Webber and Vettel lose one-two finish for Red Bull after collision (Poll)

Vettel spins off after colliding with team mate Webber

Vettel spins off after colliding with team mate Webber

Red Bull threw away a potential one-two finish in the Turkish Grand Prix after their drivers collided while leading.

Sebastian Vettel had pulled alongside team mate Mark Webber on the straight approaching turn 12 when the two made contact.

The collision put Vettel out on the spot. Mark Webber continued but had to pit to replace a damaged front wing and eventually finished third.

The pair were under pressure from Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren when they hit each other, and the accident let Hamilton by into the lead.

Vettel went down the inside of Webber as they blasted from turn 11 to turn 12. As Vettel drew past he moved towards Webber and the pair made contact. Vettel spun off with a burst tyre.

Afterwards Vettel said:

I was able to go quicker the two or three laps before. I had the corner on the left and was just trying to focus on braking point and all of a sudden I lost the car. You can see on the television we made contact.

I’m not kind of guy that pushes all the fault to one guy we are a team.
Sebastian Vettel

Webber explained what happened in the press conference:

Seb had big top speed advantage, he went down the inside and we were side by side for a while.

The he turned pretty quick right and we made contact. It happened very, very fast. It’s a shame for the team, it’s obviously not an ideal day.

There was long way to go in race, it wasn’t a guaranteed victory. But but it was an interesting few metres and in the end it wasn’t the result either of us want.
Mark Webber

Team boss Christian Horner said he was “disappointed” by the collision, adding “we handed 43 points to McLaren on a plate.”

Afterwards Lewis Hamilton said Vettel’s move on Webber was the same as one Vettel made on him when he tried to pass Vettel at the same place earlier in the race.

[poll id="139"]

2010 Turkish Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Turkish Grand Prix articles

416 comments on Webber and Vettel lose one-two finish for Red Bull after collision (Poll)

1. Richard said on 30th May 2010, 17:35

Just the kind of fireworks 8-10 very talented drivers are likely to produce.
    I’ve got one over the top comment. Seb we know you are fast. You have world champion in your future, and everybody knows it. Be patient … no need for desperation. Mark is definitely at his peak and he didn’t get there without a team effort. Protect him if you have to … protect the team. I can guarantee the team will protect you when it’s your time. And bro … yours is comming.

2. Handybaggy said on 30th May 2010, 17:42

The lap before the accident, Ted kravitz said Webber was the slowest of the front four, Vettel obviously thought this too, took a chance and failed, i think thy were both at fault, Vettel tried to block Webber, Webber was having none of it, they crashed, Webber won Vettel lost…. just my opinion :o)

3. Mark in Florida said on 30th May 2010, 17:46

That scene at the end of the race with Horner petting Vettel on the back like he was a three year old that just broke Grandmas vase was sickening.What he should have done was took him to the van and chewed his a$$ for being impatient and throwing away the points lead.Vettel is a talented driver but over and over his impatience has shown that he still has a rookie mentality.He will not be a true winner or world champion until he learns to look at the whole season and not just one race.

• Salty said on 30th May 2010, 18:21

Totally agree. Horner has been letting Vettel off way too much. He needs to ride his a$$ back into line. If Horner hasn’t the cojones to do it, Mateschitz needs to put someone in there who can. Shame, because I like CH, but he badly needs to step back and manage this situation properly. Team first, and right now Webber is pulling in the results.

4. Vincent1972 said on 30th May 2010, 17:52

i dont blame any of them. i want to see racing even between team mates. things happens. what i hated more is the instruction to save fuel. this prevents drivers to go racing. mclarens radio instructions should be investigated. if their cars proven to have enough fuel, penalize them. fans were deprived of great racing. i am more against the strategy of mclaren than redbulls even the crash lost me 18 precious ponints in my prediction :(

• Ton said on 30th May 2010, 18:29

exactly … totaly agree

• Charles Carroll said on 30th May 2010, 18:41

I agree Vincent.

And about the fuel thing, I guess they wanted no refueling this year to improve the show. That is debatable. Perhaps it would have been better instead to require all cars to start with a full tank, but allow refueling during the race if they’ve driven so hard as to empty their tanks.

Maybe with that option, some drivers would be “rabbits” and increase the pace so as to drain the tanks of their rivals and force pit stops. Could be interesting.

5. Ton said on 30th May 2010, 18:26

This is not a teamsport….. it is about who is havving the biggest ####. Alonso gaining a position on Massa in the pit lane, Jenson atacking Hamilton……. That is wat racing is all about and i want to see that…….

