Which races should Ecclestone cut? (Poll)

Which venues should F1 keep going to?

Which venues should F1 keep going to?

Bernie Ecclestone has said F1 can “afford to lose” certain rounds to make way for races in New York and Russia – two venues he’s been trying to get on the F1 calendar for decades. He told Autocar:

We?re going to lose some races for sure, there are some races we can afford to lose without too much problem. I?ve spoken to the countries to see what we can come up with.
Bernie Ecclestone

I suspect fans may differ with him on which F1 races should get the chop – so let’s put it to a vote…

South Korea joins the championship as a 19th round this year and India could make a largest-ever calendar with 20 races in 2011. Rome is also in the queue and Ecclestone has been talking about races in New York and Russia once again, though there’s nothing new about that.

Which rounds would you drop from the world championship? Pick as many as you like from the poll below and have your say in the comments.

Which races would you drop from the F1 calendar?

• Bahrain Grand Prix, Sakhir (65%)
  • Australian Grand Prix, Melbourne (1%)
  • Malaysian Grand Prix, Sepang (7%)
  • Chinese Grand Prix, Shanghai (21%)
  • Spanish Grand Prix, Catalunya (16%)
  • Monaco Grand Prix, Monte-Carlo (3%)
  • Turkish Grand Prix, Istanbul (30%)
  • Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal (1%)
  • European Grand Prix, Valencia (60%)
  • British Grand Prix, Silverstone (2%)
  • German Grand Prix, Hockenheimring / N???rburgring (3%)
  • Hungarian Grand Prix, Hungaroring (27%)
  • Belgian Grand Prix, Spa-Francorchamps (1%)
  • Italian Grand Prix, Monza (1%)
  • Singapore Grand Prix, Singapore (19%)
  • Japanese Grand Prix, Suzuka (2%)
  • Korean Grand Prix, Jeonnam (13%)
  • Brazilian Grand Prix, Interlagos (1%)
  • Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Yas Island (29%)

Total Voters: 5,202

Loading ... Loading ...

410 comments on Which races should Ecclestone cut? (Poll)

1. Rob R. said on 9th April 2010, 9:36

I guess I’m the only one here with a soft spot for the Hungaroring!

• Gwenouille said on 9th April 2010, 10:11

No, I like it very much too…
      Don’t know why, but it has always been one of my favourite tracks. I loved to race it on F1 97 on my playstation.
      I think it needs some changes though, sooooo hard to overtake there.

• Cyclops said on 9th April 2010, 10:45

Same here, I have strange sentiment for Hungaroring although I know the race there is one of the must unimpressive. Probably because this is the closest race to my place, beside the German races. Also Kubica had his debut there.

• Tom L. said on 9th April 2010, 14:32

I loved Hungaroring on F1 97 too, the CPU cars would always have a pile-up at ths start of lap 2 and there’d usually be Damon Hill and Pedro Diniz in the points/podium for Arrows!

• Chapmondo said on 9th April 2010, 15:30

F1 97 is so good for stuff like that. Berger always battles with Schumacher for the win at Hockenhiem and Panis always does well at Monaco. Along with Hill at Hungary

• The only reason it should be on the calendar is because it’s fun in games, it’s barely ever a fun race to watch though.

• It’s a very good track in my opinion too. I really like how it’s like a karting track…corner after corner, so you have to get a thight exit if you want to drive fast through the next one. F1 seems to lack circuits with many such corners.

• Icthyes said on 9th April 2010, 14:58

I like it too! I’m glad they improved Turn 1, but they need to get rid of the chicane and turn the final complex of corners into one slightly banked curve, which would show up the improvement in Turn 1 even more.

• daykind said on 19th July 2010, 17:20

No, I really enjoy the Hungaroring – cracking race last year and always throws up surprises. Evidence;
      2006 – Button’s first ever win from 14th on the grid
      2007 – Hamilton and Alonso in the pit lane during qualifying, Alonso takes pole but is stripped of it.
      2008 – Flawless drive from Massa but pulls up with three laps left and Heikki Kovalainen wins his first race
      2009 – Hamilton wins after Alonso on pole but his wheel comes off on lap 3.

