Webber and Vettel lose one-two finish for Red Bull after collision (Poll)

Vettel spins off after colliding with team mate Webber

Vettel spins off after colliding with team mate Webber

Red Bull threw away a potential one-two finish in the Turkish Grand Prix after their drivers collided while leading.

Sebastian Vettel had pulled alongside team mate Mark Webber on the straight approaching turn 12 when the two made contact.

The collision put Vettel out on the spot. Mark Webber continued but had to pit to replace a damaged front wing and eventually finished third.

The pair were under pressure from Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren when they hit each other, and the accident let Hamilton by into the lead.

Vettel went down the inside of Webber as they blasted from turn 11 to turn 12. As Vettel drew past he moved towards Webber and the pair made contact. Vettel spun off with a burst tyre.

Afterwards Vettel said:

I was able to go quicker the two or three laps before. I had the corner on the left and was just trying to focus on braking point and all of a sudden I lost the car. You can see on the television we made contact.

I’m not kind of guy that pushes all the fault to one guy we are a team.
Sebastian Vettel

Webber explained what happened in the press conference:

Seb had big top speed advantage, he went down the inside and we were side by side for a while.

The he turned pretty quick right and we made contact. It happened very, very fast. It’s a shame for the team, it’s obviously not an ideal day.

There was long way to go in race, it wasn’t a guaranteed victory. But but it was an interesting few metres and in the end it wasn’t the result either of us want.
Mark Webber

Team boss Christian Horner said he was “disappointed” by the collision, adding “we handed 43 points to McLaren on a plate.”

Afterwards Lewis Hamilton said Vettel’s move on Webber was the same as one Vettel made on him when he tried to pass Vettel at the same place earlier in the race.

Who do you blame for the Red Bull collision?

• Sebastian Vettel (75%)
  • Mark Webber (8%)
  • Both of them (14%)
  • Neither (3%)

Total Voters: 4,338

Loading ... Loading ...

2010 Turkish Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Turkish Grand Prix articles

416 comments on Webber and Vettel lose one-two finish for Red Bull after collision (Poll)

1. Jay Menon said on 30th May 2010, 15:10

Bad team management, period. Christian Horner needs steel up his presence.

This was a racing incident. I personally feel that both are at fault. We got Gary Anderson (Formerly of Jordan) out here in Asia for Star Sports. His take was that Webber should have thought about the championship and the team, let Vettel past (who did have the inside line), regroup and have a go again.

Its easy to blame Webber, but Vettel was ahead and had the inside line…typically, Webber should have let him go..but in Webber’s defence, Vettel did look to turn in quite sharply..both are to blame!

• Initially I thought it was a dumb move by Vettel, but I’m reading it like Jay now. Except I would disagree that Vettel turned sharply, he just headed for the braking point gently, Webber assumed they were still fighting and only gave him one lane.

• smith said on 30th May 2010, 16:46

Headed for the braking point gently? Are you nuts? He jinked hard and fast. It seemed like he was trying to ‘scare’ Webber out of the way.

• DASMAN said on 30th May 2010, 19:39

You must be blind – even Brundle said the cars appeared to merge together. There was no jinking as you suggest.

2. dragon said on 30th May 2010, 15:10

Does anyone know where I can hear/see Horner’s comments? I’m very interested. Mark hadn’t even had a chance to begin turning IN to the corner, so it’s not even like they steered into each other. Incredible that Eddie Jordan was defending Vettel. As Button beautifully demonstrated, brake in a straight line, take the corner up the inside and try and hold it for the following corner…and as Hamilton just as beautifully demonstrated, Mark would have attempted to get an earlier apex and re-pass back up the inside, had he been given a chance. Vettel signalling afterwards that Webber was crazy can be put down to hot anger, but if even now he still doesn’t acknowledge it was his fault…well, it wouldn’t be entirely unexpected either.

3. Mark gave Vettel a car and a bit’s room on the inside, thats all he needs to give. Its up to Seb to work with whats he’s got to make it work.

Vettels fault for sure for turning right….. seems he likes to push guys outta the way – remember how he tried to push Hamilton into mechanics in the pit lane a few races ago?

• Patrickl said on 30th May 2010, 16:06

True.

Also don’t forget how he pushed Button into the pitlane exit at the Valencia 2009 start.

Or how he shoved Hamilton into Webber in China after the restart.

4. Antifia said on 30th May 2010, 15:11

Webber was clearly going slower into the next corner and when Vettel put his car alongside, he tried to squeeze the German out of the track. Webber’s wife (David Coultard) saw it differently…but what would you expect?

• Patrickl said on 30th May 2010, 16:07

Initially Webber squeezed Vettel yes, but that was more because he was trying to close the gap. After Vettel dove into the hole, he yielded and gave Vettel enoug space.

Vettel had more than a car width space. That’s enough.

• David A said on 30th May 2010, 16:39

Webber did squeeze, but once Vettel was side by side, he left Vettel enough room to get by. Then Vettel turned right, and striaght into Webber.

Oh, and not every single person’s opinion is a conspiracy.

5. Mike said on 30th May 2010, 15:12

This is being taken way out of context because a) they are team mates and b) they were leading the race.

This was a racing incident, as Vettel said, he was concentrating on the corner and moved across, silly yes, evil no. It was no ones fault, it was just a combination of events, both drivers could have acted differently and ergo prevented the incident, but fate had the last say.

Of course Eddie Jordan had to come on and say they it wasn’t Vettel’s fault, so now everyone thinks it was……..

They both drover very well through the race, And neither should be persecuted for it. Personally I think Alonso’s move on Petrov is much worse, Alonso could have avoided that, but he pushed him, Petrov had a great race and Alonso ruined it.

• Scribe said on 30th May 2010, 18:03

Man the fact that they are teamates is the context that this is being looked at. An errr, the fact that they where teamates an leading the race makes this even more sensational

• I thought Eddie’s argument was particularly unconvincing. He kept stating how it wasn’t Vettel’s fault, but every point he brought up contradicted what he was trying to say. Remind me not to hire EJ as my defence lawyer if I ever get charged with a crime :)

6. Emanon said on 30th May 2010, 15:12

For those that doubt the guilt of Vettel, have a look at a reply and watch Webber’s hands.
    He doesn’t deviate from his line !
    Someone senior need to “educate” this upstart about earning his stripes and the team comes first.
    He cost himself, Webber and the team points with a stupid, frivolous move that only exemplifies his immaturity!

7. Salty said on 30th May 2010, 15:13

Crazy move by Vettel. Fast driver, but lacks the judgement to overtake well. Webber will not be buddying up to him after that. Big headaches ahead for Christian Horner this season I think.

8. KiwiF1 said on 30th May 2010, 15:16

When Lewis made a move on Vettel, Vettel did the same thing, moved right to scare Lewis off. Lewis went back to the team and called it dangerous.

I agree re Honer interview, ‘give each other room’ to me thats a dig at Webber… They favour Vettel in that team it feels.

oh and Lewis’ GF… what a drip…

9. Sam said on 30th May 2010, 15:18

Looked more like a “dont let it happen again” pat on the back.

10. kallan said on 30th May 2010, 15:18

As a Vettel fan I’ve been dissapointed in his driving a few times now. He doesn’t seem to have a cool head or the patience in these situations. That said, he was in Webbers view for a good second or so, maybe Webber had enough time to nove aside and open some space, but I don’t think he was obliged to.

11. claudioff said on 30th May 2010, 15:20

I think I am speaking for all that are not Hamilton/Mc fans, and like me was watching the race and thinking: “At least I got the 4 first positions in terms of prediction championship”.
    Vettel you have just got a enemy ;)

• Mike said on 30th May 2010, 16:24

Yeah! I had 4 of 5 perfect! Web, Vet, Ham and Schu! now I have !!! not much again………

Speaking objectively, I’d say that this was or designed by Mosley and Todt with Bernie’s backing to force Seb into the crash because secretly Mosley is trying to win the ticket to Silverstone but is in fear of my skillz………. now speaking as a lunatic…

12. Byron R said on 30th May 2010, 15:21

Hopefully vettel will suffer race stewards wrath at the next event. Definitely his fault, in replay webber turned right to avoid contact, but it was too late. Vettel you’re a dumb****.

13. Atticus said on 30th May 2010, 15:26

Lol I’m surprised most of you think that it’s Vettel who was at fault. I think the visitors of this site have a quite in-depth understanding of the sport that’s why I feel so.

Look it was Vettel who was ahead he was the one who dictates the tempo and he had the right to go where he wants on the track.

You know the unwritten rule of F1 at least since the Schumi-Villeneuve affair in 1997:

” The one who is at front has the advantage. “

• Webber could of, but never had to or was obliged to in anyway, give more room…
      Vettel had to hold his line but didn’t and tried to move right to have better line into the corner…shame there was a car right beside him LOL

Vettel 200% at fault regardless.

• Patrickl said on 30th May 2010, 16:09

Even if that was true, Webber didn’t even get time to move out of the way. Vettel simply moved too fast to the right

• smith said on 30th May 2010, 16:49

What the hell are you taling about?! Webber was on the racing line – end of story. Vettel jinked right too fast and caused the crash – Vettel messed up.

