Rate the race: Bahrain

The 2010 F1 season is up and running. What did you think of the first round? Rate the race out of ten and have your say below:

Rate the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• 1 - Terrible (8%)
  • 2 - Rubbish (4%)
  • 3 - Boring (24%)
  • 4 - Uninteresting (10%)
  • 5 - A bit dull (22%)
  • 6 - Not bad (14%)
  • 7 - Good (10%)
  • 8 - Great (4%)
  • 9 - Fantastic (1%)
  • 10 - Perfect (3%)

Total Voters: 6,086

Loading ... Loading ...

183 comments on Rate the race: Bahrain

1. Icthyes said on 15th March 2010, 0:01

Why are people being so negative? It seems to me that people’s expectations are way too high and want every single race to be super-exciting. A good race doesn’t have to he action-packed. Today’s was an interesting race and whilst not a classic by any means, I found it more entertaining than half of last year’s races..

We had a race today where victory was never going to come from following strategy religiously, where a 5-second lead before the first stop was never going o be a big safety margin, where if Vettel hadn’t suffered problems we would have seen Alonso, with the Ferrari using the harder tyres much better than the Red Bull, close up on genuine pace and produce a good battle for the lead, something near-absent last season. A race, above else, which would have been far more boring if two mandatory stops or last year’s rules applied.

What is it those saying it was a boring race want? I know what it is, and let me say, they’re not things that can be forced into existence by the rules short of making F1a spec series. I voted a 7, and in my view the race deserved no more and certainly no less. It’s not F1’s fault if you’re not interested in races that have the potential to develop in an exciting way but rather demand everyone be artificially forced to be close together, ironically what people were supposedly against in the off-season when discussing the tyre rules. You can’t have it both ways, freedom in all areas and close racing. Sometimes they will work against each other, and only sometimes come together to make a great race, which is what makes great races what they are. It seems people want an F1 as close as lower series whilst making it less “artificial” or constrained than lesser series. Bad news: there’s a correlation between the two.

To be honest, if you were bored by today’s race then you deserved to be. If you want the things F1 doesn’t have, watch the series they do, just don’t expect them to have the things in F1 you like. F1 can and hopefully will improve, but it won’t do so through rules governing the race format and it certainly won’t sacrifice the things that made it the pinnacle of motor racng to do so.

For myself, I hoe Bridgestone move the tyre compounds back to being side-by-side. Having them one stage apart helped liven things up last year, but this year it looks like being a counter-productive policy.

• Icthyes said on 15th March 2010, 0:07

Or better yet, as a poster said above, make the softs fast and fragile and the hards durable but very slow. The medium we have now doesn’t look like it’s going to be a happy one.

• Mouse_Nightshirt said on 15th March 2010, 3:14

Disagree wholeheartedly.

Although it’s not F1’s job to “entertain” per se (although some would argue it is), and it’s more our job to find enjoyment in it, jigging the rules to try and get more “show” is a good intentioned idea, even if flawed in results.

Remember back to the 80s and early 90s when cars diced with each other with much more regularity. Yes you had domination by one team at times, but at least there was enough else going on. That is the kind of racing that a lot of F1 fans want. You say you can’t have freedom in technology and close racing together. We had the complete opposite today. Severely limited technical freedom and a mostly processional race as well! Sure, the Lotuses diced with the Virgins a bit, but other than that, so little actually happened.

Times change. With ever increasing technology, especially in the aero department, lack of regulation leads to pure procession. The old cars had enough design and aero “flaws” to mean that close racing was possible – now, that’s simply not the case. Artificiality is always to be expected in any sport, because why have rules at all otherwise?

I at least expected to see something as exciting as that last couple of seasons. I’m sorry, but in my opinion that race was dull and I’ve seen enough races (13 years of virtually every single race) to determine that for myself. I shouldn’t “deserve” to be bored simply because I found the race today dull. We don’t need swashbuckling overtaking moves all the time, but the only striking feature today was “when is everyone going to pit?” and now we know from that how the rest of the season will pan out!

And absent battles for the lead last year? Where were you!?

2. Marco said on 15th March 2010, 1:26

Ye like many have said already this track was pretty dull. The layout is ****, there’s no nice scenery and there is a massive lack of atmosphere. I kinda felt sorry for Alonso on his victory lap that he had no one to wave to apart from the marshalls

3. Jono said on 15th March 2010, 2:06

Boring boring boring – Kimi must be laughing his socks off!

Where has all the innovation and characters gone from F1? I want to see the Colin Chapman Lotus for this century!

Give the designers the freedom to turn up and race with whatever they choose.

How about a ground effect, turbo charged 6 wheeled Mclaren Vs a big winged fat wheeled supercharged V12 Ferrari & a Lotus with active suspension and a race weight of 300kg! Pit as many times for tyres as you like, refuel or don’t – let the teams decide!

I want to be entertained on a Sunday – I want Wacky Races, not this endless processsion of advertising clones driven by yes men!

4. Guelph35 said on 15th March 2010, 2:58

If Vettel’s engine holds up and we get a classic showdown between him and Alonso over the final 10 laps, we’re having a much different discussion here.

That being said, I still think we’re going to have more parades than races this year, as unless there’s a bigger discrepancy in performance between the tire compounds, there will be one strategy used by every single car, which makes rather uninteresting racing.

