Rate the race: British Grand Prix

Posted on | Author Keith Collantine

What did you think of the British Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2010 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (5%)
  • 6 (9%)
  • 7 (25%)
  • 8 (31%)
  • 9 (13%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 2,342

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2010 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 British Grand Prix articles

173 comments on “Rate the race: British Grand Prix”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3
  1. 9/10 – Justice for Webber. Exciting race, and more tissues for Alonso.

1. miguelF1O (@)
      11th July 2010, 18:19

i was thinking on writing the same when i saw the replay of vettel cutting his tyre on hamiltons car i had my closure moment and i wanted to see vettel smile shredded to pieces im sensing some alonso hating here

1. I don’t make it a secret that I don’t like Alonso.

2. Karma is a wonderful thing!!

and I feel sorry for Alonso. Maybe Spain will win now.

3. As reported on Twitter … great job! You report the highlights that tell a fan what’s important to the race. Frankly, it was almost visual.

1. Thank you :-)

1. Must agree. Kudos Keith.
        You and the (mostly volunteer, I assume) team you have cultivated have managed to develop the most interesting live F1 blog.

for the poor slobs like me who have to suffer through Fox delayed broadcasts in the US this is a life saver

1. Yes, the live bloggers are volunteers and they do a terrific job. The comments come in thick and fast during the race and they stay on top of it admirably well.

We can always use more people to help run the live blogs though, so if anyone would like to please get in touch by emailling me, using Twitter or leave a comment below.

4. 8. Exciting start and got boring until the Safety Car. As a Vettel fan it was nice to see him come back through the field (yes he was lucky to get the safety car) Great to see him overtake all though next time he’s stuck behind a car this race will be forgotten and people will say he can’t overtake again.

Lewis shown he is the only one who can match the Red Bull’s. I think it will all end up between Lewis trying to beat Webber for the title. If Red Bull keep favouring Vettel too much they could end up gifting the title to Mclaren.

1. I agree after the front wing incident Webber was saying he wouldn’t have signed if he’d known they would act like that. I am a massive Vettel fan but I was embarrassed for red bull after that.

I was watching from Vale and I saw Vettel overtake Massa, but it was so exciting waiting to see who he’d overtaken on each lap.

It started as a joke saying the red bulls would take each other out but it’s not funny anymore- if they want to win they need to remember that although they arte individual drivers, they are still just part of a TEAM!!!

1. I am not a Vettel fan, and have been forced to downgrade my feeling for Red Bull and Vettel. But at least Vettel showed in those last 20 laps that he does know how to overtake – the fight with Sutil was especially great to see, with two drivers having good cars and showing good close racing.

Still do not like to see the 1-finger salute of Vettel, but well done to him for a great drive after a first corner mishap.

5. I thought the race was mildly dull before the safety car. But it was pretty good after that. So a 7 from me.

6. 8 out of 10. Really enjoyed the race, and I expected it to be a dud after qualifying.

It’s safe to say I was off the mark when I decided the new rules were a step backwards. I do miss the strategic element off the refuelling era, but there have been so many great races this season that the rule change has been vindicated

7. I’m not british, so I’ll give it a 4.

1. How intelligent, thank you for voting.

2. thats how you judge a grand prix? If everyone were like you the chinese grand prix would always be the best….

3. Rob, Welcome to Eurovision.

4. What does nationality have to do with it? The question is, was it an exciting race?

1. miguelF1O (@)
        11th July 2010, 18:23

im not british and i gave an 5 because it wasnt that good almost no fight for the win which was totally deserved i was expecting a bit more overtaking the vettel fight in the end was great and bbc driver tracker worked really nice for me

5. I’m not british, just like you aren’t. So i gave it an 8 out of 10.

Great action during the first lap. Nice moves throughout the field. I liked the fight between Alonso and Kubica. A shame Ferrari did not tell Alonso to give it back, their fault. The penalty might have been a bit harsh, but if Alonso would have served it immediately (before the SC) he would not have lost as much to fall out of the points race.
      The SC made it exciting at the front of the field and for places 7-12 again. Nice defensive driving from Sutil, the others hardly had a chance against Vettels RBR. Vettel did some pretty feisty passing, that’s something i would like to see from him more often.

