Schumacher unpunished for Massa move

The Canadian Grand Prix stewards decided to take no action over the collision between Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa in the closing stages of the race.

Massa’s race engineer Rob Smedley claimed Schumacher had caused a collision by braking too early for the final chicane. Massa drew alongside the Mercedes and lost his front wing as the pair made contact.

The stewards’ report said:

After hearing the explanation of both competitors’ representatives and the drivers [we] decided that the incident requires no further action.

Massa, however, was given a 20-second time penalty for speeding in the pit lane in his subsequent pit stop.

Two other drivers received reprimands for incidents during the race.

Robert Kubica was reprimanded for weaving around Adrian Sutil at speed on his way into the pits.

And Jaime Alguersuari was reprimanded for a collision with Rubens Barrichello, which caused Barrichello to pit for a new front wing.

2010 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Canadian Grand Prix articles

89 comments on Schumacher unpunished for Massa move

1. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 14th June 2010, 0:25

Once again, I’d like to complain about the ambiguity of the “reprimand.” With no clear indication that multiple reprimands results in ANYTHING AT ALL, they really mean nothing, nada, zilch.

• SennaProstMansell said on 14th June 2010, 0:36

That is exactly what I was thinking when i read the article. Once again reprimands and for what?!

• Yes, people like yourself peter have been saying it for a while.

Say a driver was to get a reprimand every race, should he be penalized at some point?

What about a couple of reprimands for the same type of incident, in consecutive races? What if there was gap between the races?

There are many possibilities, and whilst it is good to have some discretion, it either seems that it is one extreme or another. Perhaps some clarification on any black and white limits, or perhaps a general philosophy that they are working to would be a good idea.

2. SennaProstMansell said on 14th June 2010, 0:27

Not that I really want that, but: everyone always wants racing to be like it was among Senna, Mansell etc. I kind of get the feeling that its just 20 year olds who heard that racing back then was good. The way Schumacher defended today was the way someone defended back then, when he had a ‘everyone pass me easily’ day. It was rather common that drivers were pushed on the grass or scared to be pushed into the wall if they don’t back up.

Either people want oldschool racing, or not.

• I’ve certainly watched the late 80’s early 90’s races several times, and never once did I see any of the desperate, last second, idiotic moves that Schumacher has consistantly done throughout his pathetic career, and shown in Canada again.

The vast majority of racing was clean and hard (Silverstone ’90, Mexico ’90 for instance). The rare, dirty moves were results of premeditated, carefully thought out plans.

• Randy said on 14th June 2010, 0:54

Oldschool please. F1 is not a popularity contest.

3. wasiF1 said on 14th June 2010, 2:02

We certainly saw the OLD Schumacher today who don’t give any piece of track to anybody.That’s OK until & unless you hit somebody with your car which he did for quite a lot with Massa, Liuzzi. This was the worst performance by him so far this season he was doing some good wheel to wheel racing but came out with nothing.

4. DaveW said on 14th June 2010, 3:10

It’s ironic that after the impassioned defenses of the rule of law in Formula One against Hamilton the barbarian for pulling off the track after Q3 to save a fuel sample, we see a siege of treachery in the race, with the long-knife wielded with most gusto by Michael Schumacher. How many passes did we see into turn 3 without one guy running the other straight off the road? How many times did he cut the chicane to defend his position? It’s too obvious that after seeing Schumacher, Massa, and Kubica turn the race into Ultimate Fighting with cars, people have to sniff about Hamilton and Alonso racing down pit lane, fairly and closely.

Races like this, and China, should show the legions of Schumacher fans who think he walks on water to ask how much of his success came when he had the very best car. Because history, and the present, shows that when he does not, and when surrounded by a full field of very quick guys, and when he has a teammate who is not an official footstool, he don’t look so sharp at all.

I have to raise a toast to Sutil, showing some major attachments, and putting it to the old man on the last lap, carbon-fiber flying, and getting the spot. That was the only just end to Schmacher’s rampage today.

• “I have to raise a toast to Sutil, showing some major attachments, and putting it to the old man on the last lap, carbon-fiber flying, and getting the spot. ”

So… it is ok for Sutil but not for Schumacher?

• Dianna said on 14th June 2010, 21:56

To answer DaveW – Michael had the very best car because HE made that car,designed and engineered from scratch with the Ferrari engineers,and that took a few years.It is so easy to forget that Ferrari were out in the cold before the Schumacher years.

• It’s also easy to forget Ferrari effectively bought the championship winning Benetton team, poaching most of their top staff.

They also had the largest budget (until Toyota turned up) so really they were just massively underperforming before Brawn whipped them into shape.

5. Brutus said on 14th June 2010, 4:59

It was great wheel to wheel racing with tyre wars to boot which is what everyone asked for. So why does everyone want stewards to start throwing penalties and reprimands around. Schumacher drove hard and aggressive Hamilton and Alonso battling for position side by side out the pits, backmarkers making a difference to the overtaking moves of the leaders…isn’t that part of the spectacle that people paid to watch…..If you want good “clean” racing watch re-runs of the Bahrain procession.

• daykind said on 19th June 2010, 18:08

I believe that despite a lot of “incidental” driving, that it part of what made Canada one of the best races this season.