5. BigT said on 15th March 2010, 4:11

For those who remember F1 pre-fuelling, this is deja vu. Logically if you remove on variable such as fuel, you level the performance of the cars so that, as someone else has said, qualifying is the race. If we want to be green, halve race distance and fuel, use one set of tyres and you would have had the same result. What a travesty. I fell asleep watching after waiting for this race for months.

6. ivz said on 15th March 2010, 6:25

Most boring race I have ever watched! I am driving 8 hours to Melbourne to watch one of the most boring F1 seasons possible? Wish I never bought tickets!

7. Rotundandproud said on 15th March 2010, 7:00

Whilst I agree that this race was a bit dull, I think this is due to the extension of the circuit length and the drivers adapting to the new regulations, not the actual regulations themselves. I think the most exciting spectacles this year will be the shorter circuits where back markers will play a huge part – just imagine Monaco with all those cars at such vastly different performance levels – should be amazing and will throw some odd results in I think. This should still be a classic season, even if the first race was a tad disappointing.

8. Olly said on 15th March 2010, 8:59

Very boring race. But my youngest son (11) and I have a cunning plan. All drivers and pit crew are to drink half a bottle of vodka before the race. The top three finishers, if there are any, to be breathalised in park ferme. If not over the limit they are disqualified.
    Can you imagine the excitement during the race.
    But seriously this was the most boring procession I have ever watched, You could just have well been watching a merry go round. In F1 you have the best drivers and the most innovative teams in the world held back by regulations which make no sense. The formula should be a vehicle size limit and an engine size limit then let the teams run with it. This is a sport where the cream comes to the top, but only if you don’t shake the bottle.

9. PJA said on 15th March 2010, 9:29

I thought it was a bit dull, but it is too early to say it is all the fault of the refuelling ban as there have been other races in recent years like this.

10. KMal said on 15th March 2010, 9:47

5/10 i really thought this was a boring race. Problems from the green light. Usually drivers gun it once the lights go out for the first corner in the hope to jump a car or two and we usually see 1/2/3 cars hitting because of this. Generates a bit of excitment. With 6 more cars on the track this season we didnt even see a front nose being damaged. Drivers were FAR to cautious because they didnt want to hurt their tires and because they didnt get enough dry testing in the winter period to fully know how the car would react with a FULL fuel load on board.

As for the new teams… I have nothing but respect for the 3 teams, that in this climate managed to raise the money to enter the sport. However, i feel that they way in which their enter was handled by the FIA was a joke. I mean 4/6 cars didnt even make half the race distance. They are supposed to add another factor to the race, to mix it up with the other cars and cause exctiment and suprise. Instead what we see are 3 teams so far off the pace that they would just about hold their own in GP2.

F1 this year for me is still a 10 team sport, because we are not going to see anything from the 3 new teams.

But i have to say, fair play to Alonso, he has taken to Ferrari like a duck to water and also good job for Cosworth, i thought pre season that their engines would be way off the pace but Williams seem to have made them work. My fingers are crossed for Australia but if i am honest, i am not sure where this sport is going…

11. Handybaggy said on 15th March 2010, 10:50

I enjoyed the race, and was really happy for Hamilton getting on the podium, aswell as being gutted for Vettel.
    As for the “no refueling” i guess it’s a lot safer for the pit guy’s but i did miss the excitement of the fueling pit stops…. when Hamilton and Schumacher pitted at the same time yesterday we all knew Lewis would get out before Michael, but if the fueling was still allowed, things might of been a bit different.

12. Seyr said on 15th March 2010, 18:55

I think it’s too early to blame the issue of this “uninspiring” race on the no refueling regulation. I see four other problems of bigger concern.
    1) As previously mentioned, the difference in performance and wear between the prime and option rubber at this race was much too small. The harder tire performs too well and the softer tire wears too slowly.
    2) Improved double diffusers down the whole field makes passing basically impossible without a significant pace advantage, like what the podium finishers had over Vettel. Without that advantage, I don’t believe for a moment Alonso’s Ferrari could break out of Vettel’s turbulence in the closing stages.
    3) Because passing is effectively impossible, teams opt to save fuel, tires, engines, brakes, gearboxes by cruising behind their competitors which is what most of the front runners were doing throughout the race distance. This obviously makes for a procession.
    4) Bahrain is an awful featureless Tilkadrome, probably the least inspiring of this season’s venues.

Solutions should include:
    -Harder hard tires, softer soft tires (primarily)
    -Ban double diffusers before 2011 (not likely)
    -Look at 8-engine/grid drop for replacement rules
    -No Bahrain race for 2011.

13. 6/10 from me. And 5 of those points were from seeing Nando on the top step of the podium (less 3 for being in a red suit) and the rest were because it was the drought-breaker race I have been waiting, hanging out for 4 months for. Actual racing scored 0/10.

I don’t agree that the lack of action was because of the re-fueling ban. But I think that it possibly didn’t help matters, as in the past the only overtaking we saw was in the pits. Now there is none (or as close to). Ban the aero, ban the front wings and build cars that can follow closely in the dirty air. Then, and not before, will we see some racing. But in the meantime, bring on Melbourne…

14. I voted Rubbish. There nothing more to say.

15. I’m sorry to say that this was the MOST boring race I have seen in the 50 some odd years I have been watching, the new longer track just meant it took longer for the cars to come back round to the straight to parade past the stands. the new rules have effectively handcuffed the teams, they have made it so safe and correct that it is no longer worth watching