And in the end the right guy won, great comment from Mr. second driver! COTD for Mark Webber.

1. I gave it a 7, but I mostly agree with your reasoning. Just that after Kubica was gone, and until SC, it was getting a bit dull (having seen it twice, I fast forwarded that part the 2nd time).

8. Got very boring in the first few laps before the Safety Car, but after that it just got great and watching Vettel get past all those cars was very exciting

9. Bore Race.
    Biased Race.
    British Track.

1. Mike Paterson
      11th July 2010, 15:09

How was that a boring race?
      How can a race be biased?

Not sure what your last comment means unless it is a weak attempt at racism – please explain.

1. Leave him – Trolling.

2. “How was that a boring race?” – It just was.
        “How can a race be biased?” – british stewards, british gp, british commentary – all favouring the british. I dont think it gets any more bias than what we saw today.

I dont know how you managed to get any hint of racism out of his comment.

1. Mike Paterson
          11th July 2010, 15:25

Hee Hee – what a load of old bollox –

So the location of the tarmac makes a race biased ?
          So the commentators of one of the countries broadcasting the race make it biased ?

I think you are possibly wrong about the stewards – as far as I am aware thay are not all British.

Your overtly anti-British statements are extremely xenophobic if not racist.

I thinkl most people here will be having a chuckle at your rather biased comments :)

2. “british stewards”

Two of the four stewards were British.

3. If you don’t want the british commentary, you can watch a whole range from German, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish to Czech, Dutch, Finnish and Hebrew. Have your pick.
          By the way, i like your idea of having the next GP in UN or EU territories, that are out of jurisdiction of any countries, only theres not enough space for a good track.

4. Soo, Spain was biased to spanish drivers then? Oh, wait. The Dutch comments I hear in my 2nd viewing were not all that different, and actually a bit more critical of Alonso, for example, than the BBC was (after agreeing that it was a very harsh penalty from both commenting teams).

3. What? racist? why? Where did the race take place today dude?

1. Mike Paterson
          11th July 2010, 15:34

So what on earth was the point of stating “British Track”

I would have thought that was entirely superfluous so guessed that you were stating it as a link to the 2 previous statements you made

1. Ok you want a reply – here goes. I think that the new format at Silverstone is not worth the investment. If this was Mosley’s idea of having a lot of passing then it all went awfully wrong! Silverstone is as dull as it used to be.

BTW F1 is international and a reference to a nationality should in no way be racist…so stop whining.

There are are goos British drivers, good British teams and there are bad British tracks. ‘nough said!

2. @sasbus

Silverstone is regarded as one of the best racks in the world and you will constantly hear drivers commenting in how much they love it. The sweeping corners in the first half are unmatched anywhere else in the world. I personally think the new section has improved the track a bit (I had been against it originally). I think it did offer more passing than the old layout and far more than many tracks on the calendar (Bahrain, Valencia, Singapore….) However passing is caused by more than just the track, The cars are the biggest problem as they are very hard to drive when close to another car which is obviously not good for passing. I would also challenge you to find a better crowd at any GP in the world. I think your comments are being taken badly as you are insinuating that the track is bad as a consequence of being British rather than singling out the particular track.

3. Hmm… If this track is so biased before British drivers… Why did the Australian win?

I think it’s a bit dumb to say it’s biased, I mean, wouldn’t every track be biased based on it’s location?

The BBC commentators are widely regarded to be some of the best F1 commentators. But you, having an internet connection can easily access other stations.

Also, I doubt the commentators have much of an effect on the outcome of the race, seeing as the driver usually aren’t listening to to it at the time, usually they are busy driving.

The comment about the stewards suggests that you are an Alonso fan, who was dealt with quite harshly, but not unfairly.
            From this I can find the motivation to accuse the race of being Biased.

