Canadian Grand Prix was best race since Brazil 2008, F1 Fanatic readers say

The race leaders battle for position in Montreal

The race leaders battle for position in Montreal

Just how good was Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix? According to F1 Fanatic readers it was the best race since the epic championship showdown at Interlagos two years ago.

Now Bridgestone is looking into what lessons it can learn from the race to help produce more exciting Grands Prix over the rest of the season. But the power to do that doesn’t rest entirely in its hands.

The Canadian Grand Prix received an average score of 8.668 out of ten in our regular ‘rate the race’ poll answered by over 3,000 readers. Since the start of 2008, only the championship finale at that year’s Brazilian Grand Prix received a higher rating.

Three of the top four races as rated since the beginning of 2008 were all from this season:

1. 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix – 8.756
2. 2010 Canadian Grand Prix – 8.668
3. 2010 Australian Grand Prix – 8.638
4. 2010 Chinese Grand Prix – 8.326

Of course, two of those were affected by rain. But the dry Turkish Grand Prix also scored highly and is ranked ninth. This is very encouraging after the poor season opener in Bahrain.

According to Autosport, Bridgestone is now looking into whether they can bring their super-soft tyres to more races this year which they hope will promote more exciting racing without compromising safety.

But the super-soft tyres were also used at the Bahrain Grand Prix – which was as dreary a race I’ve ever seen. They can’t be the only reason why Sunday’s race was so good.

What made Canada a cracker was not just that the tyres didn’t last as long as usual, but that their performance was so unpredictable. The likes of Red Bull, who started the race on the medium tyres, expected them to out-last the super-softs at the start of the race far longer than they did.

Teams have such a wealth of data on tyre performance that, ordinarily, they can predict exactly how a compound is going to perform and degrade. Changes to the track surface at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, overnight rain on Friday and varying temperatures all played a role on turning Sunday strategy into a guessing game.

The same tyres will be used at Valencia for the European Grand Prix next weekend. Will we see as good a race there? Adrian Sutil doesn’t think so, because they believe they understand how the tyres will work there:

Montreal was a fantastic race for everybody, good for everyone to look at it. But Valencia is not such a chaotic race because the tyres work really well there. Montreal was just dominated by the tyres, which was why so much overtaking was possible. It was the situation of the whole weekend.
Adrian Sutil

This is not to say that Bridgestone shouldn’t bring softer tyres whenever it can to future races – they definitely should.

But an unpredictable track surface, and a circuit configuration that both reduced the harmful affects of turbulence on a chasing car and increased the chance of the leaders catching traffic also contributed to the great race we saw on Sunday.

2010 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Canadian Grand Prix articles

121 comments on Canadian Grand Prix was best race since Brazil 2008, F1 Fanatic readers say

1 2 3
  1. bpacman said on 18th June 2010, 10:52

I completely agree with the results of the survey – Sunday’s race was absolutely fanatastic. It had absolutely everything – a thrilling five-way battle for the win, changing strategies and tyre management issues, overtaking, crashes, controversy and a pantomine villian (no prizes for guessing who…).

• BBQ2 said on 18th June 2010, 11:24

Lol :-), ……. I did not guess Di Monte for the pantomine part ;-)

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 18th June 2010, 11:28

and a surprise leader, never thought I’d see an STR lead again :)

Also shows what a great 2010 we are having, normally get 2 or 3 classic races a year and we’ve had 4 already and the others have been great too, other than Bahrain.

A 5 way battle for the championship too, this is the best season I have ever seen since watching F1.

• miguelF! said on 18th June 2010, 13:58

what a surprise mclaren won them all

• How funny, McLaren didn’t win the 2008 Brazilian GP. FAIL

• Pete said on 18th June 2010, 15:14

True, but the sentiment is the same. All those races were victories for McLaren or McLaren drivers in one way or another. Yes, Massa won the race but Hamilton won the WDC.

• Jonathan said on 18th June 2010, 23:17

Fair point I think… Canada was a great race if you love McLaren. Not quite so great if you’re a Ferrari or Red Bull fan!

