equal to Schumacher, well done. Kubica, did a very very fine job.

The track, Is a boring Tilkedrome and the only pass I can remember seeing on the new section was Kovi getting out the way of the leaders.

Australia, my home, Will surely host a better race.

Also, I note the power of Bernie as my dad informed me that the Islamic religion and Alcohol doesn’t get on. and that he also thinks the spraying of Alcohol is silly, I informed him it was traditional…. but yes I suppose it is a bit…. sometimes he ruins the fun in things ^^ haha.

And I’m done, thanks!

• curedcat said on 14th March 2010, 14:50

The bottle at the podium today was non-alcoholic , just some fizzy drink :o

• BasCB said on 14th March 2010, 14:51

I heard something like rose water with bubbles in it. At least is doesn’t stick!

• Mike said on 14th March 2010, 16:42

Wait, bas are you serious?

• BasCB said on 14th March 2010, 18:12

Well it is not only rosewater, but fruit drink mixed with rosewater. Suppose that must be a real treat, huh.
            I just found some detail – quote: “Out of respect for the culture and traditions of the Kingdom of Bahrain and the Arabic world, the first three drivers in the Grand Prix will mark their success with Warrd, a unique blend of locally grown fruit – pomegranate and trinj – mixed with rosewater.”

from the official F1 site (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2004/3/1366.html)

2. curedcat said on 14th March 2010, 14:45

lets hope australia is better :D , at least no embarrassing bumps

3. BasCB said on 14th March 2010, 14:50

Alonso gave the impression, he would have liked to try and get Vettel earlier, but Vettel was just too fast on the soft tyres.
    So there might be some battles with Vettel being super on softer tyres and Ferrari good on the harder ones.

Shame we didn’t see more of the action with Button chasing Schumacher while keeping off Webber.

4. Mouse_Nightshirt said on 14th March 2010, 14:53

First race in a long time that I haven’t particularly enjoyed. It was pretty much procession from start to finish.

I had thought that banning refuelling was going to be rubbish when the rule was announced. I hope I’m proved wrong because otherwise it’s one of those “I told you so” moments that feels rubbish because everyone suffers.

It was made out to be a great change by many, but it’s not like the old days when tyres would fall apart.

Big thumbs up to Lotus!

5. Ben Curly said on 14th March 2010, 14:57

A bit dull procession of cars, with no real fight between drivers. Before the race Vettel said that he wanted a boring race… so here you go Seb, wish granted.

Thanks to current regulations drivers are forced to be careful, to save their tyres, to save their engines. Seriously, why not encourage the drivers to race?

FIA, just listen the fans for once:

Remove the rule forcing top drivers from Q3 to use the same tyres in the race. It’s bad, stupid rule. It’s supposed to introduce some strategy, but it doesn’t. Why? Everyone wants to be as fast as possible in Q3. So here is the choice:

A) We can use harder compound and possibly lose good starting position, but have an opportunity to overtake early in the race.

B) But hey, we can use softer compound and have better starting position to begin with!

Why it’s bad? Everyone will be using softer tyre in Q3, with very rare exceptions. Everyone in top 10 will be afraid to overtake with heavy car on soft wheels. It’s bad for the sport.

Unlock engines, give the drivers more power to control. While you are at it, let them use more engines during the season. If it’s 19 races make it 10-12 engines. Let them drive using 100% of their skill, and still force them to struggle with the power a bit.

Introduce weaker brakes, which will lengthen braking zones and encourage overtaking.

Is it so damn difficult?

6. I voted 5, a bit dull.

The action at the back of the field held occasional interest, but at the front it was ‘follow the leader’. Overall, it seemed too much like an exercise in tyre preservation, fuel conservation, and engine protection to be a truly interesting race.

Let’s hope that Melbourne shows some improvement. Perhaps the lower temperatures and more overtaking opportunities will bring more excitement. It was all a bit too processional this time.

7. Rohan said on 14th March 2010, 15:08

The Bahrain circuit itself was not to blame – the new section added something that was desperately needed in changes in gradient and yet people on here still complain (which must be down to some form of prejudice, but that’s another matter).

The thing that ruined the race was the ban on refuelling – drivers had to look after their cars throughout the whole race rather than being able to push at any time. Furthermore, the tyre degradation that was supposed to occur towards the end of the race didn’t, and remember that this is one of the warmest, most tyre degrading tracks on the calendar this year.

Hopefully refuelling will be re-introduced bext year, but I worry for the rest of the season.

• Ben Curly said on 14th March 2010, 15:25

The new section added length to the circuit. That’s it. No new overtaking opportunities.

With the new layout turn 4 is faster, so it’s actually one overtaking opportunity less compared to the last year.

Last year we had three ideal spots for overtaking: turn 1, turn 4 and turn 14 (penultimate corner, this year’s number 23). We had 57 laps, so it was 171 chances in the whole race. Not great, but not so bad either.

This year real overtaking corners were number 1 and 23, and we had only 49 laps. Yeah, sure, the Bahrain circuit was not to blame…

8. 6/10

I think some people expect to much out of the new rules, and how it will affect the racing.

It was great to see Alonso win again.

9. BasCB said on 14th March 2010, 15:19

Schumacher sums up his return “overtaking is basically impossible”.