If you want to talk about bias, don’t forget the discrepancy between Lotus’ and Ferrari’s expenditure. Or between Williams and RBR.

2. Maybe an answer may be found here:

and I do not watch the race on BBC or ITV. There are other good commentators around speaking other languages. Then again that depends …..

10. 7/10. Dull up until the safety car, but decent amount of overtaking and battling throughout the field in the second half of the race. Good effort by the least popular guy on this site to get 7th, but Webber did great 2 weeks after his flip.

1. Couldn’t have said it better myself. All the same thoughts crossed through my head.

11. 6/10

Saved by the safety car.

1. Charles Carroll
      12th July 2010, 2:26

I’m with you on this.

1. im in on 6 aswell

12. 9/10. I’m an Aussie.

13. Enjoyed it very much. Very happy for Webber,Lewis and Rosberg.
    Redbull has the best car but will likely not win the championship and its all because of bad management.

I’m no Alonso fan but feel the drive through was too harsh. . If only he had given back the position to Kubica right away, he would have been fourth maybe third.

1. I am afraid of the situation at RBR going Alonso 2007 this year.

Your right about Alonso, his team should have instructed him to let Kubica by.

2. I agree I don’t personally like Alonso or ferrari, but the drive through overly penalised him compared to giving up a position.

14. 5/10, Alonso’s penalty is a fraud. Vettel’s great rise from hell doesn’t equalize it.

1. Mike Paterson
      11th July 2010, 15:10

What else could be done – He broke the rules and should have ceded the place straight away. Instead he acrried on and got the same penalty given to Hamilton last time out – a drive through – seems reasonable to me.

1. Sure, same as Hamilton, you are so funny!!!!

1. ha ha ha , I’m still laughing!!!
          ha ha ha….

2. Alonso got pushed wide and had to take to the run off. He needed to let Kubica through straight away.

Interestingly enough this is what Lewis did in Spa 2008. But he got a worse penalty. But let’s not going into that hey…

1. Do tell. Refresh my memory pls? what happened?

1. I am not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic. Hamilton was forced off in a similar way by Kimi (something which I think is fine and part of racing) Hamilton then cam back on, let Kimi back past and then re overtook him. The team radioed to race control and was told that that was fine and they had done enough to avoid a penalty Hamilton managed to pass very quickly having a quicker car and nothing in the rules at the time stated that this was not allowed.(In fact he was punished for leaving the track not gaining an advantage) After the race (kimi not finishing) Hamilton was then given a points deduction after the race stewards advisor and ex-ferrari pr man, interviewed the two drivers (I add that the actual stewards did not get to interview the drivers at all!).

2. But that was, allegedly, because it was late in the race, so they had to do the assigned after-race replacement penalty to Hamilton.

I guess Alonso would have lost less with that penalty than he did now, but he would still have been out of the points, somewhere at 11 or 12.

3. Hamilton’s case is quite different.
        At Vale curve Alonso was beyond Kubica, but he gave some room. Then Kubica blocked Alonso and forced him to go outside the track.
        Alonso got some advantage from this, but it was an unclear situation.
        In the beginning the officials told him he had to give his position to Kubica (which would have been a fair penalty), but just after this communication Kubica retired. After about 15 minutes (!) then officials decided for the drive through.
        The usual luck completed the perfect day with a SC at the right time.

4. yeah but the stewards should have just told him to give the place back as soon as the incident happened. (before KUB retired)

1. Exactly. Once again, late and poor stewarding. If they had immediately instructed him to relinquish his position to Kubica that would have made the most sense.

1. Then Ferrari should not have complained against the penalty.

2. spanky the wonder monkey
          12th July 2010, 8:25

why is it down to the stewards?
          alonso knew he overtook another car whilst off the circuit, so should also know that the place needs to be given back. doesn’t & shouldn’t need team or steward intervention.

1. The team should have told him to give the position back, and Alonso himself is smart enough to figure that out. I guess after Valencia they thought: oh, well, lets see what they do, but forgot the precedent from Spa 2008 that would make leniency a bit difficult.

