Sakon Yamamoto to replace Bruno Senna at HRT at Silverstone

Sakon Yamamoto, HRT, Istanbul, 2010

HRT reserve driver Sakon Yamamoto will take the place of Bruno Senna in both of tomorrow’s practice sessions for the British Grand Prix.

The team refused to confirm claims that Yamamoto will drive throughout the race weekend but other sources are reporting team principal Colin Kolles has stated Senna will not drive for the team at all at Silverstone.

Further details are expected tomorrow.

Yamamoto started 14 F1 races for Super Aguri and Spyker in 2006 and 2007. He last drove for HRT in the first practice session of the European Grand Prix two weeks ago.

Read more: Sakon Yamamoto biography

Image (C) Motioncompany

136 comments on Sakon Yamamoto to replace Bruno Senna at HRT at Silverstone

1. mitchibob said on 9th July 2010, 0:37

Oh well…. HRT obviously want to relate better to the ‘hormone replacement therapy’ that their name as a TLA most certainly relates to for most people in the English speaking world. Rather than Yamamoto, perhaps they should’ve got someone who is on HRT? Their cars seem to be stable as your average HRT recipient.

I don’t think Senna has particularly shone in the same way as his uncle perhaps, but he’s certainly seemed the better driver so far in that team. HRT still seem to be a bit of a joke outfit. I wonder if they’d just have been better off doing a USF1 and not turning up at all, but I guess they had already bought a couple of chassis.

Personally, I’d prefer to see Senna driving a Lotus alongside Heikki Kovalainen next year. Trulli needs to get back to his charities and vineyards. He’s lost interest…. spent too long developing a Toyota that never worked. But Heikki and Bruno together?… Could be a nice combination.

BTW… looking at the new photo at the bottom of the page, you lost weight Keith? And a few years in age?

2. Charles Carroll said on 9th July 2010, 1:13

My guess is that Cypher will sign him and shortly after the photo op, go out of business.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th July 2010, 1:18

I cannot for the life of me explain this one. Sure, Yakamoto no doubt brings gazillions to the team – but wouldn’t common sense dictate that if this is a one-race thing, then you replace the slower guy? I guess it really does speak to deeper problems within the team.

• slr said on 9th July 2010, 9:19

Well in the end, results matter the most. And it has been Chandhok delivering the results.

4. Gman said on 9th July 2010, 1:23

My first though was “Are? You? Serious?” How do you ditch one of the most famous names in world motorsports for…..a glorified D.J.?

It must be a move for money, otherwise there is no logical reasoning behind it. If they were replacing with a real promising young prospect, I would say “Maybe…” But SY isn’t the brightest talent in motor racing.

A few days back I saw some posts on another blog that said HRT was having money problems and was for sale. That may be closer to reality than we think.

5. Pablo said on 9th July 2010, 1:40

Nothing appears at Bruno´s Twitter. It sucks, Senna it so much better than Chandock….and a turtle is faster than yamamoto!!! I lost all the respect for the HRT

6. Pablo said on 9th July 2010, 1:41

PD: Is the same horrible thing that´s bmw do in after Hockenheim 06, drop a great driver for a mid-grid one. Hope that this notices is only a rumour. (Please, excuse me for my horrible writted english)

• Tom L. said on 9th July 2010, 10:24

Are you referring to dropping Villeneuve for Kubica? In that instance I think BMW were completely justified, considering their respective performances! Do you really think Villeneuve would have achieved what Kubica did over his time with the team?

