Make your Australian Grand Prix predictions now to win F1 prizes

Can Fernando Alonso make it two wins in a row?

Can Fernando Alonso make it two wins in a row?

It’s time to make your Australian Grand Prix predictions if you want to be in with a chance of winning one of our great prizes.

The overall winner of our Predictions Championship will win British Grand Prix tickets and two winners will win F1 DVDs and an F1 painting this weekend.

You’ve got to make your prediction before the next practice session starts so enter now!

I’ve had a few people asking when the competition was opened for this race. The competition opening was announced in the daily round-up a few days ago. To make sure you don’t miss it you can subscribe to F1 Fanatic by Twitter, RSS or email.

Need some inspiration for your predictions? Read our practice coverage and analysis here:

The prizes

This year we’re giving away a pair of prizes every race weekend.

On top of that at the end of the year the top 12 finishers all get prizes – and whoever scores the highest overall will be going to the 2011 British Grand Prix. Here are the prizes in full:

Grand prize: Two grandstands tickets to the 2011 British Grand Prix

The person who scores the most points in the 2010 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship will win grandstand tickets to the 2011 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

This is the first time we’ve offered F1 race tickets as a prize at F1 Fanatic and I hope you all agree it’s a fitting reward for the F1 expert who can best predict who will be on top in 2010.

The grand prize winner will receive tickets to all three days of the 2011 British Grand Prix with reserved grandstand seating for the race.

Second place prize: An F1 painting of your choice

The second place finisher in the championship will win an F1 painting by Rob Ijbema.

You get to choose which F1 driver, present or past, will feature in the painting. Or you can pick one of the other motor racing paintings on Rob’s site Car-a-day.

autocourse2009_104

Runners-up prizes: Autocourse 2010-2011

The ten players who finish in third to 12th positions in the championship will win a copy of the 2010-2011 edition of Autocourse.

The highly respected journal of Formula 1 and other major international four-wheeled racing series is published at the end of every season.

This year the publication marks its 60th anniversary edition.

NB. 2009 edition cover used for illustration

Race winners prize: The Lotus Story DVD Box Set

Duke Video are supplying the prize for the player who gets the highest score in each round.

With the Lotus name returning to F1 in 2010 what better prize than a DVD box set showing the history of this great team. This four-disc set “The Lotus Story” chronicles Lotus’s participation in F1 from the company’s beginning in 1948 up to its F1 withdrawal in 1994.

Duke are also offering a special promotion exclusive to all F1 Fanatic readers – whenever you order from them you can get 15% off using the promotional code F1Fanatic at the checkout.

Race runners-up prize: F1 race winner print

The second place finisher in each race will win a 40x35cm print of the race winner from Motorsport in Print.

How to enter

Entries will open in the week before every race. You have until the start of free practice three on Saturday to make your predictions.

You can post your predictions for the first race now below. After making your prediction you should see a notice saying ‘your entry has been saved’.

Each player may predict the pole sitter and the top five finishers in the race. See below for the rules in full.

Please try to pick an original and distinctive user name – something a bit more descriptive than just a first name. We had a lot of very similar entries last year!

Entry for F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship 2010
No races available in this championship.
Race:
Pole
Position 1
Position 2
Position 3
Position 4
Position 5
Name:
Email:

Competition terms and conditions

1. Maximum one entry per household.
2. The competition is not open to employees, friends or family of F1 Fanatic, Silverstone Circuit, Duke Video, Motorsport in Print, Car-a-Day or Icon Publishing Ltd.
3. Predictions will open up to one week before the start of final practice on the Saturday of a Grand Prix weekend and will be promoted on the front page of F1 Fanatic before closing prior to the start of final practice.
4. In each round players are invited to predict (a) who will be on pole position and (b) what the top five finishers will be (five different drivers).
5. Players accumulate points in each round as follows:
a. Correctly naming the pole sitter: 2 points
b. Correctly naming one/two/three/four/five driver/s who finish in the top five: 1/2/3/5/8 points
c. Correctly predicting where one/two/three/four/five driver/s finish: 2/6/14/24/40 points
6. Whoever scores the most points over the 19 races from round one (Bahrain) to 19 (Abu Dhabi) wins the grand prize.
7. In the event of a tie on points the winner will be determined by who picked the most race winners correctly, then second places finishers and so on. If that fails to produce a winner the editor will choose a means of deciding who has won.
8. Predictions must be entered using the form or e-mailled to competition@f1fanatic.co.uk
9. Once a prediction has been made it cannot be altered.
10. In the event of a dispute the editor?s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. No cash alternative is offered for any of the prizes.
12. Grand Prix tickets: Children must be accompanied by an adult. Accommodation and transport to the venue not included. Event date TBC.
13. Players who have won prizes will be notified by email within seven days of each Grand Prix. Lotus DVDs and F1 paintings will be despatched within 28 days of that email being sent. Grand Prix tickets will be despatched once they are available. Autocourse books will be despatched once they are published.

