FIA admits “lack of clarity” and vows to change rules after Monaco controversy

Posted on | Author Keith Collantine

The FIA will revise the rules that caught out Michael Schumacher
The FIA will revise the rules that caught out Michael Schumacher

The FIA has said it will make changes to the F1 rules following the controversy over Michael Schumacher’s penalty in the Monaco Grand Prix.

The governing body issued a statement saying:

The problems identified during the final lap of the Monaco Grand Prix, counting for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, showed a lack of clarity in the application of the rule prohibiting overtaking behind the Safety Car.

Adjustments to the regulations are necessary to clarify the procedure that cars must meet when the last lap is controlled by the Safety Car whilst also ensuring that the signaling for teams and drivers is made more clear.

These adjustments will help to avoid the problem which occurred during the Monaco Grand Prix from happening in the future.

The Formula One Commission, upon a proposal of the F1 Sporting Working Group will submit an amendment to the Sporting Regulations to address this issue. These amendments will be considered by the World Motor Sport Council at its next meeting in Geneva on June 23.
FIA statement

Over 1,100 comments on the incident have been received so far on F1 Fanatic, and 79% of readers said Schumacher should either receive a less severe penalty or no punishment at all.

Read more: The FIA?s badly-written rules leave Formula 1 looking stupid once again