F1 Fanatic round-up: 6/6/2010

F1 fans in Britain don’t forget to watch “Hammond meets Moss” on BBC 4 at 9pm, with Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond interviewing Sir Stirling Moss.

Here’s today’s round-up:

Links

Richard Hammond meets fellow crash survivor Stirling (Daily Mirror)

“I told him that when I was recovering I felt like having a T-shirt printed that said ‘I’m fine thanks’ on the front and on the back ‘I’m still poorly’. Then I asked what he’d have had printed on his T-shirt after his coma. There was a long pause. And Stirling, not a man prone to emotional outbursts, looked me dead in the eye and said, ‘It would have said: ‘I’m lost’.’”

Barrichello Monaco crash – spectators’ video (Youtube)

New angle on Barrichello’s crash in Monaco.

Comment of the day

Is F1 really a ‘world’ championship? Ned Flanders had this to say:

Looking at that map you could argue a more approriate name for the ??world championship? is the Eurasian championship, or the Northern hemisphere, the distribution of races is seriously imbalanced. Most concerningly of all to me is that Africa remains unrepresented. I could well see a South African GP within a few years though- assuming they carry the momentum of the World Cup into the future.

Out of curiosity I?ve just checked Wikipedia to see how the distribution of WRC and Moto GP events compare to F1. In WRC, there have only been two events per season outside of Europe and Asia in 2009 and 2010. However, at least the Europeans races are spread around the continent a bit more; there are plenty of rallies in Scandinavia and Eastern and Southern Europe.

Moto GP is no better either. All but 3 races are held in Europe and Asia, and there are no races in South America or South Africa. Worst of all, there are 3 countries which get more than one event- Spain, incredibly, has 4.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Paradoxos!

On this day in F1

Jim Clark made his first Grand Prix start on this day 50 years ago.

He got the offer to drive for Lotus when Colin Chapman found himself without the services of John Surtees due to a clashing motorbike race.

Clark qualified his Climax-powered car in 11th place for the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort. Impressively, he was dicing for fourth with Graham Hill’s BRM when his gearbox seized after 43 laps.

Just two years later he was runner-up to Hill in the championship – before claiming his first world title in 1963.

66 comments on F1 Fanatic round-up: 6/6/2010

1 2 3
  1. Sush Meerkat said on 6th June 2010, 10:14

Wow, that Williams has perfect weight distribution, unlike Alonso’s Ferrari which tipped itself backwards when the crane lifted it.

• I’m not sure if thats a good thing though. Rear bias seems to be the optimum this year. Mercedes suffered no end because of front bias, I’d love to see the Redbull on a crane.

• Scalextric said on 6th June 2010, 17:37

And this would vary with fuel load. And lift point placement.

• US_Peter said on 6th June 2010, 18:05

…and which wheels have been busted off in the crash. If it’s not a complete car you can’t really fairly judge the weight distribution.

2. Havergal said on 6th June 2010, 10:18

Rubens said he threw out the steering wheel because he wanted to get out the car quickly, but he hardly bolted out once he’d disposed of it. I still think his throwing it out was anger and as much as I love him, it was quite petulant! We certainly didn’t get that fantastic ‘clunk’ as the HRT car picked it up on the official replays.

• Sush Meerkat said on 6th June 2010, 10:35

I like Karun’s attitude to running over his steering wheel, he stated it was under his car and then it got stuck to Bruno’s chassis.

SO ITS BEEN FULLY HISPANIA’D!

• GQsm said on 6th June 2010, 13:37

Yes he clearly threw it out in a tantrum.
      The excuse was to cover his bad behaviour especially as it could have caused another Massa type accident if flicked into the air by one car into the path of another.

I was very disappointed with him. Even if it wasn’t dangerous the steering wheels are very expensive and he probably caused his team unnecessary work and expense depending on whether they have to make or modify the steering wheels in house.

I liked the video, shows how slowly they really go sometimes under the safety car.

• sato113 said on 6th June 2010, 17:03

ha, how on earth does throwing your steering wheel out on to the track get you out of the car quicker?!

• US_Peter said on 6th June 2010, 18:06

I noticed that too! It was really interesting actually being able to hear the car crash. Somehow it makes it a little more terrifying when you can hear all that carbon fiber going *crunch* *crunch* on the barriers.

3. Macca said on 6th June 2010, 10:39

I was watching the Moto GP quali last night and relised that Ducati have also had to remove the barcode logo from the side of there bikes like Ferrari had to with there cars.

Just something I found interesting.

• Mike said on 6th June 2010, 12:09

This whole barcode thing annoys me, If they have removed the Barcode that is indicative of guilt for having Tobacco sponsorship.

Question:
      If I am murdering a person, I will get in trouble. But I have , but am not currently breaking the law by murdering someone, Do I get in trouble?

• plushpile said on 6th June 2010, 12:37

Neither of them ‘had’ to do it, but after Ferrari changed their livery Ducati felt obliged to as well.

4. S Hughes said on 6th June 2010, 10:45

Good comment by Ned Flanders. I know from seeing the comments on Lewis Hamilton’s FaceBook page how many of his fans are from Africa, and it is also a shame that there are not more races in South America. The whole world is interested in F1, so the drivers and races should be representative of that. I think that the issue of money is the main factor why not.