• miguelF! said on 19th June 2010, 11:39

like jonathaan said if youre team doesnt win the race is more likely to be bad since the majoraty of the f1fanatics are mclaren fans it makes sense anyway these races were fantastic even for an ferrari fan of course those races were bittersweet

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 19th June 2010, 14:04

the majoraty of the f1fanatics are mclaren fans

Again, I don’t agree. The last time we polled on that McLaren were the fourth most popular team behind BMW, Williams and Ferrari:

I think a few people are jumping to inaccurate conclusions about the loyalties of this site’s readership based purely on its domain suffix. See this comment, and others, below: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/06/18/canadian-grand-prix-was-best-race-since-brazil-2008-f1-fanatic-readers-say/comment-page-1/#comment-387503

As I said before, less than a third of this site’s readership is British. And there’s little to no indication it has any bearing on how the ‘rate the race’ polls turn out.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 19th June 2010, 14:23

@ Keith could you do those two polls again, because they’re now 2 years old now and the site has grown alot since then.

• miguelF! said on 19th June 2010, 15:37

keith i dont want to be rude but i have to say that everyone knows how to click a button and understand english but the french spanish portuguese italian may not be the readers that post more comments i enter this site some 5 6 times per day were the readers counted per ip or per visits? those 30% british may be always the same and in the refer to less people than other countrys but anyway be more active on posting?

• Mike said on 21st June 2010, 3:53

I’m a Schumacher fan, and I thought the race was good. Maybe some people only will like it if McLaren win, but most of us enjoy the race for what it is, a competition.

And I love Williams as well! Jonathan, surely you expect me to hate every race then!

@Keith, I agree with Sato’s comment on the “which team do you like” poll. I’d like to see if Ferrari have had a dent in the armour since then.

• miguelF! said on 19th June 2010, 3:30

how funny wining the champ is more worth than a single race.i have to agree that the australian gp and the canadian were fantastic

• RIS said on 18th June 2010, 14:26

I thought Massa won Brazil 2008? ;)

• miguelF! said on 19th June 2010, 16:15

i think i ve always respected f1fanatic’s web comunity i know that my english isnt the best i probalby sound arrogant but it isnt on purpose. i just try to comment as impartial as i can and always trying to transmit the other teams fan perspective i´ve defended mainly red bull and ferrari cause im a ferrari fan and because i like to defend the less fortuned i accused some readers of being toooo biased maybe that true or just me being stupid dont know why but jonathan leggard makes me mad

• macahan (@macahan) said on 18th June 2010, 17:56

I think it will be hard for any race to overthrow Brasil 08 consider that not only was it a great race on track but it was a very suspense full race where title could be won or lost and it wasn’t until 5th car finish the start finish line that it was determined for sure.

On Canada interesting fact. 65 recorded overtakes making it the 6th race with the most over takings in dry condition in the last 27 years. I know there was a lot but that was a number way above my guess or speculation. Fascinating race I thoroughly enjoyed the race even if “my” team didn’t win or even finish on the podium that I almost expected, nor did they get pole as I was hoping they would do (again). If you don’t know or guessed what team I refer to then re-read the message again ;)

• bosyber said on 19th June 2010, 16:18

Shows how much the TV footage missed. Apparently that was also the case in Bahrain, as the front was boring, but in the midfield and in the back a bit more was happening – TV helped show Bahrain off as being boring, while it could have shown how even a boring race has some nice moments.

• miguelF! said on 20th June 2010, 12:21

i went to youtube and found very interesting bahrain gp but not on the front races with double overtakes mid corner unbelieveble which i didnt even remember

• flatbeat said on 19th June 2010, 16:40

big suprise, UK website…
      1. 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix – 8.756
      2. 2010 Canadian Grand Prix – 8.668
      3. 2010 Australian Grand Prix – 8.638
      4. 2010 Chinese Grand Prix – 8.326

all rounds where Uk drivers have won, i dont think the statistics are very useful at all for global perspective of this season.

lewis obviously didnt win the race in 2008 he won the championship with that race. his buddy let him pass on the final corner
      INCOMING FLAME!!!
      *hides*

• David A said on 19th June 2010, 17:11

But I seem to remember the Belgian Grand Prix, won by Kimi Raikkinen, for my favourite team ranking around 6th, despite one J. Button and another guy who might have been called L. Hamilton crashing on the first lap. This is also one of two races that Ferrari have won since 2008.

