Rate the race: Canada

What did you think of the Canadian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2010 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (7%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (37%)
  • 10 (26%)

Total Voters: 3,312

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2010 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Canadian Grand Prix articles

176 comments on Rate the race: Canada

1. MtlRacer said on 13th June 2010, 19:04

Anyone who rated Turkey a 10/10 must be rating this 11 or 12!

2. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 13th June 2010, 19:04

How annoying

I think I was painfully close to getting a clean sweep in the f1 predictions competition. Awesome race though!

3. Lee Sharp said on 13th June 2010, 19:08

I will repost what Red Bull put on their twitter feed…..

“If you’ve got friends who still think overtaking is all about the cars and not about the circuit, make them watch Montreal over and over…”

• Patrickl said on 13th June 2010, 20:55

Yeah, the people at Red Bull aren’t very bright …

The overtaking happened because there was an element of randomness due to the different tyre strategies.

Put the cars all on the same tyres. Drive them round this track and then watch how much they overtake.

• I tend to agree with Patrick. There is no doubting that the race was exciting, it was, but it was exciting because Red Bull choose a different tyre strategy.

If Red Bull had of gone with the softs in qualifying then the top ten excluding Kubica would have pitted within one or two laps of each other everytime and the race lead would have come down to who can do the fastest pit stops.

As for most of the passing it was mostly back markers doing the passing, as per usual. As for the passes on Webber and Schumacher they only happened because their tyres were shot and the guys behind were lapping 2 to 3 seconds faster per lap. So yeah it’s passing, but it was more of a admission from Webber and Schumacher that they didn’t have the speed, therefore why hold everyone up potentially causing a crash, rather than an epic battle between different drivers over several laps cumulating with a brilliant pass to take the lead. Personally if there is going to be passing I want it to be both drivers on the absolute limit pushing each other so hard to make the pass, rather than “my tyres are shot, so cruise pass”, pass.

So unlike Red Bull Spy (the twitter dude) I don’t really think it has to do with the track layout, although it is a very nice track. I think it comes down to strategy, caused by a rule (the two compound tyre rule) that promotes somewhat artificial racing / lottery results.

I think F1 needs to ask itself “are we prepared to compromise the integrity the sport with rules that create artificial results, with the occasionally exciting race, or do we want to maintain the integrity of the sport with proper legit rules which may result in some boring races, but when there are exciting races, they will be genuinely classic exciting races”.

• wasiF1 said on 14th June 2010, 2:17

I do agree with Patrickl @ Pinball – roadography.com that the tyre poker did lighten up the race but I still think the tracks can be improved to provide some better racing.

4. Steve said on 13th June 2010, 19:09

easily the best race so far. great overtaking. massa for overtake of the day.

5. David BR said on 13th June 2010, 19:09

9, brilliant race. The tyre wear made it enthralling. Was Webber right to stay out so long? Or not go on softs earlier? Seemed odd. And what was Schumacher doing this race?! Not so much a mobile chicane as a mobile pinball bumper! Way out of line on Massa, double block and scrunching his nose. Alonso great race, but crucially caught snoozing twice?

And a final thing: Lewis Hamilton, tyre-master :0)

• Alexi said on 13th June 2010, 19:15

Schumacher did like the last 30 laps on soft tyres. Surely at the end his car was close to a bowling ball.

• David BR said on 13th June 2010, 19:31

Hmm, that’s generous Alexi! Seemed to conveniently career into a lot of people. Massa must be feeling fairly set upon – turned into a bright red sandwich at the start by Liuzzi and Button, bashed off track and almost directly into the pits by his former team pal and good mate Schu.

• disjunto said on 13th June 2010, 19:22

yeah, Schumacher’s move on Massa was horrible, hope he drops a few more spots because of that one.

6. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 13th June 2010, 19:10

Seriously, who votes 1 or 2!?

Gave it a 9. Uncertainty coupled with overtaking to the end.

