Despite starting four places behind team mate Nico H?â??lkenberg, Rubens Barrichello caught and passed his team mate on the first lap of the race.
From there F1′s longest-serving driver used all his experience to bring the FW32 home in the points.
|Rubens Barrichello||Nico H?â??lkenberg|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’23.125 (+0.268)||1’22.857|
|Average race lap||1’28.683 (-1.075)||1’29.758|
Barrichello blamed traffic after failing to reach Q2 in qualifying on Saturday:
Unfortunately, I didn?óÔé¼Ôäót have a clear run during any of my outings; I just kept getting caught out by traffic. It?óÔé¼Ôäós going to happen to everyone at some stage this season; it was obviously just my turn today. It?óÔé¼Ôäós disappointing because I thought we had a shot at Q3 this afternoon. I was also carrying some car damage from stones thrown up by other cars which we will have to fix tonight.
Having made it to 12th on lap one, Barrichello picked up two more places through his pit stop and Lewis Hamilton’s retirement elevated him to ninth.
Having taken a lot of life out of his tyre, Barrichello reduced his pace considerably in the final six laps to guarantee his third points finish of the year.
H?â??lkenberg was unhappy to stay 13th at the start of the race having been passed by his team mate:
I don?óÔé¼Ôäót understand why yet, but I always felt like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time going into the corners in the first lap. After the first stop, I went offline and damaged the car which resulted in a lot less downforce. From there, it became a very difficult race for me.
Before damaging his car H?â??lkenberg’s pace was a match for Barrichello’s, staying within one second of the other FW32.
2010 Spanish Grand Prix
- 2010 Spanish Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Whitmarsh: Rim failure put Hamilton out
- Hamilton denies Webber a perfect result (Spanish Grand Prix facts and stats)
- Spanish Grand Prix in pictures
- Super start helps Alguersuari to points finish (Spanish Grand Prix analysis)
- Spanish Grand Prix fastest laps
- Webber dominates as Hamilton crashes out of second
- Spanish Grand Prix result
- Championship points after Spain
- Rate the race – Spain