Don’t miss a single round of the F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship. Subscribe to F1 Fanatic using RSS, email or Twitter: Click here for more information.

2010 Australian Grand Prix

52 comments on Make your Australian Grand Prix predictions now to win F1 prizes

1. Wesley said on 26th March 2010, 21:54

Red Bull “one,two”……anyone?I’m going for Webbo on a home poll position.I expect Alonso or Seb to ruin his party though.

2. Magnificent Geoffrey said on 26th March 2010, 22:04

First time I’ve given this a crack… Don’t know why I haven’t before, though!

Honestly have no idea about who really has pace this weekend based on two very disrupted sessions – but I have to have faith in the Red Bull after Seb’s showing in Bahrain. Now McLaren appear to have some more raw pace this weekend, not to mention Mercedes as well. And, of course, you just know Ferrari will be right up there…
    AHH! It’s all too hard for me to figure out!

3. F1Yankee said on 26th March 2010, 22:13

keith,
    care to publish your predictions? or is that not ok? have i asked that before?

4. Five Red Lights said on 26th March 2010, 23:41

3 hours 20 mins until practice 3 & I can’t enter?

5. Dennis said on 27th March 2010, 0:31

I think Vettel will take poll and Webber will be close. Vettel won’t win, the Ferrari’s race pace is too consistent. I think Alonso will win it, Vettel second, third will be Webber because of his fast car and the home advantage, 4th will be Hamilton, he’s close but not close enough and 5th will be Massa, who will experience some problems during the race and he will loe his cool.

• Alex Bkk said on 27th March 2010, 1:57

“third will be Webber because of his fast car and the home advantage”

His career best in his home GP is 5th I think. I just don’t think that racing in Oz is to his advantage. I might be guessing but I’m thinking that the pressure and expectations of being at home might be to his disadvantage.

6. US Williams Fan said on 27th March 2010, 0:48

Does anyone else think that Kubica has a pretty good shot at pole position?

Perhaps it sounds far fetched but I think the Renault cars are starting to “come round”.

7. Keith,

The “software didnt work for me. Here my predictions:

Webber
    webber
    Vettel
    Alonso
    Hamilton
    Massa

Becken

8. Oh i am so lazy I missed out on this predictions.

9. Obed said on 27th March 2010, 5:39

Im not able allways to make my predictions at what time should i do iT?

10. John H said on 27th March 2010, 7:36

I’m seeing Bahrain predictions here… anyone else or is it just my cache or something??

11. Keith I’m so sorry you feel my comment has to be eliminated,
    I think you have been strict; at the end, my stats were made after so many people had posted their predictionsa, and you know most of the people made his predictions bases on who is your preferred driver not based on who driver has more opportunities.

Anyway, i’m so sorry you had put my comment on awaiting moderation, was not my intention Keith, never I thought I was putting your site in a compromise.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th March 2010, 16:23

IDR – Sorry to do that but the predictions were still open and in the interests of having a fair competition those who predict later shouldn’t have the benefit of knowing how others have voted.

12. Patrickl said on 27th March 2010, 20:35

I counted the predictions and got some statistics:

Pole Perc Number
    VET 34% 425
    HAM 32% 395
    ALO 11% 141
    WEB 10% 127
    MAS 7% 87

Most people predicted Vettel on pole. Hamilton just got it all wrong.

P1 Perc Number
    HAM 31% 379
    VET 29% 359
    ALO 20% 247
    WEB 8% 104
    MAS 7% 81

I guess we can bin the predictions for P1 too with Hamilton starting from P11. Although you never know with a safetycar things could change. Or maybe lightning will strike and Hamilton will actually overtake a lot of cars :)

Instead of doing all positions seperately I gave the predictions F1 style scores and added all those up. For instance a prediction with HAM to finish on P1 and ALO on P2 would give HAM 25 points and ALO 18 points.

The resulting top 5 scores from 1241 predictions are:
    Driver Score
    HAM 19678
    ALO 19641
    VET 18874
    MAS 12612
    WEB 10206

13. Hoshiyar said on 29th March 2010, 22:23

i got two right in vettel pole and massa third..thats pretty good enough..

14. anthony said on 29th March 2010, 23:57