Webber and Vettel lose one-two finish for Red Bull after collision (Poll)

Posted on | Author Keith Collantine

Vettel spins off after colliding with team mate Webber
Vettel spins off after colliding with team mate Webber

Red Bull threw away a potential one-two finish in the Turkish Grand Prix after their drivers collided while leading.

Sebastian Vettel had pulled alongside team mate Mark Webber on the straight approaching turn 12 when the two made contact.

The collision put Vettel out on the spot. Mark Webber continued but had to pit to replace a damaged front wing and eventually finished third.

The pair were under pressure from Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren when they hit each other, and the accident let Hamilton by into the lead.

Vettel went down the inside of Webber as they blasted from turn 11 to turn 12. As Vettel drew past he moved towards Webber and the pair made contact. Vettel spun off with a burst tyre.

Afterwards Vettel said:

I was able to go quicker the two or three laps before. I had the corner on the left and was just trying to focus on braking point and all of a sudden I lost the car. You can see on the television we made contact.

I’m not kind of guy that pushes all the fault to one guy we are a team.
Sebastian Vettel

Webber explained what happened in the press conference:

Seb had big top speed advantage, he went down the inside and we were side by side for a while.

The he turned pretty quick right and we made contact. It happened very, very fast. It’s a shame for the team, it’s obviously not an ideal day.

There was long way to go in race, it wasn’t a guaranteed victory. But but it was an interesting few metres and in the end it wasn’t the result either of us want.
Mark Webber

Team boss Christian Horner said he was “disappointed” by the collision, adding “we handed 43 points to McLaren on a plate.”

Afterwards Lewis Hamilton said Vettel’s move on Webber was the same as one Vettel made on him when he tried to pass Vettel at the same place earlier in the race.

Who do you blame for the Red Bull collision?

• Sebastian Vettel (75%)
  • Mark Webber (8%)
  • Both of them (14%)
  • Neither (3%)

Total Voters: 4,338

Loading ... Loading ...

2010 Turkish Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Turkish Grand Prix articles

416 comments on “Webber and Vettel lose one-two finish for Red Bull after collision (Poll)”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  1. Hatebreeder
    30th May 2010, 16:30

Sucks. Itz obvious. Such stunts are to be tried only when there is no one behind the 2. when there is an attacker like hamilton who looks for such chances n mistakes from the ones in front itz best to not take a risk. worst it wudve put vettel a few points short of webber in the championship leads. now with a DNF its even worse.

2. I think Vettel was caught between a rock and a hard place.

This is how I saw it:

At about 47 seconds in the video you see Webber twitch the steering wheel to the left (even though Vettel was alongside him by this point). Vettel had gained from the slip stream and easily went past him however was now being driven essentially off the road by Webber. As they approached the breaking zone Vettel was brushing the white line and instinctively cut right hoping that Webber was going to do the same for the left hander. He obviously did not.

I wonder if they would still have come together if Vettel had’nt had gone right, Vettel could easily have done an Alonso from quali and get out of shape as a result of touching the white line.

Racing incident for me (50-50), just unfortunate it was two team mates.

3. Just look at how much Vettel’s front left tyre moves from the white line on the side of the track after initially running parallel to it. I think the bumpy track can take a small part of the blame, but clearly seb moved across on Mark way to early

4. Umm is it just me but in that video towards the end do you see Horner saying ‘move, move’??

Guess there’s evidence he wanted Mark to open the door for their no 1… hehe

5. Hearing Vettel’s explanation I think less harshly of him than I did at the time, but it was still his fault. Understandable that he was angry at the time but his hand gestures were not impressive.

6. Re: VMM, who else thinks the low fuel biz was a canard to keep the cars from racing? Not a lie—-Maybe they had some concern, but just made a big deal of it after seeing the RBR fail. The fact that Button trod to sneak one at the end was pretty conniving. The way Hamilton slapped him back summed up hamiltons domination of his teammate this weekend.

7. What I would love to know is how come Jenson was able to catch up with Hamilton if they were both nursing low fuel. Something funny going on there!

Note to the other G: choose a different name, it is very confusing seeing two different G’s!

1. No u change yours! ;oP

1. No, BOTH of you change it.

I am the real G. Any other is an imposter, not even worth an H.

8. I’ve always been a bit of Vettel fan, but it’s ridicilous he can’t admit his mistakes. Surely Webber could’ve given him more room, but he gave Vettel enough “team mate advantage” by not blocking him in the first place.

9. Cesar M. Martin-Saez
    30th May 2010, 17:14

That’s why some are calling Vettel “Mini-Schummi”, I’m afraid. Same flag, same ego, same bad manners…

CAESAR (S.P.Q.R.).

10. give webber a nascar!

11. This is ridiculous honestly… Vettel is always critical of his team when he isn’t pole, critical of other drivers when he instigates contact or crashes. Vettel is immature and far too agressive for F1… Nascar would suit him and his crazy, over agressive, egotistic attitude. I know I’m really having a go at Vettel here but 2 months ago he was my favourite F1 driver… But after this he has shown he is nothing more than a selfish egotistical driver who can’t ever declare he’s made an error. How low of him to do that to the team and teammate! I’ve had enough of defending him, you can’t defend this incident. Completely his fault & Red Bull just lost a fan because of him (not that they’d care as long as their pretty boy doesn’t leave then all is good right?).

