Sebastian Vettel set the fastest time around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in the second practice session.
But the big story of practice was how most drivers struggled with the super-soft tyres, many of them complaining about severe graining on the option rubber.
Several drivers abandoned their final runs on super soft tyres with high fuel loads, switching back to the medium compound rubber.
Lewis Hamilton told his team on the radio he was ‘about to crash the car’ before coming into the pits and switching tyres.
Hamilton headed the times early on the session before being displaced by Nico Rosberg.
Some drivers were able to improve their times on the super-soft rubber, including Vettel, who set the fastest time of the session with them.
Later on Fernando Alonso slotted into second place, also using the super-soft tyres, less than a tenth of a second off Vettel’s time.
Jarno Trulli missed much of the session due to electrical problems on his Lotus. Lucas di Grassi managed to get on track having failed to set a time in first practice. He wound up slowest, the Virgins lagging behind the HRTs again.
As more rubber goes down on the track over the course of the week the graining problem is likely to become less severe. But it will tax the teams as they prepare their cars overnight for tomorrow’s final practice and qualifying session.
|1||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’16.877||32|
|4||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’17.273||0.396||33|
|6||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’17.415||0.538||28|
|10||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’17.903||1.026||35|
|15||22||Pedro de la Rosa||Sauber-Ferrari||1’18.658||1.781||34|
|17||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’19.168||2.291||32|
|18||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’19.274||2.397||41|
|24||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1’21.577||4.7||30|
2010 Canadian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Canadian Grand Prix
- Canadian Grand Prix was best race since Brazil 2008, F1 Fanatic readers say
- Kubica contact cost me fifth – Sutil
- “Can’t afford to just take points” – Hamilton
- Schumacher “closed the door too much”
- Alonso had fastest pit stop in Canada
- Alonso expects improvements at Ferrari
- 2010 Canadian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Hamilton wins despite more pit stop problems (McLaren race review)
- Alonso blames traffic for losing first and second places (Ferrari race review)
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others