Robert Kubica starts the Monaco Grand Prix from second on the grid.
It’s the best qualifying performance by a Renault driver since Fernando Alonso took pole position at the Hungaroring last year
And Kubica driver reckoned he would have been closer to Mark Webber’s pole position time if he’d managed his tyres better in Q3:
We took a different approach to the session and saved two sets of option tyres for Q3 so I could do two runs on new tyres. On the final lap of my second run I did a very quick first sector, but for the second half of the lap the tyres were already gone so I struggled for grip and could only match my earlier lap time.
When you come so close to pole, you are always a bit disappointed to miss out, but I think we can be very happy with our performance because we are in a great position to have a strong race tomorrow.
Kubica was the fastest driver through the first sector of the lap – over a tenth of a second faster than Webber – but the Red Bull drivers was quickest through the rest of the lap.
Team mate Petrov starts 14th after crashing at Sainte Devote in Q2. He explained what happened:
I was struggling with the brake balance and my front tyres were locking all the time. I tried to change the brake balance to the rear, but it was too much for my first flying lap and the rear locked, I spun and touched the wall.
2010 Monaco Grand Prix
- FIA admits “lack of clarity” and vows to change rules after Monaco controversy
- From the stands: David Entrican watches the Monaco Grand Prix at Monte-Carlo
- Schumacher’s Monaco penalty will stand after Mercedes withdraw appeal
- 2010 Monaco Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Should slower cars let the front runners pass when racing for position? (Poll)
- This time Vettel denies Webber a perfect result (Monaco GP stats and facts)
- Alonso’s mammoth stint and McLaren’s smart move
- Monaco Grand Prix fastest laps
- The FIA’s badly-written rules leave Formula 1 looking stupid once again
- Monaco Grand Prix in pictures
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others