Alonso fumes after Hamilton penalty, Ferrari calls result “a scandal”

Fernando Alonso called the result of the European “unreal and unfair” after falling from third place behind the safety car to ninth at the chequered flag (before being promoted to eighth).

Meanwhile Lewis Hamilton got a drive-through penalty for overtaking the safety car yet still finished second.

Alonso said:

I think it was unreal this result and unfair as well.

We respected the rules, we don’t overtake under the yellows and we finish ninth. That is something to think about.

It completely destroyed the race. Hopefully we can move forward because after the victory of Vettel and podium for McLaren ninth place is very little points for us.

We need to apologise to the 60 to 70 thousand people who came to see this kind of race.

They gave a penalty already to Hamilton but it was too late – 30 laps to investigate one overtake.
Fernando Alonso

The stewards were also considering whether to penalise nine drivers for their speed behind the safety car, a decision which has not yet been taken.

The delay in giving a penalty to Hamilton, combined with the gap opening up behind him because of the slow Kobayashi, meant he didn’t lose a place when he took his drive-through.

But he lost a lot of time to Sebastian Vettel and was unable to challenge him for the lead at the end of the race.

Hamilton denied he overtook the safety car deliberately, saying:

I saw the safety car was pretty much alongside me, I thought I passed it so I continued.
Lewis Hamilton

However it does appear from replays that he might have backed off at first, unsure whether to overtake the safety car or not.

Alonso may suspect Hamilton backed off deliberately to prevent him from getting past the safety car as well – but if he’d had the awareness to do that, surely he’d have also made sure he stayed ahead of the safety car himself?

This controversy could have been avoided had the stewards made their decision more quickly. This is not the first time we’ve seen them take a long time to make an important call like this one.

Update: Ferrari described the race as a “scandal” in a statement:

A scandal, that’s the opinion of so many fans and employees who are all in agreement: there is no other way to describe what happened during the European Grand Prix. The way the race and the incidents during it were managed raise doubts that could see Formula 1 lose some credibility again, as it was seen around the world.

Update 2: Ferrari continue their criticism, issuing this quote from Piero Ferrari:

I am incredulous and bitter, not just for Ferrari, but for the sport as a whole, as this is not the sort of thing one expects from professionals. For a long time now, I have also followed races in championships in the United States, where the appearance of the Safety Car is a frequent occurrence, but I have never seen anything similar to what happened today at the Valencia circuit. If it raises some doubts over the actions that led to a false race, to me that would seem more than reasonable.

2010 European Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 European Grand Prix articles

352 comments on Alonso fumes after Hamilton penalty, Ferrari calls result “a scandal”

1. Obbo said on 28th June 2010, 8:06

I’m really disappointed in all you anti-MacLaren/Hamilton conspiracy theorists out there! No-one has picked up on the obvious MacLaren team orders that kept Button from pressuring Kobayashi into faster laptimes. Oviously this was intentional to keep the field (and Alonso in particular) back far enough for Hamilton to serve his penalty without losing position.
    I know from your posts that MacLaren’s pampered baby can’t really race and has only won one WC and is leading this one through team orders, other teams co-operating by letting him pass, manipulation by the FIA, and, probably, interventions by a malign supernatural power. So get with it guys! Don’t let MacLaren slip such an obvious ploy past you!

2. I know the Oz race feed is slightly different to the others (even though its the BBC feed) because of our ad breaks, own commentators etc, but I only heard two comments from Alonso about this. The initial one which alerted everyone to the problem, and then another one querying if Hamilton had served the drive through, and if so what was the result. Didn’t sound like whinging to me. Perhaps there was more to it that I didn’t hear?

And certainly the quote above which refers to ‘farcial’ is not from Alonso himself, but Ferrari. And Alonso only mentions Hamilton at the end, and if read properly seems to be more of a criticsm of the speed with which race control dealt with the issue, rather than at Hamilton himself. If you are going to take issue with what has been said like so many have here, at least make sure you are directing your ire at the right person.

3. Bluenochi said on 28th June 2010, 9:10

Well, overtaking under safety car we’ve seen before, but overtaking the safety car itself is surely a first

4. Ferhahahari said on 28th June 2010, 9:15

Whaaaaaaaaaa! Lewis beat me again! Whaaaaaaaaa

5. Bernification (@bernification) said on 28th June 2010, 9:17

Jesus, Ferrari really are crap aren’t they- they can’t take it on the chin, they have to keep whining and whinging.

Funny how neither them or Schumacher can’t win now they have no Veto?

Advice for Ferrari and Alonso- MAN-UP.

Obbo- what are you talking about?

Maybe you think McLaren should be banned for a race because Button didn’t try to pass?
    Then what is Alonsos excuse?

• Obbo said on 28th June 2010, 10:34

@Bernification: Guess you didn’t get the joke then? Reference to ‘malign supernatural intervention’ was a kinda clue!
      I was having a dig at the sort of straws the anti-Macca guys clutch at.

• Katy said on 28th June 2010, 11:39

Haha oooh it was a joke, I read it and was a bit shocked, I was going to comment but thought against it as I thought it might start an argument. Now I know it’s tongue in cheek, phew!

6. Alonso will always commented sarcastically that if Hamilton wins, it’s not a secret anymore. Alonso knows that the only person who could beat him only Hamilton, Alonso’s class racer unfortunately crybaby ….

7. Shaggy said on 28th June 2010, 10:14

I Think that Alonso has undergone a great injustice today. Hamilton not only is bad pilot of races. Charlie Whiting is a commissioner who takes part. Formula one every day is looked but like pressing Catch.

8. Eric said on 28th June 2010, 10:15

i nearly fell off my chair when i saw Lewis come back out in front of Kobayashi, in other words it cost him 12secs so what.

if the safety car had picked up Vettel when it should have it would have been a total shambles, as now Kobayashi would have been leading the charge to near the end till he had to pit.

9. Shaggy said on 28th June 2010, 10:49

Hamilton has done all this leaving unpunished. This is bad for the sport. In the end he will be the same to see F1 that to see Pressing Catch.

Malaysian GP
    5 changes of direction when Petrov tried to advance Reprimand to him by dangerous conduction.

GP China
    To cross pit-lane over the zone of security in parallel with Vettel Reprimand by dangerous conduction.

GP Canada
    3 infractions: To lower of the car in march, to push it by the track and not to arrive at the zone of verification in minimum time.
    Economic fine and reprimand
    To cross pit-lane over the zone of security in parallel with Alonso None

GP Europe
    To advance to the Safety-car. Symbolic Drive through

I´m sure that Hamilton is the new Schumacher… but only for the illegal actions, and the permissiveness of FIA.

10. MacLeod said on 28th June 2010, 10:52

Alsonso should just continue to drive, because when he is blowing up he is worthless on the track. Instead of trying to get buemi like Sutil he just drove behind him al the time. Even koboshasi went past him if he wasn’t there…

11. Gazel said on 28th June 2010, 11:37

I bet sc rules will be extended after LH rules understanding way.

Allways the same…LH takes advantage after breaking rules, and rule modificaton following.

How many times have we seen this befor? I’ve just counted 3.

12. maestrointhesky said on 28th June 2010, 12:45

It’s a shame that no one in the Ferrari team displayed any concern about Webber or Kovalainen following thier horrific accident!

13. cigamosnola said on 28th June 2010, 12:51

They are outrageous decisions made by the FIA, yesterday showed that the F-1 is no longer a sport.

I think Fernando said too little in their statements.

14. blessmusa said on 28th June 2010, 13:04

Alonso failed to beat Hamilton during Hamilton’s rookie year, and he can’t do that now. If he is a race driver of two championships, the he must know how he earned them. Talk about scandal, what about Singapore 2008?? Yesterday, Alonso was just trying to impress his fans at home but he failed and now pours all his frustration on Hamilton. That pass by KOB was awesome, I think it made everything worse. Alonso simply failed to impress at home and he had to say something to his fans. Hamilton saved his penalty and still came out 2nd whilst Alonso was having a miserable time behind that Force India.

15. PJA said on 28th June 2010, 13:41

Apart from the radio message from Alonso, which was a little hard to make out, I didn’t really know what had happened until they announced Hamilton was under investigation and showed the TV footage.

Before that I was wondering how even though before the Safety Car Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso had been pretty close on track but when they came in to the pits there was a big gap between Hamilton and Alonso.

Did the TV director not realise anything had happened until the investigation was announced?