6. IMHO, Brundle sounded like a man who had an axe to grind today

7. Defending is one thing, driving people off the road is another…

Kubica. He was alongside when Schuie pushed him off (much like he did to Alonso at Silverstone a few years ago). Out of order when the other car is alongside (as Webber will agree). The move or we crash mentality is just wrong no matter how you paint it.
    * Penalty

Liuzzi. I don’t have a problem in this instance – he stayed alongside but there was room for Liuzzi. The fact that he slid into the side of Schuie was just a racing incident. I’m sure he didn’t intend it but it happened.
    * No Penalty

Massa. Bad driving from One-Move-Michael although I have to say Massa was a tiny bit naive. Michael is king of the swerves and the move really wasn’t on even if he’d stayed alongside, so a bit of self preservation and getting a better exit would have been the smart thing to do. Still, two moves on the straight (especially moving in the braking zone) is frowned upon for other drivers
    * Penalty.

I would add though that I think the infractions were marginal – if he’d left a little more room, there wouldn’t have been a problem and he probably still wouldn’t have lost the places either. The were certainly not the blatent moves of his Red days.

8. glue said on 14th June 2010, 8:52

his tyres really were gone..Massa was able to keep up with him easily in that one lap that he went around on with a broken front wing

9. PJA said on 14th June 2010, 9:49

I think the steward’s decisions regarding Schumacher and Kubica were right, but I can’t remember the Alguersuari and Barrichello incident.

One thing that I was a bit surprised about was that cutting the final chicane whilst defending a position didn’t cause the driver to yield position. Hulkenberg did it when racing with a Force India, Schumacher did it when defending against Luizzi and although I don’t think any footage was transmitted the BBC commentators said that from their where they were they saw Alonso also cut the chicane when defending against Hamilton.

10. Steph90 (@steph90) said on 14th June 2010, 12:14

Schumacher – bad rep but gets the position. Schumacher wins. It went in his favour and I doubt it’ll matter to him what people thought of it.

I have to say I’m appalled though. For me, things have now gone too far the other way. There have been 3 incidents this year (that I have counted) when a driver turns in on someone and it is ok. Twice with Vettel and now this. There was a wall there, what more could Massa do?

It’s alright saying we wanted wheel-to-wheel racing but a move that dangerous is, I;m sorry, completely unacceptable. I want exciting, clsoe racing but these are the best drivers in the world and they should know how to do it instead of punting someone off.

No favouritism just a plain bad decision.

• “what more could masa do”

Well, he could realize that shumacher had just awful tyres, and would hence be braking earlier than him. Schu covered the inside, then went wide to take the corner. He left masa enough room, he did not punt him into the wall, nor did he chop him off.

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 14th June 2010, 13:16

I don’t get the brake testing him excuse that’s been going around as for me that wasn’t the issue it was that Massa nearly ended up in the wall. I’ll have to watch a replay and I’m all for defenmding the position (correct me if I’m wrong) but it seemed far too aggressive and Massa ending up nearly in the wall avoiding him. If I am wrong I’ll happily take all of that back though it’s just what I thought I saw at the time and I was on the live blog so I dopn’t always take everything in as much :P

• Haha, no worries steph, we can’t all agree all the time otherwise there would not be much to discuss. I to, will take it back if i am wrong, although at this stage we agree to disagree – plus it was massa so we all know your passion there :)

11. Horacio said on 14th June 2010, 12:59

I would like to know what would happen if Algersuari or Petrov put Alonso or Schumacher on the wall and later cuts a chicane while fighting for 9th place.
    Schumacher’s race was plainly ridiculous.

12. Phil said on 14th June 2010, 13:14

Scummy got what he deserved out of that race – nothing. As for the Massa incident, he moved left, and then moved left again, and I think it should have been penalised. Then again, maybe the stewards thought Massa deserved nothing better, after driving into Liuzzi about four times in the first couple of corners.

• David A said on 14th June 2010, 13:19

No. Liuzzi started the first corner incident by diving into a gap that simply wasn’t there, having been beaten handsomely off the start line. Massa finished it.

• Phil said on 14th June 2010, 13:29

No. There was enough of a gap that any of them would have dived into it. Then Massa drove like he was on the dodgems.

• David A said on 14th June 2010, 13:51

Liuzzi hit Massa as he was alongside Button. The Force India should have yielded the position rather than dive in and cause the contact.

• Horacio said on 14th June 2010, 14:12

After being hit by Liuzzi and before being sent to the wall by Schumacher, Massa was consistently among the fastest drivers on the track, going from last to 10th.

13. DGR-F1 said on 14th June 2010, 13:20

What? So everyone who tangles with Old Schuey gets a penalty? Am I reading this correctly? :-)

14. Dr. Mouse said on 15th June 2010, 15:51

OK here’s my 2p.

Firstly, none of the individual incidents by Schumacher deserved any action. Any one taken individually, IMHO, was just a racing incident. Saying that, there were 3 such incidents through the race, each *just* not deserving of a reprimand, and I think that qualifies for a reprimand. It was consistently over-aggressive driving which caused dangerous situations to arise.

Secondly, to all those who justify his actions later by saying “his tyres were shot”… that is no justification. If, as has been suggested, he was out of new tyres, and none of the old ones were any better, then he was driving an unsafe car and should have retired. The fact that he stayed out and endangered other racers was perfectly in character for Schui. He doesn’t give a damn about what happens to anyone else on the track, and is the least sportsman-like driver I have ever seen.

• Dianna said on 15th June 2010, 19:45

I don’t think he did himself any favours by staying out,he should have retired….but that is not his way.