2. Xanathos said on 9th April 2010, 9:37

Give the Korean track a chance!
    I voted for Valencia and Barcelona, the spanish GP should be on an actual race track, not on a glorified test circuit.
    Besides that, I voted for Turkey, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Hungaroring and Shanghai.

Monaco and Singapore should stay, they have an unique atmosphere.

3. I nominate Bahrain, Hungary, Turkey, Spain

4. Dave said on 9th April 2010, 9:43

Err, why is Bahrain top? It is actually an alright race track if you remove the hideous loop.

- Valencia, no explanation needed
    - Shanghai, circuit is OK but clearly China has little interest in F1

I’m willing to give Abu Dhabi another chance. Undecided on Singapore.

5. Lachie said on 9th April 2010, 9:45

Bahrain, China, Turkey, Valencia and Abu Dhabi but after what everyone said about the organisers of Bahrain genuinely wanting to put on a good race and the slim possiblity of using the Outer circuit, i’d be willing to let it slide :)

Definitely lose the ones that don’t use their grandstands to actually seat fans.

6. Untitled258 said on 9th April 2010, 9:46

Ergh, i pressed the wrong button, im so stupid, well, ive just woke up so i guess sleepy.

I meant to press Shanghi and Valencia, but ended up pressing Shanghi and Susuka, i love susuka :(

7. David B said on 9th April 2010, 9:47

Picked most of the new Tilkodromes…I don’t feel any attraction by Cinese, Singapore or Abu Dhabi GP. Then cut off Valencia, which only produced processional races so far. I feel Korean track could be a good venue.
    I would like France (Paul Ricard) and US (Watkins Glen) back.

8. to quite honestly say, the China track is maybe my favourite Tilke-track. it has multiple optimal lines to follow, very wide track, and i’ve always enjoyed watching it, even in dry conditions.
    but i have to say, i’m shocked that Silverstone and Spa received votes O.o

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th April 2010, 9:52

That’s interesting, I’m really not impressed by the Shanghai circuit. We’ve never had an even halfway good race there in the dry. Remember the dreadful 2008 race? Fortunately it seems to rain quite a bit over there.

• wasiF1 said on 9th April 2010, 10:49

China is only good when it rains, so why can we have it as a permanent wet race?

• Completely agree with Keith about China, its a bad track with no atmosphere. But on the other hand it has strangely gained some character due to two of those wet races in 2006 and 2007. I guess if you put in a wet race at the climax to a title fight even a dull track can be exciting.

• 2008 is a very good example, you’re right. however, it still would be the last Tilke-track i would remove from the calendar.
        about wet races :) i used to come up with the Paul Ricard track, where a watering system allows the teams to simulate wet conditions. how about an artificial wet race? :)

9. David B said on 9th April 2010, 9:51

Yes, I would keep Bahrein only if they choose the out ring!

10. Prisoner Monkeys said on 9th April 2010, 9:51

Don’t write Singapore off just yet – the organisers are apparently exploring changes to the circuit for 2011 (they won’t have time to get them approved for 2010). These would include extending the back straight by two hundred metres to go around the War Memorial instead of down the inside of it (cutting out two ninety-degree bends in the process) and removing the chicanes across the waterfront and under the grandstand (which was only ever a novelty).

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th April 2010, 9:53

Yeah I’d give Singapore a stay of execution for pretty much the same reason. It’s certainly too long. Street tracks should be about dodging through traffic and between barriers, not about a lap so long you never catch any slower cars.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 9th April 2010, 9:57

Actually, I think Singapore has a certain charm to it right now – it’s murder on brakes. How many cars did we see with disintegrating brake pads last year? Webber bombed out, the Toro Rossos were retired before it could metastisise into a terminal problem, and even the Brawns struggled with it. Singapore is a race that requires drivers to look after their cars more than any other, which I imagine would be difficult with its labyrinthe streets. That said, it should be changed, but I think it’s under-rated. It’s had one dramatic and one processional race; hardly enough to judge it.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th April 2010, 10:48

It’s got potential. But I don’t like the way the boundary of the track is often a kerb a few metres away from the wall, rather than the wall itself.