To quote BasCB regarding Red Bull:

“Well Red Bull have been dominant on pace, so they just cruising to the win or double win might be nice viewing for us fanatics, it can hardly be called exciting.
        So when McLaren won the races where they outsmarted/outlasted/outlucked Red Bull in difficult and changing conditions are destined to be more exciting and better races.”

It’s frustrating for me that Mclaren drivers keep seeming to win these wet or close races, but that’s just how things have gone. Don’t try to label this as “flaming” you.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 19th June 2010, 23:29

flatbeat – that point has been made in several other places in the comments already, had a look at some of the other replies.

2. ivz said on 18th June 2010, 10:52

Has the tyre supplier been decided for next year yet?

• BBQ2 said on 18th June 2010, 11:30

Not yet, but all indications lead to Pirelli, as Michelin has already given up due to time frame and for the fact there will not be a competitive environment (single supplier deal)

• leon said on 18th June 2010, 15:20

If thats true about Pirelli/Michelin I think it’s a great pity. I have fond memories of racing Minis on Cinturato’s ( just for fun, in those now far off days ) but not to have the considerable nous of Michelin back in F1 is a great loss as far as I’m concerned.

But then again, until quite recently Bridgestone were seen as a bit second best for F1 by a lot of people, and yet I think their recent performances ( acting within the parameters set by FIA/FoTA ) has been first class. Sorry now, to see them go.

• miguelF! said on 19th June 2010, 3:35

pirelli arent going to be as competitive as the bridgestone this year combining all the regulation changes and the pirellis inexperience 2011 may be what we were expecting for 2010 (2010 isnt over and it is getting exciting but you know what i mean)

3. Shimks said on 18th June 2010, 10:53

What does everyone think about Blue Flags? Should the FIA get rid of them?

• Rob Gallagher said on 18th June 2010, 10:59

I think that the FIA should get rid of them. However what happens if a rookie or say a driver in a car with a Ferrari engine took out a McLaren in a championship deciding race while he was trying to overtake, and it was not the overtaking car’s fault that the crash happend.
      I think there’s just too much controvesy that could occur if blue flags were abbandoned.

• wasiF1 said on 18th June 2010, 11:03

I think that don’t need to take the blue flags away due to safety issue, & also what Rob Gallagher said is right.

• bosyber said on 18th June 2010, 13:02

I think they should not get rid of them, but they could be a bit more restrained in showing them.

I read (on this site?) a quote from Sutil “the blue flags didn’t do much for me, as I was shown them for an entire lap while battling for position” more or less. Well, that is just stupidly useless, isn’t it?

• disjunto said on 18th June 2010, 13:27

blue flag should mean “don’t attempt to block the car behind from overtaking”, not “move off the track to let everyone past”

they should warn back markers to stay out of the way, but not get out of the way, if that make sense :)

4. Oli said on 18th June 2010, 10:56

Keith could you have a place on the site where there is a league table of all race average ratings????

• Pete said on 18th June 2010, 15:42

F1Fanatic readers sure like British drivers and teams. That’s not a judgement. Clearly an examination of the ratings as a whole shows that F1Fanatic readers like races with:
        1. Unexpected Outcomes
        2. On Track Drama
        3. Good Racing
        4. Good performances by British teams and drivers.

The top 10 in Keith’s link:

Brazil 2008 – Hamilton clinches WDC
        2010 Canada – Hamilton wins in McLaren 1-2
        2010 Australia – Button wins for McLaren
        2010 China – Button wins for McLaren
        2009 Brazil – Button clinches WDC, Brawn clinches Constructors Championship
        2008 Monaco – Hamilton wins for McLaren
        2008 Britain – Hamilton wins for McLaren
        2008 Italy – Vettel and Toro Rosso’s maiden win, Hamilton charges from 15th to 7th and passes Raikkonen on track
        2010 Turkey – Hamilton wins in McLaren 1-2
        2009 Australia – Button wins for Brawn GP, Brawn is for real

• HG (@hg) said on 18th June 2010, 15:56

i fail to see any pattern :)

• Pete said on 18th June 2010, 15:59

And just so you know, I’m a Button and Hamilton fan, and also a McLaren fan.

