Jenson Button was fastest in the first practice session for the Canadian Grand Prix.
Four Mercedes-powered cars occupied the first four places with Michael Schumacher second ahead of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.
The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve proved very low on grip as it welcomed F1 cars for the first time in two years – Karun Chandhok described it as “the greasiest track I’ve ever driven on.”
That meant very few cars went out to begin with, though gradually many of the drivers who were learning the track for the first time made their first, tentative steps onto the slippery track.
Although several drivers skidded off the track no-one made it as far as a barrier. Lucas di Grassi was the only driver to fail to set a time, stopping on his fourth lap.
With Timo Glock the slowest of the runners it was a poor session for Virgin.
The two McLarens occupied the top of the times sheets for much of the session before Schumacher split them with a late effort 0.15s off Button’s best.
As we have often seen in Friday practice sessions, the Red Bulls and the Ferraris did not seem to be chasing fastest times. Sebastian Vettel moved up to fifth towards the end of the session, with Mark Webber down in 14th.
Rubens Barrichello ended his session being pushed towards the Williams garage with an apparent technical problem.
|5||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’18.549||0.422||27|
|8||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’19.097||0.970||25|
|11||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’19.373||1.246||12|
|14||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’19.609||1.482||26|
|16||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’20.320||2.193||27|
|17||22||Pedro de la Rosa||Sauber-Ferrari||1’20.584||2.457||21|
|18||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’20.823||2.696||28|
|24||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||4|
2010 Canadian Grand Prix
- Start Shots: Canadian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Canadian Grand Prix
- Canadian Grand Prix was best race since Brazil 2008, F1 Fanatic readers say
- Kubica contact cost me fifth – Sutil
- “Can’t afford to just take points” – Hamilton
- Schumacher “closed the door too much”
- Alonso had fastest pit stop in Canada
- Alonso expects improvements at Ferrari
- 2010 Canadian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Hamilton wins despite more pit stop problems (McLaren race review)