I do thing the new section is partly to blame as well.

Just compare the GP2 Asia races this weekend and a couple of weeks ago on the old circuit configuration. Instead of a great race it was more or less processional.

10. Cube said on 14th March 2010, 15:20

I round it very entertaining. I loved every minute of it. Despite my team, Williams only scoring one point.

11. OnATacco said on 14th March 2010, 15:22

I voted boring, because it was. I’ve been watching F1 now for nigh on 35 years, and if I have to rely upon the back markers fighting over P17 & P18 to give me excitement in the race, then as far as I’m concerned it’s a poor show. Certainly glad I didn’t pay big money to go see this, and I’m certainly not interested in going this year now either.

As I watched the cars following one another up the long straight, it reminded me of the lorries on the motorway overtaking, speed-restricted, but still trying to make that .001mph difference count, but it takes sooooo long, and you just get frustrated.

Bang the cars out there on 1 tyre per race (save for punctures). MotoGP can do it. Stop the silly restrictions and regulations, and let the teams actually RACE. I want to see the drivers eeking the b’jeezus out of their car each race. So what if they blow up the engine, at least they were racing! I don’t want them penalised for racing by having to save engines.

Bahrain today wasn’t a race, it was a farce of silly rules, drivers who really should be fighting it out, jostling for track position, and overtaking one another in a duel of ace driver against another. If it carries on for many more races like today, I’m going to have to rely upon Rossi & Stoner to give me my racing thrills, and I’ll be at the MotoGP this year, but not the F1 – that speaks volumes!

12. Dennis said on 14th March 2010, 15:25

I voted 6/10. It was not bad IMO. Alonso’s move on Massa was good, Kubica and H├╝lkenberg did some nice moves. It was close between Webber and Button although no real action there. I didn’t expect the complete BMW Sauber team go out, HRT was a joke (expected) and Virgin didn’t do a well enough job to fix their problems. Shame for Petrov btw, he did pretty well.

As for the drivers: Alonso did very well. He drove a perfect race. He seemed calm untill about lap 32, when he started pushing and probably heated the engine a bit but it was enough to make Vettel ask too much of his RBR, superb drive from the master. Massa did well, he held on to Alonso’s pace for a long time which isn’t for everyone. Hamilton drove a solid race, no real mistakes but nothing special either. Vettel was very strong, especially the first 2 laps of the race, shame his engine died but still managed to get to 4th place, superb effort on his behalf. Rosberg beat Schumey but he should have passed Vettel IMHO. Schumacher was calm and solid. Webber and Button were off the pace. Especially Webber was struggling a great deal with his car today. Kubica stood out, pretty good driving and the renault looks better than last year, then it was a terrible car, good for place 16 or lower but because of Alonso it got to top 10 a lot. Now, with Kubica and Petrov it looks like a top 12 car or something. Kubica was impressive!

• MacLeod said on 15th March 2010, 11:55

Kubica was on the Soft while the rest was on hard that is why he looked impressive in the race.

13. F1Yankee said on 14th March 2010, 15:26

BORING!!! screw this track!

14. David Hope said on 14th March 2010, 15:29

Formula One has been around since 1950 and during most of it’s history there was no in-race refueling or tire changes. You started the race with a set amount of fuel on-board and 1 set of tires and you went the distance.
    Refueling and tire changes have for the most part been the idea of the FIA to make it more exciting, a “show” for television. They have basically tried to NASCARize Formula One with this as well as tying the hands of the designers/engineers by making the cars more and more “spec-like” just like NASCAR and IndyCar.
    For some of you out there who are more “recent” F1 fans that me be what you want; but for those of us like myself who grew up in the 60’s and 70’s and who remember Clark,Stewart, Brabham, Hill,Rindt,Fittipaldi,Lauda, Andretti,etc. we long for the “golden days” of pure F1 racing that I described at the outset. F1 was always about “pure sport” as opposed to “show” racing like NASCAR.
    So, the FIA took one good step in banning refueling but they should have gone further and made them run the race on one set of tires and then maybe institute some sort of budget cap for all the teams but allow the designers technical freedom like in the past. Also, get rid of this nonsense of starting the race on the same tires you qualified with; that’s crap and they should come down from their pedestals and admit it!
    I am hoping that Jean Todt will be more thoughtful and reasonable as FIA president than Mosley was. Maybe Todt will have the humility to admit things need to change, only time will tell.
    I forgot to mention the mid 80’s and early 90’s when you had the likes of Senna,Mansell,Prost, Piquet,Berger battling it out season after season with some great racing with no refueling and no tire stops. The cars did’nt look like “clones” of each other, the tracks wer’nt “mickey mouse” like so many today; they just went racing in real cars on real tracks and it was awesome! We need to get F1 back to that at least!

15. bob80 said on 14th March 2010, 15:30

8/10 I said this yesterday and it proved today. New rules remove overtaking from races because position are determined during qualifying and all teams are on very similar strategies in race. THE WORST IS that Bahrain could be actually one of more interesting races in this season because teams are still learning about car behaviour during whole race. Now, or after one more race teams will know optimal setup for new regulation and Sundays will become very boring. We can expect new regulation in 2011 to make F1 more attractive (which is becoming ridiculous).