The Todt Vote IV (Poll)

Jean Todt accompanied by F1 drivers and former champions in Bahrain

Jean Todt accompanied by F1 drivers and former champions in Bahrain

Once a month we take a look at how FIA president Jean Todt is managing Formula 1 and ask whether the sport is going in the right direction on his watch.

Join in the debate and cast your vote below.

FIA developments since the last approval rating

The 13th team

US F1 failed to get their team ready in time for the start of the season and the FIA has announced it will consider taking action against them over the no-show.

Stefan GP’s pleas to be granted US F1′s place on the grid this year fell on deaf ears. Instead the FIA has opened applications for a 13th team to join next year. It will also appoint another team as a reserve entry, in case one of the current teams pulls out.

But could more have been done to ensure a 13-team grid this year?

Commission appointments

Several major commission appointments were announced including Michael Schumacher joining the Circuits’ Commission as the drivers’ representative.

Alan Donnelly has joined the Manufacturers’ Commission. But Todt has yet to fill the post of F1 Commissioner, a post he promised to create after his election.

World Motor Sports Council changes

In a significant move the FIA President no longer plays a role in World Motor Sports Council decisions. This has been a major bone of contention in recent years particularly during the spying row in 2007 and Singapore Grand Prix investigation last year.

The FIA president is still responsible for running the WMSC’s inquiries and deciding what cases should go before the WMSC.

Stewarding changes

Todt’s changes to F1 stewarding have been put into practice with several high-profile former and current drivers joining the stewards during Grand Prix weekends. So far these have included Alain Prost in Bahrain, Tom Kristensen in Australia, and Johnny Herbert at this weekend’s round in Malaysia.

They have not had any major controversies to rule on yet, with the most significant decision taken so far being Mark Webber’s reprimand for crashing into Lewis Hamilton during the Australian Grand Prix.

“Boring”

F1 faced a backlash after a dull season-opener at Bahrain. This came after Todt had specifically asked the teams to propose measures to “improve the show” this year, which led to the introduction of the rule forcing drivers who qualifying in the top ten to start the race on their qualifying tyres, and the tweaking of the new points system.

The FIA has not announced any further changes for the future other than the banning of double diffusers in 2011.

Calendar expansion

There could be as many as 20 races on the F1 calendar this year as the FIA has confirmed the Indian Grand Prix will be held in 2011.

Jean Todt’s Approval Rating

As an F1 fan, do you approve or disapprove of the way Jean Todt is handling his job as FIA President?

• Approve (63%)
  • Disapprove (14%)
  • No opinion (23%)

Total Voters: 880

Loading ... Loading ...

Jean Todt?s Approval Rating so far

Date Approve Disapprove No opinion
March 2010 53% 24% 23%
February 2010 57% 14% 29%
January 2010 55% 16% 29%

Jean Todt’s Approval Rating

Image (C) Bridgestone

49 comments on The Todt Vote IV (Poll)

1 2 3
  1. I dont see anything bad for him

2. Ronman said on 1st April 2010, 8:22

I like the way he runs things, and i think if anyone can be objective in this task (having worked for one of the teams) it is him…

he’s a guy that knows how to select good people around him so that they complement his management expertise…

3. Franton said on 1st April 2010, 8:26

Too early to tell yet. We (unfortunately) need a couple of big incidents to see what he’s made of.

4. W-K said on 1st April 2010, 8:46

Keith,
    A few sentences don’t make sense:

Stefan GP’s please to be granted US F1’s place…
    The pleas of Stefan GP to be granted US F1’s place…

They have had any major controversies to rule….
    They have not had any major controversies to rule….

Back to subject. I cannot say I have seen enough to vote one way or the other yet.

5. GeeMac said on 1st April 2010, 9:31

I still approve. The way the Stefan GP issue was handled impressed me, and the decision to have former drivers act as stewards at Grands Prix will lead to greater consitency when decisions have to be made. The adition of the Indian Grand Prix is a plus in my book too.

I’ve approved two months in a row, wow, what is happening to me! ;)

6. PJA said on 1st April 2010, 9:31

I don’t think I disapprove of anything mentioned in the article, although I think the appointments of Michael Schumacher and Alan Donnelly may loose him some votes this month.

I didn’t like the way he and his girlfriend were in the photo of all the former champions at Bahrain but that isn’t enough to mark him down.

• NomadIndian said on 1st April 2010, 12:53

Same here PJA. It was not cool to have his GF present at what was specifically a moment for the past and present champs!

7. PeterG said on 1st April 2010, 9:31

Where can we apply for the job of F1 Commissioner?
    I think I have all the right qualities to be of great value to the sport.
    So I will probably vote Approve just to be on the safe sight for future reference. Todt is watching us.

8. Mike said on 1st April 2010, 9:40

I like him, at least compared to Mosley, he seems impartial, and it does look as though he takes time to make decisions, I think Max could be too gung ho sometimes.

He hasn’t done anything drastically wrong, I mean, I hate the qually tyre rule, But that’s not necessarily wrong, It’s just that I don’t agree.

On the other hand he saw through things like having ex-racers as stewards. This isn’t because I agree with it, although I do, but because there was a problem, (suspect stewarding decisions) and he actually did something to fix it. Not only that, but he did something to increase fairness, something Mosley wasn’t (isn’t) known for, and also it was something that could potentially engage the fans by having someone they can see and (imagine they) relate to, rather than white cloaked scientist kind of guys, which is rather how it felt at some particular moments.

9. the Sri Lankan said on 1st April 2010, 9:48

i dont like the way that the stefan GP situation was handled

• Mike said on 1st April 2010, 10:38

My heart agrees with you, but he followed the rules when the decision was made, no fuss, no controversy, He did the right thing.

• GeeMac said on 1st April 2010, 11:19

That’s my view too. I was all for Stefan GP getting onto the grid, but there was no justification for them getting the place.

10. sumedh said on 1st April 2010, 10:01

I was impressed by 2 issues

The Stefan GP issue and stewarding issue.

Stewarding was one area which needed a lot of changes. And Australia was a fine example.

I vote APPROVE

11. irishlad (@irishlad) said on 1st April 2010, 10:19

i have approved jean, he has been good especially in his work to expand the calendar and also the use of former race drivers in F1 races.

12. andy.price said on 1st April 2010, 10:59

Its really too early to say but looks like he is trying. Puzzzled about why his girlfriend is in all of those group pictures!!

13. Its a marked contrast to the Mosely era (particularly in recent years). Despite the backlash against Formula 1 being branded ‘boring’, nothing has been heard from Todt, the FIA, or even Bernie for that matter. And I think thats a good thing. I think the previous era would probably have overreacted to the situation, have tried to make wholesale changes to the sport and in the process would probably have put the new teams (specifically HRT) out of business.

So far all the moves he has made have been considered and appropiate. I hope it stays that way.

• Patrickl said on 1st April 2010, 12:56

Ecclestone has been in the news a lot really: He claimed Hamilton shouldn’t get a manager, that we need a GP “in” New York (which should be driven in New Yersey 30 miles away), he blames USF1 for StefanGP not being on the grid, the new teams are too poor, a GP in Rome 2013

In an effort to fix the overtaking problems he again propsed his “shortcut” idea, but suggests we wait a few races before we evaluate (which in fact is the only thing he said that actually made sense).

14. GQsm said on 1st April 2010, 11:07

After Mosley, Todt’s an angel so far.
    It’s refreshing not to have Max’s limelight meddling this season. Can you imagine all the blabbering (and probably crap rules) Mosley would have done/introduced so far regarding USF1, Stefan, Campos, HRT, Slow teams, McLaren F-Duct, enlarged Engine starter holes, poor race at Bahrain etc it would have been one BS statement after another from Mosley.

15. Magnificent Geoffrey said on 1st April 2010, 11:18

I really WANT to disapprove of Todt – him being the former Team Principle of Ferrari and all – but I have no reason to complain about anything he’s done or said at the moment. The Q3 rule is the only thing I’d say I don’t agree with, but then I’m not sure that Jean is even fully responsible for that rule being implemented in the first place.

That being said though, I still think it’s a little too early to really gauge Todt’s performance as Max’s successor objectively – maybe later on in the year, perhaps.

• Tralfamadore said on 1st April 2010, 22:05

I am also quite suspicious of Todt, in his Ferrari days he used to hold a massive grudge against Alonso, and in fact he is quoted as having said (in June 2007) that Alonso’s chances to be hired by Ferrari were 0% as long as he was calling the shots there. However I have no complaints against him so far.

I am not quite sure about the reason why. Maybe it is that when Alonso was still in Minardi he was offered a test pilot position in Ferrari by Todt but he chose to race with Renault instead. Probably the bad blood between Todt and Briatore didn’t help, or the fact that Alonso soundly beat the Ferraris in the 2005 season. If anybody knows anything else about this I would love to know.

• Agreed – I have been pleasantly surprised so far by Todt, and have seen no evidence of Ferrari bias so far – or anything that implies he is not impartial. So he got another approve this time around.

1 2 3