The defining moment of McLaren’s weekend came on Friday evening when they abandoned their plans to run their new exhaust-driven diffuser.
After the race team principal Martin Whitmarsh admitted he’d have “ripped someone’s arm off” to ensure their second and fourth-placed finishes on a weekend when Red Bull and Ferrari were quicker.
|Jenson Button||Lewis Hamilton|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’31.699 (+0.581)||1’31.118|
|Average race lap||1’38.081 (+0.397)||1’37.684|
Abandoning the new exhausts, but keeping the new front and rear wings on both cars, meant a late nights for the mechanics on Friday. Reserve driver Gary Paffett was summoned to the McLaren Technology Centre to work on a new set-up in the simulator.
Button seemed happy with the ‘old’ car in final practice but failed to progress beyond Q2 in qualifying, losing to Hamilton for the sixth Saturday in a row.
He made amends in the race, grabbing six places on the first lap and inheriting the rest through pit stops, penalties and retirements.
Hamilton was delighted with his qualifying lap which gave him fourth on the grid – ten places ahead of his team mate.
The cards fell in his favour on race day as Fernando Alonso made a slow start.
He made contact with Sebastian Vettel at the first corner, much like he did in Valencia, only this time it left Vettel with a puncture and promoted Hamilton to second.
That was where he finished, unable to do anything about Mark Webber, though he made a concerted effort to pass the Red Bull at the restart of the race.
2010 British Grand Prix
- Technical review: British Grand Prix
- Liuzzi explains hard tyre struggle
- Ten F1 fans’ stories from Silverstone
- 2010 British Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Was new Silverstone a success? (Poll)
- Alonso: we’ll catch Red Bull in Germany
- Michael wants Silverstone bumps eased
- Who was the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)
- Both cars in points (Williams race review)
- Kobayashi takes sixth (Sauber race review)
Image (C) www.mclaren.com
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others