I started watching at the beginning of 2006 and at the front of pack I rooted for Ferrari over Renault (my mistake). I adopted Honda and Jenson Button as my favored drivers because of the underdog position and the potential upside.

In 2007, I was wowed by Hamilton and grew to dislike Alonso because of his diva-like behavior. I feel Ferrari had team orders instructing Massa to allow Raikkonen past for the win and WDC in Brazil. Nothing good to say about Honda here.

In 2008, Alonso earned my appreciation as he drove the hell out of what seemed to be a very bad Renault. Hamilton continued to impress, I rooted for him all year at the front the pack while hoping for Honda and Button to improve. Kubica and Vettel put in impressive efforts and made their way onto my drivers I’m fond of list.

In 2009, despair. No Honda when they had so much potential for this year after focusing on the car since the halfway point last year. In comes Brawn GP. Button is winning, and winning, and winning. Hmmm… is it just the car? Now he can’t win, must have been the car and now the pressure. Button is smooth and consistent, builds an early lead no one can overcome, and doesn’t whine like a diva when things don’t go his way. He wins and deserves WDC.

2010. I relish the battle with Button and Hamilton. My opinion, Hamilton is the better “racer” able to charge through the field as needed. Button is the better “race manager” able to make good decisions and manage the car for the long run. Hamilton whines on occassion, Button DNFs at no fault of his own and just says “things happen.” If not for that he’d likely be leading the standings. I love watching Hamilton and root for him but I admire Button and want him to win.
          Fernando went to the dark side and while I admire his and Massa’s talents, I’ve got no love for Montezemolo’s Ferrari.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 18th June 2010, 16:03

The sample only covers 2008, 2009 and 2010 to date. The first two championships were won by British drivers and teams and the third is currently led by a British driver and team.

Therefore it would be hard for the list not to include a large number of races where British drivers and teams did well.

Which is why if you look at the bottom ten races you find seven wins for British teams and five wins for British drivers.

Were F1 Fanatic readers in thrall at Jenson Button romping away with the championship lead in the first half last year? No, they were bored with a series of increasingly predictable races.

Lewis Hamilton’s 2008 Chinese Grand Prix win which put him within touching distance of the world championship? According to F1 Fanatic readers it was the second-least exciting race in the last three seasons.

I think those top ten races are probably the most exciting ones we have seen since the start of 2008 and I think the success of British drivers and teams has had little to no effect on these polls.

• Pete said on 19th June 2010, 13:09

Good and fair points Keith.

There will always be some bias based on team and driver preference. Which might make the difference between a 10 and a 9.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 19th June 2010, 14:28

very good point. If alonso had won the canadian gp in the final laps i may have even rated the race higher than I did anyway.

• damonsmedley said on 19th June 2010, 15:32

I agree with everything here – but I can not see how Canada was better than Australia. I think this year has been fantastic apart from Bahrain, but my favourite so far would have to be Melbourne.

This season has been great for providing excitement at races that had previously not held anything that remotely resembled an exciting race. Lets hope Valencia, like Turkey and China, continues this trend and provides us with another example.

I am really looking forward to Silverstone! I hope that by the end of the year there is a race that scores higher than 9.00 amongst F1Fanatics!

5. wasiF1 said on 18th June 2010, 11:00

The Canadian GP was probably one of the best race I have seen in my 10 years F1 career.I think the race was good as Keith pointed out that many factors acted against the drivers & helped the fans to enjoy the race.
    I don’t think that we will see a good race in Valencia as that track have seen hardly any overtaking in it’s two years, but I think we may see Montreal type of racing in places like Siverstone, Spa, Monza & Interlagos.

• damonsmedley said on 19th June 2010, 15:36

Valencia could be exciting though. If the year continues as it is, Valencia in fact will be exciting. Turkey and China had previously only held bland races but 2010 has proved them worthy of the time and effort in staging a race. Bring on Valencia! Let it be another great race.

