The F1 teams agreed between them not to use Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) this year.
But now they are considering bringing them back next year – either by letting teams develop their own systems, or making one specification system available to everyone.
Would you like to see the return of the power boost button in 2011?
Having a boost of power available on-demand can help drivers overtake.
Technology to recover energy lost in deceleration is increasingly common in road cars and, with growing pressure on fuel supplies, is likely to remain so in the future.
This makes it an attractive technology for car manufactures who want to be involved in F1.
The teams agreed not to use KERS this year to keep costs down. Reintroducing it may widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots – especially if teams are allowed free development of KERS.
Electrical KERS also brings safety complications for those handling the cars in the pits and marshals who may have to handle damaged KERS-equipped cars in the event of an accident.
If F1 is going to remain a place for innovation in motorsport, then it’s hard to argue against a technology that has sound environmental credentials, is easily understood by the wider public, and could improve the quality of racing. Especially if ‘spec’ units can be made available to teams at low cost.
Should KERS come back in 2011? Cast your vote and have your say below.
Should KERS come back in 2011?
- Yes - teams should have free choice of which KERS they use (59%)
- Yes - but all teams should have to use the same specification KERS (23%)
- No - I don't want to see KERS devices return to Formula 1 next year at all (18%)
Total Voters: 2,232
- While F1 dithers over KERS, road car hybrid technology leaves it behind
- KERS return could improve racing ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ Simon
- Nico H?â??lkenberg laps Nordschleife in Williams Hybrid Porsche (Video)
- Ferrari?óÔé¼Ôäós KERS hybrid road car (Pictures)
- Goodbye to?óÔé¼?ª KERS
- F1 teams to abandon KERS in 2010
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others