F1 to race in Texas, USA in 2012

Keke Rosberg won F1's only previous race in Texas in 1984

Keke Rosberg won F1's only previous race in Texas in 1984

Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed Formula 1 will return to the United States of America in 2012.

But, despite much speculation about a race being held in or near New York, the destination for F1′s next US Grand Prix is Austin in Texas.

According to Formula1.com a ten-year deal will see F1 race in Austin from 2012 to 2021.

Ecclestone said:

For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event.
Bernie Ecclestone

The race is being organised by Full Throttle Promotions. Managing partner Tavo Hellmund said:

We realise that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix.

We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right – to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix as one of the great sporting events in the world.
Tavo Hellmund

The promotion company say further details on the race will be announced shortly. At the moment there is no information on exactly where the track will be or who it will be designed by, though it would a surprise if anyone other than Hermann Tilke got the job.

F1 raced on a temporary street circuit in Dallas, Texas, in 1984, but never returned to the venue. The United States Grand Prix was last held at the Indianpolis road course from 2000 to 2007.

255 comments on F1 to race in Texas, USA in 2012

1. Bebilou said on 26th May 2010, 8:15

I think we all agree to say that that Tilke has made pretty boring tracks, with maybe 5-6 interesting corners in all of them. For example, Abu Dhabi is an insult to every F1 fan.

But maybe we can do something about the future track in Austin ? Send a collective email to Tilke or FIA ? Make a petition ? Tell them that the fans want to see fast and challenging corners, not hairpins ? We could at least try to do something.

• Prisoer Monkeys said on 26th May 2010, 8:44

Um, you actually need hairpins and tight corners for overtaking. Or at least heavy braking zone. They’ve been a mainstay of circuit design since La Sarthe (two examples: the Mulsanne and Indianpolis) and the Nurburgring (four examples: Aremberg, Adeneaur-Forst, the corner before Karussel and the end of Dottinger-Hohe).

And internet petitions don’t work. Hermann Tilke has to work wthin the regulations inthe rule book and he doesn’t get to pick the land he builds on.

2. Prisoer Monkeys said on 26th May 2010, 9:14

That’ll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!

3. TMTR said on 26th May 2010, 9:25

Back to reality – re: this entire fiasco, please read online the 2 Austin, Tx. newspapers, “statesman” & “Austin Business Journal”. Bernie’s overworked. Take a break Bernie. The strain is showing.

4. PJA said on 26th May 2010, 9:35

I haven’t read all the 222 comments yet so please forgive me if some of my questions have already been answered.

Well this is a surprise. Although Ecclestone has been trying to get a Grand Prix in the USA he seemed to want somewhere with a glitzy location such as New York, so I didn’t expect Austin to be announced without even any rumours beforehand.

Of all the potential countries to host a GP I thought the US would be the least likely to build a purpose built circuit from scratch.

The new circuits and races in recent years have all received Government backing, but considering the economic situation I wouldn’t have thought this would be case here, especially as the US in general does not seem to care that much for F1 and they don’t need it to promote the country such as Abu Dhabi. If Ecclestone is demanding his usual fees I can’t see how it will be financially viable.

If this new circuit does not have an oval incorporated into it, will it still be busy enough the rest of the year to make the money back, as please correct me if I am wrong, but even though there are series such as Indycar which do not stick exclusively to ovals I though that NASCAR, which is the biggest draw, did.

If the race is held after the Canadian GP they have two years to get everything ready, a bit more if it is held later in the year. This seems doesn’t seem that long to me. What is the planning application process like in Texas, because if it was in the UK I would say it defiantly wouldn’t be ready in two years if they haven’t even got planning permission yet, as if they had it would already have been in the news quite a while ago.

When they announce some more details it may all become clearer. I really hope they get a good circuit and the Grand Prix is a success.

5. Paulipedia said on 26th May 2010, 9:38

As long as it’s designed with an Eau Rouge, Becketts, Turn 8/130R (maybe both :) ), Circuit de Nevers, Pouhan a long straight and a hairpin I’ll be happy, oh and a Hooters could be fun!

6. antonyob said on 26th May 2010, 10:16

great another hot dry anonymous desert location with no spectators. just what F1 needed, why not just put it on the moon bernie!!! ?

a slightly reprofiled laguna seca wouldve been my choice. or better still put all 18 races on in Britain we’ve some of the lousiest weather and most enthusiastic fans in the world. a grand prix in the lake district would be spectacular.

7. graham228221 said on 26th May 2010, 10:37

I’d love to see F1 and one of the american series race on the same track, preferably on the same weekend.

It would be the easiest way for Indy/NASCAR to get more exposure in Europe and for F1 to start breaking into the US properly.

BE might not like it, but I think it would be an entertaining weekend!

8. Hamish said on 26th May 2010, 11:12

Keith I know you did it a while back, but this site has gathered a lot of momentum since then. Perhaps have a design a Austin Texas circuit? No prizes, merely pride and recognition at stake.

9. Zibit said on 26th May 2010, 16:00

Tilke needs the blueprints to Road America, ASAP!

10. antonyob said on 26th May 2010, 16:06

your quite right Glennda, the Americans are so educated about the rest of the world that i feel duty bound to educate myself about Austicks. To be fair, its not just Texass that is an anonymous dustbowl not fit for an f1 track, almost anywhere in the US of HA couldve been picked

• Glenn said on 26th May 2010, 16:13

Hey I’m not claiming to be educated about the rest of the world, but I surely will try to educate myself before making a statement about something I dont know about. Apparently you have another agenda, so I will leave you to yourself, you doing an excellent job discrediting yourself on your own.

11. antonyob said on 26th May 2010, 16:18

thanks Glenn. no problem.

12. Paul McCaffrey said on 26th May 2010, 17:24

I just found out and am glad to hear that the USGP will be in Austin. Totally a shock.

13. Steven Hoover said on 27th May 2010, 1:18

I live in Austin Texas and this is huge news. Within 4 hours of Austin live 22 million people so I don’t think having people come to the race will be a problem. Texas has the world’s eleventh biggest economy and we’re just a state. Austin has lots of money and a vibe unlike anywhere else. If it happens, I think it will be very successful.

14. I like to see Jerry Jones involved as is Mark Cuban and promote the Cypher Group as their 13th entry!!!!!!

15. Alex 3 said on 27th May 2010, 15:45

Before everyone goes gaga over this step back and ask the question. Where is the money to come from to build this facility?
    It will cost upwards of $500,000,000 when all the track related facilities and infrastructure and land acquisition is factored in. It will take promotors at least 10 yr to cover their costs and get a ROI.
    As usual Bernie has been dazzled by people of great ambition but little else. He messed up with Donington while Silverstone has built something from something.
    The lesson here was to do something about Indy or do something with an existing facility to bring it up to a standard that the FIA could approve.
    My bet is this will die an early death and we will never see a race there.