And in Vettels defence….. Marc was closing Vettel to the left even when he was beaten

• spawinte said on 30th May 2010, 18:30

You want to see guys with big ***** racing each other but you think Webber should have just stayed right and let Vettel cruise past and take whatever line he wanted. Make up your mind.

• Ton said on 30th May 2010, 19:02

Webber reacted exactly like my mind and that is what i want to see. Only almost everybody is blaming Vettel and for what….. He was racing and trying to win the GP.

There are no ghostcars in reallife racing and collisions will happen.

6. James_mc said on 30th May 2010, 18:28

I think that Vettel is definitely seen as “the future” by many in the sport and many in RBR’s management, however I think that they are resigned to loosing him to Mercedes once they develop as a team and Schumacher goes. Therefore I reckon that they believe that if they give him a title, he’ll stay.

I find it hard to believe that there is favouritism by Horner (and the team), despite hints otherwise today. Mainly because Horner and Webber do get on quite well and they are currently working together with Mark Webber’s GP3 team.

7. NetSticks said on 30th May 2010, 18:35

Vettel is a spoiled brat and people will eventually fathom that! ME – I always knew it. Thanks for the crash – Great 1-2 for McLaren and Hamilton’s return to the victories and nice places in Drivers and Constructors Champs. !!! :D

8. Jedi James said on 30th May 2010, 18:44

This was 100% vettel’s fault, he did not need to be there. The team had a 1-2 in the bag. If he was not in that place, no accident. Also reminds me of when he turned right into hamilton in the pitlane, as I said then the guy is dangerous and needs to be reprimanded.

9. -A- said on 30th May 2010, 18:48

First of all, I’m surprised that the stewards don’t appear to have chosen to at least investigate the scene between Webber and Vettel. It was a dangerous collision, under the circumstances that they both risked a lot, racing each other at the fastest part of the circuit, well to the left off the usual racing line, all the while leaving each other just enough space to maybe still be able to get it right going around turn 12. A contact at these speeds might as well have led to a much more severe crash than what it turned out to be.

The way I’m interpreting what was shown on the replay, Webber made his intentions of defending his position clear by moving off the racing line to the left (inside) for turn 12 — and by making that one steering move to the left as Vettel is going alongside him. Vettel, however, chose to ignore those signals, so he stayed to the left of Webber, keeping his top speed (slipstreaming) advantage. Then, apparently, he misjudged his proximity to Webber, as his small corrections — although he would appear to have had enough space to keep going straight on the inside — appear to result in him inching closer to Webber. Webber, on the other hand, doesn’t appear to push even more to the left after the initial move.

From that, I’d say they’re both somewhat responsible for the outcome. The team does have a point in suggesting that Webber may have just appreciated Vettel was going faster and, thus, could have decided to yield his position. However, naturally, that’s not the only possibility. Vettel may as well have appreciated Webber was defending his position into that corner and could, therefore, have decided to back off once and try again at the next opportunity. I would consider it to be an incomplete analysis of the situation if the option of Webber moving over was the only one that was mentioned.

My personal call (with the benefit of hindsight, mind you) would be that Vettel should have backed off there. Whether or not the team claims Webber could have known (or should have been told, which may easily have led to subsequent accusations of team orders) Vettel was faster and yielded is irrelevant. What was important was that in that moment, Vettel had clear signals to expect his team-mate not to let him overtake. He didn’t not have a choice but to pursue his intentions of overtaking him into that corner right then. He chose to risk it and it backfired.

Under such circumstances, I would be delighted to see a bit more self-reflection and criticism from a top driver there. However, as hardly any other driver seems to be able or willing to deliver that, I haven’t been expecting it since a pretty long time now.

• Fer no.65 said on 30th May 2010, 20:55

i disagree about stewards investigating this incidents, because if anything they are all racing incidents.

But i agree about Vettel choosing that line anyway even if Webber had already decided to go on the inside. It’s a common thing to do, if someone is faster than you, you stay on the inside. It’s the other job to get you round the outside.

But somehow Vettel still decided to go on the inside, where it’s very dirty and there’s less room for mistakes.

Webber had no need to turn right and make more room. Had he done that, he’d have effectively let Sebastian through.

I blame Sebastian. It was his fault. The move was badly started, just when he chose that inside line. He completed it by turning right (or correcting the car as he was on the dirty side) and touching Webber who was clearly going straight ahead.

