Red Bull star designer Adrian Newey has been given one of the team’s 2009 cars.
He was presented with the RB5 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed today. He drove the car up the hill today and will drive it again tomorrow.
He joined Red Bull in 2006. The RB5 scored the team’s first F1 win at Shanghai last year and Sebastian Vettel’s win at Valencia was the team’s tenth victory.
I’m overcome actually. The guys have obviously put a tremendous amount of effort into preparing the car for me. You can see it – the paint and the lines are absolutely perfect, the work that’s gone into doing the helmet and everything else is incredible. Also, the fact that the guys have given up a weekend to come down here and run it for me is fantastic.
I was nervous before my first run, as I’d never driven a car with a hand clutch before and had never left-foot braked expect in a go-kart – but it’s really fantastic to drive. A slight fright was that I wasn’t prepared for how long first gear is, so as I was pulling out of the paddock it was pushing me on a lot. I was saying to myself ‘hand clutch, hand clutch’, but the automatic reaction is to go for the left foot! We went up the hill on wet tyres, so it was a gentle drive. It’s just so great to be in the car and it’s such a great noise from the inside.
The plan now is to club together with some other guys I know who are lucky enough to have cars and hire a circuit, preferably a modern one with a bit of run off where I can enjoy driving the car without worrying about having a spin in front of a crowd!
Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Favourite cars and highlights from Goodwood
- McLaren celebrate 50 years at Goodwood Festival
- Stars and their cars at the Goodwood Festival
- 2013 Goodwood Festival Sunday picture gallery
- Brabham BT52: Piquet back in his 1983 title-winner
- 2013 Goodwood Festival Saturday picture gallery
- 2013 Goodwood Festival Friday picture gallery
- Top 40 pictures from the 2012 Goodwood Festival
- Great Group C cars at the Goodwood Festival
- F1 stars and their cars at the Goodwood Festival