6. Bertie said on 18th June 2010, 11:05

I think that the harder tyre should be designed to last half race distance and the softer only a quarter. That way we will have at least two pit stops and some may require three.

7. Whitty 123 said on 18th June 2010, 11:06

I think it’s ashame that people vote races as 1’s. When I voted the race a 9 (not 10 because if a race is better than Canada I can’t vote 11!) there was about 20 people who had voted 1’s through to just 3. I know people have their own opinions but come on. Did you not see the race!

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 18th June 2010, 11:10

Just ignore them, otherwise they’ll keep on doing it. Clearly it didn’t really affect the data

• Daffid said on 18th June 2010, 11:28

There might be a case for throwing out the aberrant data. Although I’m not always in favour of such measures, there’s a strong case in most analysis for throwing out rogue results. It seems to me if a small percentage vote 6 or more points away from the median vote, throwing out the 1 and sometimes 2 point votes would be discarding those who are either not F1 fans or just vote any race ‘their driver/team’ didn’t win down to some ridiculous score.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th June 2010, 11:49

it would only make sense to discard such results if (for example) there would be a peak at say 3 with 100 or 200 votes. Or having a vote of “0” or something over 10.
        That would change the results and in measuring is often discarded as being related to measurement errors.

• Tiomkin said on 18th June 2010, 13:07

If you are asked to rate something out of 10, then rate it out of 10. Don’t give it a 9 because some other race may be better. You are being asked to rate ONE race. The other races do not matter.

Bearing the above logic in mind ALL data is wrong because the gen-pub cannot follow simple instructions. The folk that vote 1 need to be counted as their ‘logic’ is a flawed as yours.

They gave Mr Bolt a GOLD medal (10) not a silver (9) because sometime in the future someone will be faster/better.

• David BR said on 18th June 2010, 13:12

I see what you’re saying, but I voted 9, despite thinking it was the best race since Interlagos 2008, precisely because I’ve big hopes we’ll see even better races still this year – and how am I going to reward them then?! Stupid logic, I know.

• Chalky said on 18th June 2010, 14:04

I agree with you David. I think I gave it a 9. For a 10 I’d like to see even more passing for the lead.
          But it was a great race.

• Tiomkin said on 18th June 2010, 15:11

Read what you are asked to do… ‘Mark THIS race out of 10′. You simply mark each race in isolation. Do not think of any other race. Then mark the race.

If not then First race on the calendar will always be marked low, because future races MIGHT be better. This is the reason public votes are meaningless.

I’d hate for you (and others) to judge gymnastics, no body would ever get a 10, even if they were flawless. And why can’t 2 or more races score the same?

• David BR said on 18th June 2010, 15:29

Don’t take it so seriously Tiomkin! My not giving it an extra 1 is totally outweighed by the people giving it just 1 – presumably because Hamilton won or Alonso etc. didn’t! Anyhow, you’re defying logic: you can’t give a race a mark without some parameter – which here has to be other races you’ve seen, not ‘a perfectly executed routine’, how could F1 ever be that?! (Don’t answer Max.) The best races are mixes of brilliance and chaotic imperfection.

• JerseyF1 said on 18th June 2010, 21:09

The instruction also says 10 = perfect. Great race? yes. Perfect? I don’t think it reached that description.

The other issue is how we all rank it is relative. I would argue that the average over the year should be somewhere around 5 (and on that basis a score of 8 or above would be fair for this race) but very few races rank below 5 as Keith’s graph shows. This is partly due to the fact that we are all F1 Fanatics and therefore to us an ‘average’ race is actually quite exciting and so we score an average race well over 5.

BUT

With the large sample size and the likelihood that it is the same voters most races and we each apply our own methodology consistently then, while the actual numerical value doesn’t really tell us much, the relative value of different races should still be a fair reflection of how good the race was.

• Scalextric said on 18th June 2010, 17:35

Might be that people voted ‘1’ or even ‘0’ thinking this was the best ranking, not the highest score. This would seem to mean they didn’t or couldn’t read the poll question.

Or maybe they’re just bitter Ferrari fans, mad at those awful slow cars. Get any votes from the ferrari.it domain, Keith?

8. Robert McKay said on 18th June 2010, 11:07

“What made Canada a cracker was not just that the tyres didn’t last as long as usual, but that their performance was so unpredictable.”

I think this is a big factor.

Anything that the teams struggle to predict will enhance the racing.

The teams have almost got too smart for the good of the sport and being able to simulate everything to within an inch of its life almost makes the race just one more simulation.

The more factors we can incorporate into the sport that are difficult to predict and simulate, the better, I think.

Perhaps it would be the case that even marginal tyres, over the course of a season, will eventually be understood and that element of unpredictability will fall away.

9. Macca (@macca) said on 18th June 2010, 11:09

I think this race was better than 2008 Brazil. Everyone only remebers Hamilton on the last lap, the rest of the race was quite normal.

• Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 18th June 2010, 11:13

Maybe, but that single lap made that GP one of the best of all time for me. Even today I still find it incredible

• GeeMac said on 18th June 2010, 11:18

Ned is 100% right about that. You also have to factor in the fact that it was a championship decider at the end of a long, hard, exciting, topsey turvey season. When you add all those up, it makes it one of the best races…well… ever.

• wasiF1 said on 18th June 2010, 11:29

Yeah I still remember how much bad I felt for Hamilton when he crossed the line it as he lose the Championship the same venue a year before but it took sometime to realize that he won the championship then I felt bad for Massa as he cried. F1 is cruel, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”

• Macca (@macca) said on 18th June 2010, 12:21

I just feel it’s unfair to judge Brazil a better race just because it was a championship decider.

Imagine if the Canadian race was at the end of the year and the pass Button made on Alonso was for the championship, we would be talking about it forever.

I don’t think it’s right that because Hamilton’s last lap was for the championship that the race as an individual was better.

But that’s just my view.

• Todfod said on 19th June 2010, 9:18

Well if Australia 2010 was the last race of the season it would be rated as a 10 as well. The fact that Brazil was rated highly is completely justified.

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 18th June 2010, 20:18

” Everyone only remebers Hamilton on the last lap, the rest of the race was quite normal.”

Actually, I quite enjoyed some of what went on before. Trulli going off, Nakajima forcing DC into a slightly earlier than expected retirement and Vettel’s race strategy was fascinating. I thought it was a better than average race esp with the changing conditions but sure that last lap made it special.

10. rod said on 18th June 2010, 11:16

Best race since Brazil 2008? I don’t think so.

There are just too many Britons voting here. Without Alonso’s bad luck it would have been different.

• GeeMac said on 18th June 2010, 11:20

Well it is “F1Fanatic.co.UK”… so there is always going to be a bit of a “pro-Britain” spin on things, despite the fact that Keith and the regulars on this site are the most neutral and well versed F1 nuts anywhere on the web.

• BBQ2 said on 18th June 2010, 11:42

True GM, I don’t just understand those Alonos fans who think he deserved a win in Canada. I thought he should be happy Vettel had gearbox problems, if not, he will be lavishing in 6th as Webber would have overtaken him too.

• PJA said on 18th June 2010, 11:57

So if Alonso had won it won it would have been the best race ever.

While some may have given it a higher rating due to the McLaren 1-2 some also gave it a low rating because of who won. I believe most people on this site gave an honest rating based on the quality of the race not on the result.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 18th June 2010, 12:32

I think it’s unfair to suggest that just because people are of a certain nationality they’re not capable of judging whether a race was entertaining from an objective point of view.

If you look at the full list of how races had been rated up to the Turkish Grand Prix I think you’ll find the correlation between who won and what rating was given is weak to non-existent:

• Robert McKay said on 18th June 2010, 12:34

Without Alonso’s bad luck it would still have been a brilliant race.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 18th June 2010, 18:59

Never a true-er word has been spoken!

