Ferrari promise Valencia upgrade after poor race (Turkish GP team-by-team)

Poor qualifying left Alonso mired in the midfield

Poor qualifying left Alonso mired in the midfield

Ferrari have promised a significant upgrade package for the European Grand Prix after a dismal showing in their 800th Grand Prix.

What has happened to the team that started the year with a one-two?

Felipe Massa Fernando Alonso
Qualifying position 8 12
Qualifying time comparison (Q2) 1’27.200 (-0.412) 1’27.612
Race position 7 8
Average race lap 1’32.487 (-0.171) 1’32.658
Laps 58/58 58/58
Pit stops 1 1

You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Open lap times interactive chart in new window

Felipe Massa

Couldn’t make any further progress on race day, gaining one position thanks to Sebastian Vettel’s retirement. He declared his frustration afterwards:

It was a very boring race for me, from start to finish, but it was also very difficult. I was always stuck behind Kubica and the two Mercedes, who were running at a similar pace to me. Very often I managed to get close, but I never had a real chance of overtaking Robert. I knew that, starting from eighth, it would be tough and so it proved.
Felipe Massa

Compare Felipe Massa’s form against his team mate in 2010

Fernando Alonso

Admitted he couldn’t have done better after being dumped out of qualifying in Q2. In a closely-fought session Alonso was slower than his team mate by four tenths of a second.

He started 12th and was sill there at the end of lap one, but his pit stop got him ahead of Kamui Kobayashi and Adrian Sutil.

Spent 36 laps battling Vitaly Petrov, finally getting alongside and banging wheels with the Renault driver to take eighth behind Massa.

At the end, I attacked Petrov and I hope the two points this brought me could turn out to be useful come the end of the year: I am sorry he got a puncture that stopped him finishing in the points, because he drove a good race. Despite everything, we are still in a good position to fight for the title. However, now is the time to react.
Fernando Alonso

Photographs of the damage to his wheel afterwards showed Alonso had been fortunate to make it to the end of the race.

Compare Fernando Alonso’s form against his team mate in 2010

57 comments on Ferrari promise Valencia upgrade after poor race (Turkish GP team-by-team)

1. schooner said on 31st May 2010, 23:26

I’d have to say that I’m surprised (although not particularly upset), with Ferrari’s upper midfield pace. It appears to me, 7 races into the season, that they’re really gonna have to pull a big ‘ol rabbit out of their development hat to have a chance at either championship this season. I could be proven wrong, but I’m thinking that unless there is a dramatic upward turn in results over the next few races, they may well turn their full attention to next year’s machine. They’ve got NOTHING for Red Bull and McLaren at the moment, and I don’t see them catching up. This year.

2. rob said on 31st May 2010, 23:45

McLaren will dominate @ Canada, thanks to their f-duct and those long straights. Hopefully Ferrari’s update does the trick.

• John H said on 1st June 2010, 1:35

Plus the pointy front end the McLaren has.

I thought Ferrari had great top speed recently (with their ‘Jimmy’ device) but that seemed to have gone at Turkey… any ideas why?

3. FD said on 1st June 2010, 3:14

JSC is right, Ferrari abandoned last year’s development so incredibly early and only won a race thanks to kimi’s prowess at spa. Mclaren on the other hand kept resources on last year’s car and produced a genuine race winner.
    Skip to 2010 and the mclaren seems to have considerably more pace than their historical nemesis. Who would of thought that midway last year?
    Perhaps dominicalli should be sacked for the development direction he took and the money wasted in sacking raikkonen early. Just got a gut feeling that Kimi would of taken his upturn in form last year into this season. Kimi-Alonso pairing would have been awesome!!!

• Renell said on 1st June 2010, 4:01

but you have to remember last year, Massa was the tragic hero, so close yet so far in 2008, and the Alonso-Ferrari love affair was like not-so well hidden. Kimi had to make way because he was the one easier to move.

But yeah, Ferrari’s sudden demotion to the “second tier” is suprising. Though I must say they’ve been very Jekyll and Hyde this season I won’t be surprised if they do well in Canada

4. splinter said on 1st June 2010, 5:20

If this upgrade doesn’t work I really doubt Ferrari has a fighting change to be the champions. A few more poor races and all their attention will be set on the 2011 car.

5. Jean said on 1st June 2010, 9:25

Massa has always shone at this track , so him being slightly ahead of Alonso may not do too much for his future at this point. Petrov looks to be a geniune star of the future.

6. AndyC said on 1st June 2010, 11:55

Beat Alonso in qualifying for the first time since Bahrain – a badly-needed result. ??????????

What about Monaco? Not Massa’s fault Alonso felt the need to crash in free practice….

It is now 3-4 in qualifying duels.

7. Paige said on 1st June 2010, 19:33

Massa did what he needed to do this weekend. Yes, he’s very good in Turkey, but they also ran the tire compounds- soft and hard- that have given him problems this year. We could see him much more on Alonso’s pace as the year goes, which will provide for some interesting theater especially since Alonso is coming under such fire for mistakes.

8. Toncho said on 2nd June 2010, 21:51

The were off pace in Barcelona and Turkey and on the pace in Monaco. Seems like they got the desing upside-down.
    They are too far away and not only have to catch RBR but also MCL…

9. Igac said on 3rd June 2010, 9:23

Massa is not near god driver as is Alonso that s a fact, but i don t uderstand ferrari, i seems that they are doing nothing to prove themselfs. I fell sorry for Kimmi, because a thought that he is a problem, but now I see that not the case.