But with laps being around 100 seconds, taking more than 20 minutes to decide is long, perhaps too long (but I don’t know how to improve their reaction time – a brainstorm to find ways to make that happen by FOTA would be a good initiative, I guess).

2. Alonso’s penalty was all they could give him under the circumstances. He should have had the sense to give the position back straight away: Alonso‚Äôs race ruined after Kubica pass

1. All the drivers know the rules and I don’t think I heard Alonso blaming his crew for not telling him to give the place back, they all know you cannot cut a corner and gain an advantage and that you have to give the place back, the fact he didn’t is up to him.

1. after spa 2008, everyone knows that if you cut the corner and gain a place, you have to give it back straight away! then wait untill the second corner after the corner you cut to try overtake again.

Alonso didnt do that and he got a penalty! clear as day!

3. I hope you also thought that Hamiltons penalty in spa a few years ago was also a fraud….

1. didn’t everybody?

15. Happy for Webber and Button. Sad for Vettel getting into the points at all and Kubica retiring.

Quite interesting, but nothing spectacular. A 7.

1. Oh, and extremely happy for Sauber and Williams!

2. That’s quite bitter. After Red Bull’s douchy actions this weekend I was thrilled to see Webber leading after a great start, but Vettel surprisingly was the one bringing most of the exciting overtaking. Nice drama from them this weekend. :)

Also, great stuff again by Kobayashi.

1. It was great to see Kobayashi have such a clean race and place even higher than Valencia, without a risky strategy call, simply finishing on merit.

3. I am a massive Vettel fan, and I really enjoyed watching him work his way back up the field. Why (and I may be a bit naiive but I mean this genuinely) do people dislike him??? He is a natural instinctive driver and many of the cringeworthy decisions that people attribute to him are team decisions.

I was watching from Vale and I was really excited lap to see who he’d overtaken. Because the 1st and 2nd was decided from the start.

1. But he also lets it happen, profits from it, and pretends nothing has happened.

Adding to that, earlier this year, when Webber was on a roll, did you hear him honestly congratulate his team mate, or did he act childish and annoyed in press conferences when being behind him?

Maybe I am by now biased against him, underdog-Webber syndrome or something, but Webber just seems over all the more mature and dependable driver this year, even though Vettel might ultimately be a bit faster.

16. Surprised so many people seemed to have enjoyed it that much. I thought it was one of the least interesting races of the season. Some good battles in the midfield, but basically all the drivers who would have made the championship tighter by scoring good points ended up with little or nothing.

Great job by Rosberg, Barrichello and Kobayashi, good on Button for gaining so many places. Ferrari – if they had any luck it would be all bad.

Bit of a snoozer. A perhaps too harsh 5/10.

1. your right, Rosberg should have won it from Kubica and Alonso. With Massa in 4th in front of Schumi, followed by Webber, Vettel, Button and Hamilton (maybe those last 4 without points even better). That would have given the championship a real boost ;-)

2. I’m guessing you are a Kubica/Vettel fan

Even my kid (7) watched the whole race. He usually walks away after a few laps.

17. Worst stewards decision I have ever seen! Stupid 5 second penalties were thrown out at those drivers who were too fast during a safety car period in a previous race, now Fernando gets screwed over. We want to see the fast cars fight at the front, not have slower cars cause issues and make it almost impossible for someone behind to pass. We could have had three different teams up near the front today (even thorugh Mark was just too quick). If the race stewards had any brains they would have said to Alonso (straight away), let Kubica pass by the end of the next lap. Then if the same situation happened and Alonso was forced off the track, you would let it go. Kubica was holding up half the field, this is what sucks about F1’s aero, no one can pass unless you barge your way through!

1. Mike Paterson
      11th July 2010, 15:12

He was only “screwed” in the same way that Lewis was last time out.

Seems the logical penalty to me given that he could no longer be told to drop behind Kubica.

1. That’s not quite true though is it? Hamilton actually benefited from the stewards taking time make their decision.

It was harsh, but Alonso should have let Kubica past straight away, and this is what the penalty should reflect.