• Brake Bias said on 30th May 2010, 16:50

What part of Vettel was beside Webber when Vettel moved into him did you not see? To say Vettel was passed him is a little incorrect as he was not fully passed when he moved over hence wheel to wheel contact.

Vettels move was more akin to Australian V8’s rather than F1.

14. sato113 said on 30th May 2010, 15:27

we must remember they weren’t just racing for the race but also for the championship!

15. steph said on 30th May 2010, 15:28

I’ve already said I think it was mostly Vettel’s fault. I wonder ewhat the rules are with racing at red Bull – are they allowed to race? If one makes a move do they have to immediately let them by? Do they stay in order? I’d assume it was a nice compromise of race and not be silly but I do wonder how these two are being managed.

I have to agree with Patrickl above about Vettel’s reactions too.

This wasn’t the first time today Vettel’s pulled right. When lewis tried to overtake him he tried to scare hjim off and then Lewis outbraked himself I think when he got distracted by that. I think either Vettel seriously misjudged how far ahead he was or he tried to make Mark back off or give him more room. Maybe Mark should have gave him more room but this is racing and I’d love to know what RBR’s policy was before and after this incident.

• HounslowBusGarage said on 30th May 2010, 15:34

Apart from the actual incident, I was rather disappointed with Vettel’s waving his finger around at the side of his head, apparently blaming Webber for being ‘crazy’. Or have I read that incorrectly; was he indicating to the world that he (Vettel) had just done something very stupid?

• steph said on 30th May 2010, 16:10

I read it as Vettel implying Webber was crazy which was a disappointment too

• Carl said on 30th May 2010, 16:41

I read it as ‘ooo I’m a silly boy’ so only SV could tell us what he really meant by it.

• Patrickl said on 30th May 2010, 16:49

Look at Vettel’s angry face in his interview. It was pretty clear that he blamed Webber for the incident.

• nik said on 30th May 2010, 16:37

Webber qualified half a second faster than Seb. Webber was leading and Seb was third until the team and a mistake during Hamilton’s stop got him into second. If I was team principal, the rules at that point between the team mates would be that unless Mark has a problem, or you are so clearly faster than him over the course of a few laps and have a clear overtaking opportunity, that you don’t overtake. Mark did more than enough work this weekend to take the win, and it was ruined by Seb sticking his nose in because he somehow felt entitled to take the position.

• Scribe said on 30th May 2010, 18:06

I don’t think Webber has got the more advantageous pit stop once this season.

Vettle was clearly furious when he made the crazy sign, i’m not going to judge him on that.

An Vettle isn’t usually this agressive, preassure is telling, it’s good to see though. All the same this was his fault an the points lost today are on his head.

• Hare said on 31st May 2010, 3:44

All in All, I’m glad Webber got the points haul over Vettel. This Austrian-German favouritism rumour has the potential to ruin good racing.

Who want’s to remember Schumacher and Barrichello.

I want them to race, and if they crash so be it. Webber should fight for his right to the World Championship, there’s no way, as a fan, I would be happy with in house favouritism because of national background, or expense at training the boy star up.

In this area, I respect and enjoy McLaren’s approach, even though it’s lost them World Championships in the past.

16. Sam said on 30th May 2010, 15:30

Yeah except vettel turned towards mark when he hadnt even gotten all the way past him yet.

17. taurus said on 30th May 2010, 15:33

Clearly Vettel’s fault. Wasn’t far enough in front before he cut across. How anyone could blame Webber is beyond me – he was under no obligation whatsoever to move out of Vettel’s way.

18. Monaco73 said on 30th May 2010, 15:34

@Dragon – Horner’s comments were on the BBC feed after the press conference. Horner needs to manage his comments better – welcome to the big league of driver, ego and team management. Webber could well carry the team to their first WDC, not Vettel as previously thought at the start of the season.

19. VitaRedux said on 30th May 2010, 15:35

Vettel’s fault from what I saw. He raced past Webber but knew he didn’t have a good line to take the corner. Tried a shimmy at Webber to push him offline. Webber wasn’t having any of it and then either Vettel lost control or maybe tried a second shimmy that went wrong.
    Webber ought to be able to drive in a straight line without having that happen to him. Come the corner he would have had a harder time; wouldn’t have been able to turn in on Vettel who was ahead but it never got that far.

20. RSWF1 said on 30th May 2010, 15:40

Well Vettel is definately keeping the Mini Shumey nickname… he turned to the right and everything well done old boy, now just leave it out until the last race when it might mean something. Would love to be a fly on the wall for the Webber Vs Vettel meeting afterwards…