The Todt Vote IV (Poll)

Jean Todt accompanied by F1 drivers and former champions in Bahrain

Jean Todt accompanied by F1 drivers and former champions in Bahrain

Once a month we take a look at how FIA president Jean Todt is managing Formula 1 and ask whether the sport is going in the right direction on his watch.

Join in the debate and cast your vote below.

FIA developments since the last approval rating

The 13th team

US F1 failed to get their team ready in time for the start of the season and the FIA has announced it will consider taking action against them over the no-show.

Stefan GP’s pleas to be granted US F1′s place on the grid this year fell on deaf ears. Instead the FIA has opened applications for a 13th team to join next year. It will also appoint another team as a reserve entry, in case one of the current teams pulls out.

But could more have been done to ensure a 13-team grid this year?

Commission appointments

Several major commission appointments were announced including Michael Schumacher joining the Circuits’ Commission as the drivers’ representative.

Alan Donnelly has joined the Manufacturers’ Commission. But Todt has yet to fill the post of F1 Commissioner, a post he promised to create after his election.

World Motor Sports Council changes

In a significant move the FIA President no longer plays a role in World Motor Sports Council decisions. This has been a major bone of contention in recent years particularly during the spying row in 2007 and Singapore Grand Prix investigation last year.

The FIA president is still responsible for running the WMSC’s inquiries and deciding what cases should go before the WMSC.

Stewarding changes

Todt’s changes to F1 stewarding have been put into practice with several high-profile former and current drivers joining the stewards during Grand Prix weekends. So far these have included Alain Prost in Bahrain, Tom Kristensen in Australia, and Johnny Herbert at this weekend’s round in Malaysia.

They have not had any major controversies to rule on yet, with the most significant decision taken so far being Mark Webber’s reprimand for crashing into Lewis Hamilton during the Australian Grand Prix.

“Boring”

F1 faced a backlash after a dull season-opener at Bahrain. This came after Todt had specifically asked the teams to propose measures to “improve the show” this year, which led to the introduction of the rule forcing drivers who qualifying in the top ten to start the race on their qualifying tyres, and the tweaking of the new points system.

The FIA has not announced any further changes for the future other than the banning of double diffusers in 2011.

Calendar expansion

There could be as many as 20 races on the F1 calendar this year as the FIA has confirmed the Indian Grand Prix will be held in 2011.

Jean Todt’s Approval Rating

As an F1 fan, do you approve or disapprove of the way Jean Todt is handling his job as FIA President?

• Approve (63%)
  • Disapprove (14%)
  • No opinion (23%)

Total Voters: 880

Loading ... Loading ...

Jean Todt?s Approval Rating so far

Date Approve Disapprove No opinion
March 2010 53% 24% 23%
February 2010 57% 14% 29%
January 2010 55% 16% 29%

Jean Todt’s Approval Rating

Image (C) Bridgestone

49 comments on The Todt Vote IV (Poll)

1. Did you mean ‘banning double diffusers for 2011′ rather than 2010? :)

2. Patrickl said on 1st April 2010, 11:44

I think the best thing is that we can’t really see his influence. It’s not like Mosley who HAD to put his fingerprint on everything.

He lets the stewards do their thing, doesn’t interfere when teams behave like hooligans on their website. Just let things sort themselves out.

3. Salty said on 1st April 2010, 12:09

I approve – FiA just kicked sidepod mounted mirrors into touch as of China – bravo! They have listened to conerns from media and drivers alike, noted the Australian GP (Alonso anyone?) and taken decisive and sensible action. Mirrors are a necessary safety device, not an aero opportunity.

4. Jack said on 1st April 2010, 13:18

I like the way Todt handled Stefan GP. Yes they could have completed this season but there was no evidence that they would be able to build a car for 2011 and beyond.

I would rather wait a year and have a 13th team that wil be genuinely competitive, such as Lola, Prodrive or Epsilon. I also get the feeling that under Todt we are more likely to have the decision made for the right reasons rather than political reasons.

5. djdaveyp said on 1st April 2010, 13:43

I like the fact he doesn’[t have an opinion on everything. He seems to be letting the sport run itself and only intervening as necessary. Very sensible decisoon with the 13th team as well, as much as we all would have liked to have seen stefan gp.

6. sato113 said on 1st April 2010, 13:45

‘banning of double diffusers in 2010.’
    2011 of course!

I didn’t even know what todt has done so far, which is a good thing i suppose.

7. Last month I voted ”no opinion” but this month I change it to ”approve” because of how Stefan situation was handled and because I think former drivers as stewards are great idea.

8. steph said on 1st April 2010, 14:10

Voted approve.
    I approve of every category on there bar the “boring” one as I’m not sold on the quali tyre rule.

9. Andrew White said on 1st April 2010, 14:33

I voted approve this time.

I think USF1′s situation was not Todt’s fault (Mosley let them in) and not letting Stefan in, while annoying at the time, was probably the right decision.

He also rode the media storm after Bahrain and did not introduce any mickey-mouse, knee-jerk rules, which I think Mosley may have done.

The WMSC and stewarding changes are also an improvement. No steward intervention in any of the racing incidents at Australia was refreshing. A reprimand for Webber was the right decision IMO.

• dsob said on 2nd April 2010, 14:31

It said my comment was too short. So much for brevity being the soul of wit.

Now, on to the original comment>>>>>>>>

Totally agree.

10. Scribe said on 1st April 2010, 15:41

I Voted no opinion this time, simply because while I think he’s been good at nearly everything the quali tyre rule, something it wouldn’t cost a thing or hurt anyone to get rid of, which ruins strategy an racing in the dry is still there.

Get shot of it, an i’ll start approving again.

11. Icthyes said on 1st April 2010, 15:55

Generally approve.

I like how he’s distanced himself from the WMSC (though not enough for my liking) and put drivers in with the stewards. But I don’t think the new “improve the show” gimmicks have worked, and the leftover two-compound rule is counter-productive in its current form, and doesn’t go far enough, if we’re going to have it at all. I also don’t like the new points system, though it is rewarding a win well.

• Icthyes said on 1st April 2010, 15:59

Oh, and on the DDDs: I don’t approve of them going. Contrary to opinion (including my own a while back), they don’t make things worse for following a car. I think they’re just being banned to reduce cornering speeds, something the FIA has always been obsessed about, and in the name of cost-cutting. If we had DDDs and not much else then that would be better!

12. BasCB said on 1st April 2010, 20:50

This time around, i voted for approve. The changes made in governance (drivers join stewarding and WMSC procedure) are great steps towards fair trial and logical and predictable judgement.

I am glad not to have heard any comments, nor knee jerk actions from him after Bahrain.
    The FIA are the rule makers, let the promotor and the participants have ideas to improve the racing and the show for the viewers, then the FIA can decide based on having even competition, safety and with an eye on cost and efficiency.

The girlfriend between the world champions was a bad idea.

13. manatcna said on 1st April 2010, 22:21

Yeah, agree with others about Todt keeping a low profile.
    Also he hasn’t made any decisions that I dislike – Yet.

14. Akiko said on 1st April 2010, 22:22

I am not approving until the supremely stupid tyre change rules are withdrawn

15. F1 Novice said on 1st April 2010, 23:51

Seems to be doing sensible things so far and not on some kind of power trip.