Near-perfect score for John Dobson in Predictions Championship round seven

John Dobson correctly named the top five finishers

John Dobson correctly named the top five finishers

The Red Bull crash worked out very nicely for John Dobson. He won round seven of the F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship after predicting the top five finishers exactly.

He only missed out on two points for predicting the pole sitter correctly.

The runner-up prize this week goes to Costa who predicted four of the top five plus the pole sitter.

John wins a Lotus DVD boxset while Costa collects a painting of race winner Lewis Hamilton. John’s prediction has also propelled him into the top ten in the championship standings.

Mirroring what happened in the drivers’ championship last weekend, a two-way tie at the top has been broken, with Arpi_ taking the overall lead.

Our championship leader has 81 points with 600 left to win in the remaining races.

More than 40% of players will have been cursing Sebastian Vettel’s crash – having predicted him to win the race.

See below for the standings in full and find more statistics on the Predictions Championship here:

The prizes

This year we’re giving away a pair of prizes every race weekend.

On top of that at the end of the year the top 12 finishers all get prizes – and whoever scores the highest overall will be going to the 2011 British Grand Prix. Here are the prizes in full:

Grand prize: Two grandstands tickets to the 2011 British Grand Prix

The person who scores the most points in the 2010 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship will win grandstand tickets to the 2011 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

This is the first time we’ve offered F1 race tickets as a prize at F1 Fanatic and I hope you all agree it’s a fitting reward for the F1 expert who can best predict who will be on top in 2010.

The grand prize winner will receive tickets to all three days of the 2011 British Grand Prix with reserved grandstand seating for the race.

Second place prize: An F1 painting of your choice

The second place finisher in the championship will win an F1 painting by Rob Ijbema.

You get to choose which F1 driver, present or past, will feature in the painting. Or you can pick one of the other motor racing paintings on Rob’s site Car-a-day.

autocourse2009_104

Runners-up prizes: Autocourse 2010-2011

The ten players who finish in third to 12th positions in the championship will win a copy of the 2010-2011 edition of Autocourse.

The highly respected journal of Formula 1 and other major international four-wheeled racing series is published at the end of every season.

This year the publication marks its 60th anniversary edition.

NB. 2009 edition cover used for illustration

Race winners prize: The Lotus Story DVD Box Set

Duke Video are supplying the prize for the player who gets the highest score in each round.

With the Lotus name returning to F1 in 2010 what better prize than a DVD box set showing the history of this great team. This four-disc set “The Lotus Story” chronicles Lotus’s participation in F1 from the company’s beginning in 1948 up to its F1 withdrawal in 1994.

Duke are also offering a special promotion exclusive to all F1 Fanatic readers – whenever you order from them you can get 15% off using the promotional code F1Fanatic at the checkout.

Race runners-up prize: F1 race winner print

The second place finisher in each race will win a 40x35cm print of the race winner

This prize is supplied by Motorsport in Print.

[motorracingleague results=4]

46 comments on Near-perfect score for John Dobson in Predictions Championship round seven

1. Ned Flanders said on 1st June 2010, 15:28

I’m consistent… consistently mediocre. I’ve scored between 3 and 7 points in each race which puts me 359th. I need to find a way to cheat the system!… I really want those Lotus DVD’s

• Macca said on 2nd June 2010, 4:44

Think how shattered I am. My prediction was Webber – Vettel – Hamilton – Button – Shumacher. I had a perfect score until lap 40. Stupid Vettel.

2. Mark Hitchcock said on 1st June 2010, 15:29

I had Webber, Vettel and Hamilton as my top three so it was looking good until Seb’s move!

• phoros said on 1st June 2010, 15:58

The same here! Plus MSC at P4. And when they did it, my firdt thought was “Oh no! My predictions!…”

• claudioff said on 1st June 2010, 16:30

same here too:
      Web-Vet-Ham-But-Alo :(

• Mike "the bike" Schumacher said on 1st June 2010, 17:49

I got pole right and I had the top 4 Web, Vet, Ham, But until that german fool wrecked it on me :(

• Flying Wombat said on 1st June 2010, 19:50

I feel you pain. My predictions were Web, Vet, Mas, But, Schuey. And I had Web on pole.

I was on the verge of a hatful of points and a personal best of 3 drivers in the right position. Then Seb had a brain-fade. Hope he’s happy Grrrr.

• PatrickL said on 2nd June 2010, 9:41

Yeah, it’s sad that one position change can completely ruin a whole prediction. In a way that doesn’t feel right.

Maybe a different way of scoring the predictions can lessen this effect?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd June 2010, 9:54

I’m open to suggestions but the scoring system will remain the same until the end of the current competition – i.e., can’t change it until next year.