You could see Sebastian was visibly frustrated after Barcelona, Monaco and yesterday’s qualifing. Maybe he was getting too frustrated about Webber beating him once again?. Who knows. But i think he overcooked it all by himself.

10. Sri said on 30th May 2010, 18:49

@ Jhonnie Siggie
    “Sri… You are obviously a Button fan so just say you want your man to win. The ambiguity of the Mclaren pit wall instructions complicated things so we won’t know for sure if Jenson would have had the shot he had if they were simply instructed to go flat out.”

Well, if i’m rooting for someone, it is for Michael. I’ve been posting here for about 3 odd years and most of the guys who’ve been posting here for sometime know as much. Now i also root for Webber, quite sad really what happened in this race. Nothing better than seeing a talented and determined driver conducting his business.

About Button, i just resent that people are readily willing to write him off, even though he has constantly fared better than his team-mate through 2009 and so far during this year… I said as much that we don’t know for sure what happened and that Whitmarsh should be fired for being as incompetent as he is (read my written word mate and not in between the lines). Oh, just so you know mate, i’m not a Button fan, but i do believe that he could drive the current spec car better than Hamilton (which is a thought concurred by several others in the paddock), which he has proved over a fair few races now and with consistency. Again, just so you know, i’m a big fan of team Willy and Ferrari and have massive respect for Adrian Newey.

My advice to you is to perhaps raise a query than instigating/ accusing, as people wouldn’t treat what you say on merit. Perhaps you don’t care… is it?

• Jhonnie Siggie said on 30th May 2010, 19:10

Maybe I was wrong to publicly declare your Button “fanhood” :). How about we agree that whoever finishes the 2010 season ahead (between BUT & HAM) be declared the better of the 2. I say that BUT will never win the WDC while in the same team as HAM and I know you disagree based on your earlier comments. I will write a note to myself that I will apologize to Sri on this forum if BUT finishes ahead of HAM in 2010. I’m putting my money where my mouth is…

Oh and I think the Webber story is great. If he can beat Vettel in 2010 they should make a movie about it down under. I’m rooting for that outcome.

11. Martin said on 30th May 2010, 19:13

Vettel saying that webber should have given room is a fair call. However, in my opinion if that had been a car of a competitor there would be no doubt that vettel was at fault. So with that in mind why should Webber have yielded the position.

To me im also THINKING he had over shot his braking point. To me it sounded like webber was only just letting off the throttle as vettel turns into him.

Call me a biased Aussie, but if that had been Mark behind i would be surprised if he made the same type of move and didnt run shotgun to vettel. But Webber strikes me as that type of guy and i wonder if his loyalty to teams has resulted in some of the bad drives which he has had.

But with how close those guys were running and i assume they were getting some tow (obviously excluding mark. Vettel mustve been in a tough position, but i would guess he was more concerned with taking first as opposed to Hamilton being behind.

• Vettel had plenty of room on the left… and the next turn was a left turn… the guy can’t overtake without creating a dangerous situation… he tried the same move on Lewis which he mentioned during the BBC Forum, fortunately he didnt take out the McLaren… and then Lewis took the position back from him…

12. James_mc said on 30th May 2010, 19:25

The more I think about the supposed favouritism towards Vettel by the senior members of Red Bull, the more I am reminded of (not that I have a memory of it!), Denny Hulme’s title win against Jack Brabham, in a Brabham!

13. Mohamed Sakr said on 30th May 2010, 19:30

What does this mean!!??? It’s CLEAR favoritism towards Vettel. If Webber had to save fuel on this lap, they had to LET VETTEL BEHIND HIM!! To save him from the McLarens! And if vettel knows that he’s now faster than webber, way start moving onto him sooooo early?? This discussion and debate could go on forever guys..

14. DaveW said on 30th May 2010, 19:47

I voted Vettel guilty as charged. But there was no excuse for Webber to take his teammate to the paint at 200mph when he was obviously going to get by or get position for the next corner. Webber’s habit is to drive extra “wide” and this time it ends in tears for him and the team. Webber doesn’t have to play by Marquis of Queensbury rules for anyone, but when the man writing your checks owns the other car, you put away the brass knuckles.

• webber apologised after the hamilton accident in melbourne… he has respect for other drivers… vettel seems like a spoiled brat who needs some learning to do on and off the track… only lucky to have a quick car but the guy isn’t a racer if he’s trying to overtake and then take out the guy who’s saving fuel… button did the job giving more space to lewis and then backed off when he saw lewis on the charge… that’s a gentleman’s club, and if you’re not a member, you wont have friends in f1