Fairuz Fauzy will make his first appearance in an official F1 practice session at Sepang this weekend.
The Malaysian driver will take over Heikki Kovalainen’s car in the first practice session for the Malaysian Grand Prix tomorrow. Fauzy, the Malaysian-owned team’s third driver, will hand the car back to Kovalainen for second practice.
Race drivers Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli tossed a coin over which driver would have to relinquish their car to the 27-year-old.
Force India were the first team to put a non-race driver in their car this year, giving Paul di Resta a run in practice for the Australian Grand Prix last week. The British driver will take over Vitantonio Liuzzi’s car in practice tomorrow.
Fauzy’s appearance will be the first time a Malaysian driver has driven in front of his home crowd since Alex Yoong raced for Minardi in 2002 as team mate to Mark Webber.
Fauzy drove the T127 at its Silverstone shakedown and in testing at Jerez in February.
Read more: Fairuz Fauzy biography
2010 Malaysian Grand Prix
- 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic review
- Malaysian GP team mate comparisons
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: McLaren
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Mercedes
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Red Bull
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Ferrari
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Williams
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Renault
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Force India
- Malaysian GP team-by-team: Toro Rosso