7. Pablo said on 9th July 2010, 1:48

This is what i send to the team (and the email address is info@hispaniaf1team.com

“Es verdad que Bruno no corre? Estan locos? Realmente si es asi les acabo de perder todo el respeto y acaban de perder un fan. Dejar de lado a un gran piloto (El mas rapido del equipo) por una tortuga no es de personas inteligentes ni digno de un equipo de formula uno (Tal vez de BMW, y asi les fue). By the way, see what people think about your choice (De paso, miren lo que opina la gente sobre su eleccion. Si por lo menos hubieran elegido aun grande (Jacques Villeneuve, por ejemplo) o al mismo Klien, pero esto que hicieron fue desastroso…Montezemolo esta equivocado, ustedes no son de GP2….no son dignos ni de correr en el troncomovil de Pedro Picapiedra (Si es que esta noticia es cierta)

Totalmente desilucionado (y sin los mejores deseos para el futuro del equipo si la noticia es cierta).

Un ex fan del equipo”

8. Hare (@hare) said on 9th July 2010, 2:52

8th July 2010
    The day when “HRT Fanbase” became an oxymoron in most peoples hearts.

• Pablo said on 9th July 2010, 3:07

Hare, what means “oxymoron”? (I´m Ferrari fan, but, i use to “torcer” por Ayrton, and obviusly for Bruno too

• Hare (@hare) said on 9th July 2010, 3:21

Conjoining contradictory terms, like ‘deafening silence’.

Essentially, I’m supposing that HRT, have killed the passion of a lot of it’s fans (and F1 fans interest in HRT in general), by dropping Senna.

9. wasiF1 said on 9th July 2010, 3:26

Not sure why this have happen but I don’t think that this is a good idea of having a person with not F1 experience for two years in a car which is the slowest on the grid.
    I hope that this is not personal & Senna is back for the German GP.

10. Tomcat173 said on 9th July 2010, 3:29

As poor as Yamamoto’s reputation might be, perhaps the team are simply trying to get a speed comparison relative to their regular drivers. The guy has as much F1 experience as both HRT drivers put together.

That said, its still a silly decision. Surely destabilizing the team and breaking Senna’s confidence will do more damage later on.

• Charles Carroll said on 9th July 2010, 4:56

I agree with you on this. I saw the pictures of Bruno and Karun at Silverstone and also posing with Karun’s Cosworth engine at their factory, and it was smiles all around (they’re over at http://en.espnf1.com/).

It kind of seems like this bomb was dropped without any notice for Bruno.

• TMFOX said on 9th July 2010, 9:11

Also I imagine the PR department would rather Senna was there rather than Yamamoto for the Cosworth shot.

11. Snobeck said on 9th July 2010, 6:12

Amateur hour at HRT. Terrible decision, but I see it playing out in Senna’s favor with other teams opening doors by the silly season… at the latest.

• fordsrule said on 9th July 2010, 6:22

I hope he gets a better drive for next season, were do you think he could go? I was thinking maybe FI, as Sutil could go to Renault and I read that Mallya was looking at Senna for 2009 :)

12. ming mong said on 9th July 2010, 6:38

Senna is just a name. Teams have already realised that he does not have huge amounts talent because if he did don’t you think a top team would have already signed him up before now? He is not 20 anymore…

• fordsrule said on 9th July 2010, 9:43

You do realize he only started racing again a couple of years ago? he wasnt racing when he was 20…

13. ming mong said on 9th July 2010, 6:42

What does the drive have to do with anything? We know the car is bogus however he has not delivered. Do you think Ayrton would have broken even with Chandok in his first season? No chance.

14. Rahim RG said on 9th July 2010, 6:49

Chandhok has proved himself……keep it going Karun

15. Jean said on 9th July 2010, 7:17

But to say things as they really are , Senna has not exactly set the F1 world alight , has he ?

• Christian said on 9th July 2010, 7:35

What chance has he had? He is a rookie in the slowest car on the grid…

• Tom L. said on 9th July 2010, 10:26

As true as that is, I certainly expected him to beat Chandhok on a more regular and consistent basis than what he has done, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

• Christian said on 9th July 2010, 14:47

But the car is just so unreliable. It’s just not fair to really judge things. Senna does appear to have more pace, but has suffered a little more with reliability than Karun.

Senna ability is really the issue. It’s clearly a financial decision.