Ditto Valencia, only much more so…

• I like the spectacle of Singapore and being the first night race, it’s got a certain unique charm.

I think the event should stay, but they should consider improving the layout as the only corner that stands out for me is the bumpy one before the big flyover (think it’s halfway round the track).

• roberttty (@roberttty) said on 9th April 2010, 13:39

funny though … the official reason for that is to “enhance overtaking”

that’s the reason why Webber was penalized for his pass on Alonso in 2009!

• Icthyes said on 9th April 2010, 15:03

If that happened I would be glad to keep Singapore. I always thought having all three right-angled corners was pointless, and the new one around the War Memorial could become a decent overtaking spot, whereas removing the useless chicanes at the end of the lap will speed things up and possibly allow cars to follow closer for a stab into Turn 1.

• I didn’t vote for the chop for Singapore, but it was a close run thing. Last years race was pretty dull, and lets face it, if it wasn’t for Nelson ‘Piroutte’ Piquet, 2008 would have been as well. But I’m prepared to give it another chance if they improve the layout. Plus the cars just look awesome under lights & I love the spectacle of the sparks from the cockpit.

I voted against Valencia (I’d rather go to the Dentist than watch that race ever again), Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, China & Korea. My finger also hovered over Catalunya, the only saving grace it has was that I think there should be at least one race in Spain. Having already axed Valencia, I couldn’t in all conscience cut Catalunya as well. But it is a supremely dull circuit, and if Spain had any other alternatives, then I would have no hesitation in giving it the flick.

Bahrain I just hate for its dull races, and total lack of crowds and atmosphere. Abu Dhabi showcases the hotel rather than the race, and makes it look like the cars are racing around it’s carpark. Plus, the hotel is really rather vulgar.

I don’t know why I voted for Shanghai – there have been some great races there, but the empty grandstands and EXPO signage have just turned me off it. And I voted against Korea on general principle, a metaphorical thumbing my nose at Bernie and his odious habit of selling F1 to the highest bidders.

11. Eddie Irvine said on 9th April 2010, 9:52

F1 needs to be going in exotic places all over the world. A circuit in North Africa, Hawai, Argentina and Siberea( RUssian GP) should be a well addition to the calendar. F1 cannot afford to many shepang-style circuits, they are all the same. I voted for Turkish, CHienese, Singapore Abu Dhabi and Valencia

12. Bebilou said on 9th April 2010, 9:53

The Abu Dhabi track is an insult to F1 drivers. We should get rid of it as soon as possible. Spending so much money to have such a result is disquieting.

Barcelona has become a very boring track because of the ugly last chicane: moreover, races always suck here.

13. One of only six (untill now) to vote for silverstone :P

My other choices were Bahrain, Valencia and Abu Dhabi. Was a little hesitant on Abu Dhabi I must admit.

14. Daffid said on 9th April 2010, 9:57

Surprised so many picked Turkey, surely the best Tilke…with a rather nice turn.

Bahrain, Catalunya and Valencia – pointless

Hungaring – pointless except when it rains

Abu Dhabi – probably pointless, though I’ll wait and see on the latter, got to give it a couple of races to tweak itself, might improve

Singapore… I’ll give it a year or two more, it’s not soooo bad

That would leave Monacco as the one really dull race of the year, I could live with that.

• “Surprised so many picked Turkey, surely the best Tilke…with a rather nice turn.”

It’s really a pretty boring track with one super turn.

If they dropped pouhon in the middle of Valencia it would still be a pretty boring track.

• Andy said on 10th April 2010, 4:19

Daffid – exactly my choice & thinking! I voted out Bahrain, Catalunya ,Valencia and Hungaring

Keep Abu Dhaibi & Singapore a bit longer, for reasons of esthetics more than anything.

Would like to see Paul Ricard (France) and a classic US track (Watson Glen or Indy). May be Imola.

Also I don’t mind Fuji (most hate). May be because I enjoyed going to the 2007/08 races there. So would’t mind alternating with the superior Suzuka as was planned. For variety really.

15. keepF1technical said on 9th April 2010, 9:57

who voted for spa? are you mad