As I’ve said on many occasions here before, the reason we have such good debate on F1F is because we are all F1 fans at heart, and we almost always manage to put our personal driver and team preferences aside to participate in a constructive debate in which we all win. I think the only reason that there is a strong British spin to the best races as voted by F1F readers is becase Britons have done well during the period in which the vote has been in operation. Nothing sinister at all…

• Adam Tate said on 19th June 2010, 7:03

And it would have been an even better one if Massa had been up there mixing it up with the front runners, it’s a shame Liuzzi and MSC kept him from getting to the front.

• tharris19 said on 18th June 2010, 14:39

Fred made his own luck.

11. sato113 (@sato113) said on 18th June 2010, 11:17

note how those top four are all Mclaren wins…

• Whitty 123 said on 18th June 2010, 11:23

Perhaps Mclaren win all the exciting races……

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th June 2010, 11:53

Well Red Bull have been dominant on pace, so they just cruising to the win or double win might be nice viewing for us fanatics, it can hardly be called exiting.
      So when McLaren won the races where they outsmarted/outlasted/outlucked Red Bull in difficult and changing conditions are destined to be more exiting and better races.
      Bahrain was just to much of a start-finish bore fest with the only exitement being it was the first race of the year and Vettel’s car giving up close to the finish.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 18th June 2010, 12:33

I seem to remember a Ferrari won at Brazil in 2008 (but I know what you mean!)

12. djdaveyp said on 18th June 2010, 11:21

I made this exact point about the tyres in the article after the race. The race in Canada proved that tyres are the problem.

It doesn’t matter how much downforce you have if you can’t use the grip it creates. This is exactly why Mark Webber, in one of the slowest cars on the grid in a straight line, overtook Jenson Button, who has the fastest car in a straight line, down a very short straight. It was simply down to Buttons tyres being completely shagged.

I agree with anybody who says they need to bring marginal tyres that don’t last as long to the race.

I would also add that they make it so the full supply of tyres they have for the weekend will only just cover them in all the sessions. This is one of the things that also dictated the race to make MS so slow at the end as he had no choice but to do it on softs as he had run out of hards.

• JerseyF1 said on 18th June 2010, 21:15

Maybe they should hold off until the first Friday practice of 2011 before announcing the new tyre supplier ;)

13. Daffid said on 18th June 2010, 11:27

So Bridgestone have realised what a lot of us said at the start of the season – that tyres that give performance bonus but need changed more often make better racing. I never bought the idea that tyres going off was always bad publicity for Bridgestone, as those who are gaining places rapidly on new tyres are also on Bridgestone.

14. Geordie Porker said on 18th June 2010, 11:56

Hmmm… Firstly I agree that it was one of the best races I’ve ever seen. Not sure whether Brazil ’08 was better or not, but I definitely enjoyed them both.

So, to the point of ‘too many Britons voting here’ – any individual fan will enjoy a race for a different reason. I won’t hide the fact that I am enjoying seeing MSC struggle. And the same partizan reason is why I never really enjoyed any of his race wins. Silly of me? Probably, but still true.

So, to those of you who think it is unreasonable that British F1 fans enjoy races more when British drivers win / do well, I suggest you move to an F1 forum hosted in the country where your favourite driver hails from!

For my part – Keith, great article (as usual). You’re right, we need more unpredictability in the races. Maybe we need to look to a smaller tyre supplier next year – one who’s never heard of Quality Assurance?! ;-)

15. Guilherme Teixeira said on 18th June 2010, 11:57

And there were people thinking on introducing two mandatory pitstops, short-cuts, reverse grids, etc…

Just show how quickly F1 leaders can jump to silly conclusions about how to ‘spice up the show’. I’ve been following F1 for 13 years now and I’ve never seen a season so unpredictable and exciting as this one. See, even the Spanish Grand Prix wasn’t thaaaat boring! When was the last time we saw three cars battling for the lead? Or the first four cars within three seconds of each other for 40 laps? For that, we must thank the refueling ban. This was the best idea the technical working group/FOTA/FIA had in ages!

About Bridgestone, I don’t think bringing super-soft rubber on all next races will be of much difference. The scenario we had last sunday was much more down to the slippery track rather the tyres itself.

Maybe we could have an even better race at Monza this year, with the low-downforce setup and fast-graining super-softs… anyone knows how hard Monza is on the tyres?

1 2 3