The team raced with special logos commemorating their 500th start but suffered one of their worst races of the year.
|Jarno Trulli||Heikki Kovalainen|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’40.658 (-0.224)||1’40.882|
|Average race lap||1’55.135 (+6.424)||1’48.711|
Took ‘new team pole’ yet again but was 1.3 seconds off 17th-placed Kamui Kobayashi on the long circuit.
After the race he claimed he’d been hit front behind, causing contact with another car which broke his front wing. The video replays show Trulli cutting the first corner and running into Pedro de la Rosa.
It’s possible someone hit him further around the lapb unseen by the cameras, which provoked his gearbox problem. After a long stop in the pits he returned to the track but finished last.
Ran 18th and was defending his position from Mark Webber when the Red Bull driver hit him. The impact tore Kovalainen’s rear wing off and sent him into the barrier, removing his front wing.
He was able to drive his T127 back to the pits where he retired:
First of all it’s good news that both of us are OK. Mark had a hardcore flight, and it could have ended up much worse, so it’s good we’re both fine.
It’s such a shame the race ended that early – I was going really well, pulling away from the guys behind by about half a second a lap, and with Mark we were racing for position so I was always going to defend.
I didn’t do anything wrong and he just ran into me. I think he missed his braking point and he ran into me at a very bad angle – his front tyre hit my right rear and he took off. I had to make a mandatory visit to the medical centre, and shook hands with Mark there, but I’m absolutely fine, and glad Mark is too.
2010 European Grand Prix
- The physics of Webber’s Valencia crash
- Technical review: European Grand Prix
- Sauber “thrilled” by Kobayashi’s passes
- 2010 European Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Alonso retracts Valencia criticism
- FIA must learn from Valencia shambles
- Best finish of 2010 (Williams race review)
- Di Grassi shines (Virgin race review)
- Double finish at home (HRT race review)
- Buemi slips to ninth (STR race review)