5. Lucas.M said on 6th June 2010, 10:52

Ned Flanders, is American wrestling a World Championship? Everyone says, “He is the WWE Champion of the world” when the USA are the only country to do wrestling.

• Macca said on 6th June 2010, 11:02

They also call MBL finesl the world series and the NFL winners champions of the world.

• Macca said on 6th June 2010, 11:03

I should have also made it clearer that I do agree with Ned’s comments, it should be further spread across the globe.

• Joey-Poey said on 6th June 2010, 18:11

Actually we just say they won the Superbowl. I don’t know of anyone here who calls the winners “world champions.”

Also, The World Series is a name dubbed over a century ago, so it’s a leftover from another era. No one honestly believes it means the series includes teams from the entire world and it’s out of the question to rename it by now.

F1′s “World Championship” though, IS considered indicative of a championship actually extending across the globe. IMO there is a slight difference in the intent which is what makes F1′s title worth standing up to it’s name.

• hartry said on 7th June 2010, 1:18

Surely it means that the Championship is open to all nationalities? Whether the events cover all four corners of the globe or not is another matter. Quite different to the ‘World Series’. The World Cup of Football this year takes place in Africa, that doesn’t limit its eligibility of being a championship for the whole world. OK FIFA try to spread it around, but for example Australia have competed before, as have New Zealand, who do again this year, when were the World Cup Finals last held in Australasia?

• slr said on 6th June 2010, 11:24

@ Lucas.M

Wrestling takes place all over the world, and the WWE do shows all around the world as well.

• SoLiD said on 6th June 2010, 11:27

Well to their defence, they travel all over the world to do shows :)

It’s also a world championship involving all nationalities.
      Spreading it all over the world even more, will give many extra costs.
      Most things are centered around Europe and then you will see we have a great sporting history, including many great tracks. So why spend millions going everywhere when that isn’t always a good thing.

6. Ned Flanders said on 6th June 2010, 11:06

That steering wheel made quite a noise when Chandok hit it, it must’ve been pretty substantial. I think most of us (including Chandok himself) saw the funny side of the incident, but if it had of hit a driver/ marshal then it could’ve been nasty

7. Lol at the steering wheel

8. Ned Flanders said on 6th June 2010, 11:12

That Stirling Moss interview excerpt above should be a collectors item… he didn’t use the word crumpet! Or perhaps he used it later in the sentence: ‘I’m lost…. but the crumpet helped me pull through!’

Did anyone on here follow F1 back in the 1950′s? If so, was ‘crumpet’ the ‘for sure’ of that era, or was it just a Stirling thing?!

• W154 said on 6th June 2010, 12:17

Crumpet was a term used by the male species of humans to describe , in general, the female species of humans no doubt in part due to the soft, tasty, holey nature of the……

• leon said on 6th June 2010, 19:53

OK W154….thanks for that but Too Much Information ! lol ! But you’re right, and crumpet was followed by ‘Bird’, then ‘Dolly Bird’, then ‘Sqeeze’, …and so on.. Bloody hell ! I’m getting old !

9. McLaren2010 said on 6th June 2010, 11:15

With the HRT picking up the steering wheel of the Williams, is that classed as their first official update??? LOL

10. matt88 said on 6th June 2010, 11:17

Funny to hear a man swearing in Italian at about 1:00 in the video. I can’t understand who’s angry with, however it doesn’t seem to be Barrichello.

11. Fabian N said on 6th June 2010, 11:53

very efficient marshals at monaco

• They where fantastically quick. The majority of the debris was gone before two laps were gone. Best marshalls in the world at their job at least. Still reckon Silverstone marshalls are the best on a normal track.

• Søren Kaae said on 7th June 2010, 9:17

They really are a lot faster than at many normal tracks. I think some of these guys should go to the next WTCC race @ Marakech, where 12 out of 13 laps were run under safety car because of 2 crashes…

12. I know its competing with the Moss interview and I’ve probably done more than my fair share of plugging already this week. But the Sidecar TT race yesterday was a classic and had thrilling finish, well worth checking out at 9pm tonight on ITV4.

13. John H said on 6th June 2010, 12:38

The most mature driver on the grid throws his steering wheel on the racing line. Stupid.

14. matt90 said on 6th June 2010, 12:51

I really can’t believe that Rubens didn’t get at least a reprimand for throwing the wheel onto the racing line.

15. I found some fan shot footage of the Conway crash, you can really see how shocked the fans are after seeing it infront of them.

• Joey-Poey said on 6th June 2010, 18:15

Having been watching the 500 for nearly 20 years now, it was one of the worst crashes I’ve ever seen happen in front of my eyes at Indy. Absolutely terrifying.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 6th June 2010, 23:15

Wow, you were there? Please tell us more!

• Joey-Poey said on 7th June 2010, 5:01

I’m sorry, poor wording on my part. I meant in front of my eyes as in live on TV, instead of recorded footage of old.

I SHOULD have been by now seeing as how I’ve been a race fan my whole life and live all of 2 hours from the circuit :C. It hasn’t been in the cards yet.

1 2 3