• Lee Sharp said on 13th June 2010, 19:12

Williams fans vote 1 or 2

• Katy (@katy) said on 13th June 2010, 19:30

I bet it’s fanatical fans, dare I say it Vettel fans? I’m a Vettel fan myself and so follow a fair few on Twitter and if he doesn’t win they go mental haha.

Great race 10/10 :-D

7. mountain man said on 13th June 2010, 19:10

Fantastic…Best race so far,..I’ve no nails left to bite.

• wasiF1 said on 14th June 2010, 2:19

Me too. I think I have to let them grow in the next 13 days & get them ready for the European GP.

8. qazuhb said on 13th June 2010, 19:11

awesome. epic. wonderful. terrific.

9. Robbie said on 13th June 2010, 19:16

Just brilliant. Of course I’m biased as my favourite team got a 1-2 but there were was so much going on. How many people led the race? Even Buemi did at one point! So many battles not just for the front but the back too. I’m gutted that Massa was pretty much a ragdoll at the mercy of his surrounding drivers and appalled at Schumacher here.

Nice to see a bit of reserved respect between Alonso and Hamilton as well and of course Button and Hamilton are like best of mates.

10. on9 said on 13th June 2010, 19:21

REDBULL
    is finished.

That, is all.

• Hey, that’s a little premature.

Remember that they weren’t going into this race expecting to be at the front of the pack. I expect they will be reasonably content with the points for 4th and 5th place.

It’s not over until it’s over.

• wasiF1 said on 14th June 2010, 2:26

This track shouldn’t be favoring Red Bull I think they will be back in their form in Valencia.

11. djdaveyp said on 13th June 2010, 19:21

Absolutely frikkin awesome race! Woooooo!

12. MouseNightshirt said on 13th June 2010, 19:22

Fantastic GP. Had a short lull in the middle, but otherwise faultless. Lots of overtaking, plenty of tyre tactics and great atmosphere.

Shame it’s a year until the next one!

13. slr said on 13th June 2010, 19:25

Kudos to Bridgestone. I hope there’s a tyre war next year.

14. BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th June 2010, 19:28

Great race, how much better can it get. First a stunner in Turkey and now a heart stalling, nail biting and foot wiggling race in Canada. Not even needing a safety car or crash to do it.
    Not to mention the second exiting dry race in a row.

Gave it a 9, as 10 is reserved for a race with even more expected twists as well as drives from the back with championship twists in the final laps.

Oh and make that a Liuzzi for superior drive as well, getting back from the back in front of Sutil. Somebody fired up his engine for sure.

15. Rahim RG said on 13th June 2010, 19:30

wow….Brilliant Race….Something is really bad with the Bulls…feel sad for Force India

16. What a sizzler!
    My best race in the season by far. Lewis is a racing God!

17. STRFerrari4Ever said on 13th June 2010, 19:36

That was a terrific race very exciting. The first 30 laps were adrenaline filled and you couldn’t take your eyes off it, Buemi leading was amazing and I just enjoyed the racing and incidents that were occurring up & down the field. It wasn’t the grand stand finish some people hoped for but it was still a fantastic end with Schumi losing places to the two FI’s.

18. The Bucket Of Vindaloo (@the-bucket-of-vindaloo) said on 13th June 2010, 19:37

A thoroughly entertaining race. If I have one critisim though it has to be ‘Why did it have to be on the same weekend as the Le Mans 24hrs?!’. I was shattered after following Le Mans all day & night and that didn’t set me up well for the Canadian GP.

19. Matt G (lotus fan) said on 13th June 2010, 19:55

I voted 10 but it probably was more of a 9. Good exciting race showing this race shouldn’t be dropped. Glad to see a lotus finish in front of an astablished team, unfortunatly they havn’t had both cars finish yet.

20. Kevin said on 13th June 2010, 20:04

Great first half, got a bit dull during parts of the second half.

Was a good race, but not anywhere near 2007, 08 or 1999

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th June 2010, 7:51

Aside from Brazil ’08 I can’t think of any races in those three seasons seasons that were as good as that one. At least, not any dry ones.