A mixed race for the Toro Rosso duo.
Buemi led for a lap and passed Michael Schumacher. But Alguersuari, who led his team mate at the start, clashed with Rubens Barrichello and finished out of the points.
|Sebastien Buemi||Jaime Alguersuari|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’16.928 (-0.101)||1’17.029|
|Average race lap||1’22.296 (-0.119)||1’22.415|
Both Toro Rosso drivers were new to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and Buemi edged Alguersuari in qualifying by a tenth of a second – the difference between 15th and 16th place.
Incredibly, there were three crashes on the first lap in Canada but none of them involved Buemi.
Having started on medium tyres Buemi stayed out until all the cars in front of him had pitted, taking the lead for a single lap – the first time for a Toro Rosso since Sebastien Bourdais at Fuji two years ago.
Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton caught him but Buemi’s careful defence at L’Epingle kept Alonso at bay and allowed Hamilton to pass the Ferrari.
Buemi then pitted and resumed in eighth place – a significant net gain on his starting position. He took on super-soft tyres with 20 laps to go and showed considerable maturity in how he dealt with Michael Schumacher, passing the Mercedes at the Senna hairpin.
That put him back in eighth place for four points – a decent return for a fine drive.
Alguersuari got the better start and ran tenth in front of his team mate. But he pitted early to get rid of his super-soft tyres and clashed with Rubens Barrichello.
He made little mention of the (unseen) incident in his post-race comments, which is always rather telling. The stewards handed him a reprimand.
An unusual three-stop strategy left him 12th at the end of the race.
2010 Canadian Grand Prix
- Start Shots: Canadian Grand Prix
- Technical review: Canadian Grand Prix
- Canadian Grand Prix was best race since Brazil 2008, F1 Fanatic readers say
- Kubica contact cost me fifth – Sutil
- “Can’t afford to just take points” – Hamilton
- Schumacher “closed the door too much”
- Alonso had fastest pit stop in Canada
- Alonso expects improvements at Ferrari
- 2010 Canadian Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Hamilton wins despite more pit stop problems (McLaren race review)
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others