12. And Horner now says that it was Webber’s fault.

From what happened and the rumours it appears the red bull team tried to speed Vettel up relative to Webber and then wanted/expected Webber to give him the victory.

Personally I just don’t think Vettel is all that although he certainly thinks he is.

Everyone always said how Hamilton was dangerous in the beginning and even still now but Vettel is much more dangerous, that move and the one on Lewis earlier shows that now he’s feeling the pressure because he’s not quite as good as people and himself thought he was and now he’s starting to crack.

That said I think there’s something going on in McClaren – I’ve got a funny feeling the team prefer Jenson and so does Lewis and that’s why he was so glum when winning. I can’t imagine why as I still think he’s proved he’s much faster although Jenson has shown himself a worthy champion.

13. IMO Vettel’s fault.To me it’s clear, Webber gave enough room and hold his line perfectly straight, Vettel “lost control” on the straight? No, he moved to the right to take the corner, before the overtake was even finished. He should have sticked to the inside line, overtake or racing line, in that case you can’t have it both ways!

Vettel’s fault, but Webber is going to take the blame from Horner.

14. The vote shows it — mostly Vettel’s fault. Mark was entitled to hold his line… Vettel is immature – lets face it he has “randy mandy” stencilled on his dash – is he 16 or what? What next – furry dice?!!

1. No, a nodding dog on top of the dash. He can talk to it and get advice during a race.Maybe he can call it Christian!

1. MouseNightshirt
        1st June 2010, 0:27

Yes Ohhhhhhh Yes!!!!!

1. MouseNightshirt
          1st June 2010, 0:28

(For anyone who didn’t get that – UK TV ad)

15. I think they were both extremely lucky as it could have been a collosal accident. Just imagine if Vettel had flipped it, dosn’t bare thinking about. Lucky, lucky boys.

16. Just the kind of fireworks 8-10 very talented drivers are likely to produce.
    I’ve got one over the top comment. Seb we know you are fast. You have world champion in your future, and everybody knows it. Be patient … no need for desperation. Mark is definitely at his peak and he didn’t get there without a team effort. Protect him if you have to … protect the team. I can guarantee the team will protect you when it’s your time. And bro … yours is comming.

17. The lap before the accident, Ted kravitz said Webber was the slowest of the front four, Vettel obviously thought this too, took a chance and failed, i think thy were both at fault, Vettel tried to block Webber, Webber was having none of it, they crashed, Webber won Vettel lost…. just my opinion :o)

18. Mark in Florida
    30th May 2010, 17:46

That scene at the end of the race with Horner petting Vettel on the back like he was a three year old that just broke Grandmas vase was sickening.What he should have done was took him to the van and chewed his a$$ for being impatient and throwing away the points lead.Vettel is a talented driver but over and over his impatience has shown that he still has a rookie mentality.He will not be a true winner or world champion until he learns to look at the whole season and not just one race.

1. Totally agree. Horner has been letting Vettel off way too much. He needs to ride his a$$ back into line. If Horner hasn’t the cojones to do it, Mateschitz needs to put someone in there who can. Shame, because I like CH, but he badly needs to step back and manage this situation properly. Team first, and right now Webber is pulling in the results.

19. Vincent1972
    30th May 2010, 17:52

i dont blame any of them. i want to see racing even between team mates. things happens. what i hated more is the instruction to save fuel. this prevents drivers to go racing. mclarens radio instructions should be investigated. if their cars proven to have enough fuel, penalize them. fans were deprived of great racing. i am more against the strategy of mclaren than redbulls even the crash lost me 18 precious ponints in my prediction :(

1. exactly … totaly agree

2. Charles Carroll
      30th May 2010, 18:41

I agree Vincent.

And about the fuel thing, I guess they wanted no refueling this year to improve the show. That is debatable. Perhaps it would have been better instead to require all cars to start with a full tank, but allow refueling during the race if they’ve driven so hard as to empty their tanks.

Maybe with that option, some drivers would be “rabbits” and increase the pace so as to drain the tanks of their rivals and force pit stops. Could be interesting.

1. Paper Tiger
        30th May 2010, 21:20

They wanted refuelling to save money, not to improve the show.

1. Paper Tiger
          30th May 2010, 21:21

Idiot. “…to STOP refuelling…”

2. Charles Carroll
          31st May 2010, 0:37

Ah, I see. Isn’t it a bit of a wash though, since they built larger tanks and fill them to the brim?

20. This is not a teamsport….. it is about who is havving the biggest ####. Alonso gaining a position on Massa in the pit lane, Jenson atacking Hamilton……. That is wat racing is all about and i want to see that…….

And in Vettels defence….. Marc was closing Vettel to the left even when he was beaten

1. You want to see guys with big ***** racing each other but you think Webber should have just stayed right and let Vettel cruise past and take whatever line he wanted. Make up your mind.

1. Webber reacted exactly like my mind and that is what i want to see. Only almost everybody is blaming Vettel and for what….. He was racing and trying to win the GP.

There are no ghostcars in reallife racing and collisions will happen.

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7