If on the other hand it was in response to Kubica dropping out, then I think the penalty was wrong, It isn’t Ferrari’s fault that the Renault died.

Having said that, I’m glad he didn’t get off scot free, because he did take an advantage and should have yielded the position.

2. It was up to the Ferrari pit wall to tell Alonso to give the place back – everyone knows how that works; it’s not the stewards’ job to explain to teams how to avoid penalties. Alonso’s race was ruined by his own team.

3. Seems this time round Alonso understands the penalty and can live with it.
      He must have cursed his team for not informing him to let Kubica pass and not having him serve the penalty immediately and get out before the SC situation.

I think Alonso might get into the mood he had in 2006 after midseason and have a mighty drive to be a real WDC contender again, let’s hope so.

1. Alonso should know the rules himself.

Het’s been in this situation before too (Suzuka 2005).

18. MouseNightshirt
    11th July 2010, 15:03

Sir Stirling Moss giving Lewis his trophy – how awesome was that!? Overall, I give a 7/10 – had a dip mid race, but as has been said, safety car timed to perfection.

Karma is finally dropping its payload on Alonso…

Poetic justice for Webber.

Brilliant turnaround for the British fans.

1. If Karma was involved, Alonso would have won.

Honestly when last did Alonso do anything bad?

1. Mike Paterson
        11th July 2010, 15:17

Do you wear rosso red tinted glasses per chance?

1. Try answering my question.

1. MouseNightshirt
            11th July 2010, 15:29

2003, European GP – Alonso gave Coulthard a brake test

2006 Hungarian GP – Gave Doornbos a brake test and intentionally hard braked in the race to allow Schumacher past when a red flag was out

2007 – I’ll not even open that kettle. Blackmail is a pretty serious thing though.

2008 – Singapore? And then the subsequent “I deserved that win” a season later.

And his attitude this season so far – as Brundle accurately described him, he is “a miserable little so-and-so.

Great racer, sour guy.

2. Mike Paterson
            11th July 2010, 15:39

I restate my last comment

3. Technically I agree with MouseNightshirt’s examples, but Mike- he’s spent most of his career in Blue and Yellow, racing against the red team.

2. MouseNightshirt
        11th July 2010, 15:23

I’m looking back at a career, not just Valencia.

1. Karma has already paid him back for each of those, making them invalid.

So, its been two years since he last did anything bad worth mentioning, and you and others are still going on about how evil he is.

Brundles comment is completely inaccurate by the way. Its brundle afterall, and we all know how he takes every opportunity to lash out any Alonso (because he is a lewis fanboy).

1. I don’t think Karma has finished with Alonso yet.

Mind, Karma has still got a can of whoop-ass to open on Schumacher though!

2. Ah lol, is that’s what keeping Schumacher back?

Thought he might have forgottten the handbrake, but indeed it’s probably all that Karma weighing down on him :)

3. without being rude rob i have been looking through the comments and everytime your name comes up it is followed by some rediculous comment about how amazing alonso is,or how the british are evil. sort it out man its getting boring.

4. Charles Carroll
            12th July 2010, 4:47

I don’t believe in karma, but that aside, Fernando is very talented and he has done nothing that Michael hasn’t done, or really any other champion racer for that matter.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that if given the chance, all of the current racers would do the same as Fernando has done in the past and present. Is he really any different than the other drivers? Really?

From what I can tell, he is an extremely driven and often irritable little man. That would describe all of the other racers more or less, especially those who have been or are successful. None of them are going to win nice-guy awards, nor would they want to. They want to win championships, no matter the cost.

At the end of the day, as a fan and consumer of the sport, I EXPECT nothing less out of the racers. If they didn’t care so much about winning, and do whatever it takes to win, I wouldn’t watch.

2. I think it really moved Lewis, that was nice.

Alonso will hopefully get fired up real mean to storm ahead in the next races, like he did in 2006 to clinch the WDC

19. Justice for Webber. