Robert Kubica reacted quickly when the safety car was deployed to get into the pits immediately.
Unfortunately his team were waiting with the wrong tyres when he got there.
The delay cost him his chance of finishing on the podium.
|Robert Kubica||Vitaly Petrov|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q3)||1’38.137 (-0.386)||1’38.523|
|Average race lap||1’46.258 (-0.371)||1’46.629|
Looked on course for a good qualifying position after being second in final practice. Took sixth ahead of Jenson Button and moved up a place at the expense of Mark Webber at the start.
Kubica was the first driver to make it into the pits when the safety car came out. But the team were waiting with Petrov’s tyres, having been expecting to bring him in on that lap instead, and the delay switching them around cost Kubica places to Button and Rubens Barrichello. He wasn’t able to get them back afterwards:
We got lucky when the Safety Car came out: I was already braking for the last corner when the message came on the steering wheel, so I decided to head straight to the pits.
Unfortunately, though, we didn’t manage to take maximum advantage of the opportunity: I was the first car into the pits but the third car to leave. If everything had gone smoothly, we could have finished on the podium this afternoon, but unfortunately we didn’t manage to do so.
Was closer to Kubica in qualifying then he’d been at any other race in 2010. But he made a poor start from tenth, getting too much wheel spin and falling to 15th.
Petrov, like his team mate, got a five second penalty for going to quickly when the safety car came out. That dropped him from 11th to 14th.
2010 European Grand Prix
- The physics of Webber’s Valencia crash
- Technical review: European Grand Prix
- Sauber “thrilled” by Kobayashi’s passes
- 2010 European Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Alonso retracts Valencia criticism
- FIA must learn from Valencia shambles
- Best finish of 2010 (Williams race review)
- Di Grassi shines (Virgin race review)
- Double finish at home (HRT race review)
- Buemi slips to ninth (STR race review)