3. JUGNU said on 1st June 2010, 15:37

Sometime i see in prediction tables that some people predict Senna or Chandok for pole. Unbelievable. I have also seen lotus drivers, kobyashi..etc predicted for win by some. No hope guys. Best bet are Red bull and Mclaren drivers for top positions. My priceless advice.

4. steph said on 1st June 2010, 15:58

I’m pretty smug that I’m 236th. I seriously am that’s how terrible I’ve been. My aim now is not to sink any lower.

There’s a massive disadvantage to this close season-predictions are far too hard :P I may try to bribe Bernie, he probably knows all the results before they happen anyway…

• George said on 1st June 2010, 19:09

Being tied with Steph makes my run seem less terrible, only 3 points for this race though :(.

5. Tango said on 1st June 2010, 16:09

Seb has cost me dearly… with retrospect, betting on Alonso doing well seems foolish…

6. Steezy said on 1st June 2010, 16:34

Well it worked. I predicted a Red Bull one-two and they cocked it up in the worst way imaginable. You can talk about Seb Vettel all you want, I’m the real reason Red Bull cocked it up. The RB6 is no match for me

7. matt90 said on 1st June 2010, 16:34

I’m doing so badly, I think I’m going to abandon development to give me the best possible advantage for next years championship.

8. irishlad (@irishlad) said on 1st June 2010, 16:52

curse you seb , well thats who im blaming anyway, still joint 54th so the lead is in sight (with a binoculars) :D

9. charles fox said on 1st June 2010, 16:55

I’m a little sad, my mclaren fabboyism hasn’t really translated, and then the one time i have a problem with voting, wouldn’t let me do it Saturday morning(like 1am) so nil points :( boo

10. Calum said on 1st June 2010, 18:20

Yes, the rise continues as calum gp race team soars into the top 1000!! Sucjna shame I lost 9 points last time by using wrong name, the goal remains to finish 2′nd one day to get a painting :)

11. joe said on 1st June 2010, 18:21

This championship makes watching the races difficault.
    I predict redbulls to win, but I like the english drivers at mclaren so when the redbull’s collided I was lost!

12. Calum said on 1st June 2010, 18:23

Yes, the rise continues as calum gp race team soars into the top 1000!! Such a shame I lost 9 points last time by using wrong name, the goal remains to finish 2′nd one day to get a painting :)

ps scrolling to comments on an iPod takes ages :P

13. Sumedh said on 1st June 2010, 18:38

I have been putting Vettel on pole and win for the last 3 races hoping that he will get it right atleast once.

Should I do the same at Canada. Any suggestions?

• Ned Flanders said on 1st June 2010, 19:17

I’ve been doing the same even through his run of bad form, because I know that the one race I don’t pick him for pole/ victory, he will win! But I think Hamilton could be a better bet for Montreal, the track should suit the McLarens more

• sumedh said on 1st June 2010, 19:31

I think the sandbagging done by Red Bull and Ferrari in Friday practice sessions misleads us.

I put both Ferraris in the top 5 assuming they were sandbagging!! And look what happened!!!

• Icthyes said on 1st June 2010, 23:23

This was one of the few races where I didn’t tip Hamilton for the win – damn!

14. Guilherme Teixeira said on 1st June 2010, 19:09

Picked Vet-Web-Ham for podium…

I never had such emotion swing such as last sunday:

1st) Anxious for Vettel to overtake Webber, then one second later I was;
    2nd) Happy because my predictions were coming true, then three seconds later;
    3rd) I wanted to kick my television to the ground so ****** I was at the crash.

If I die from a heart attack watching a F1 race, it is going to be your fault, Keith =P

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st June 2010, 19:22

Perhaps it’s time I put a disclaimer on here somewhere…

15. Damon said on 1st June 2010, 19:24

YEAH!!! I made another leap forward!!!
    Already on the 28th place!!!
    My consistency is fantastic!!
    I am the highest ranked player who has not scored in double digits in any of the races!
    My points: 9, 9, 2, 7, 7, 9, 9

The next person yet to score in double digits is almost 40 positions behind me! (66th, F1withMySon)
    Consistency for the win, amigos :)

• sumedh said on 1st June 2010, 19:32

Cool stuff dude!!

I am gonna copy you from now on ;-)

• Damon said on 1st June 2010, 19:48

The funny thing is that I predicted Vettel to win the race, but thanks to his accident and falling out of the top-5, I have actually scored more points than I would have if he had won.
        That’s because it put two other drivers in the exact positions I have predicted them to finish.

• Tango said on 3rd June 2010, 9:10

My only consistency is never having zero, and never having double digits…But I’m Way way way behind you here my friend…

• F1withMySon said on 2nd June 2010, 0:40

Keep up the good work Damon. Let’s hope we break into double-digits soon.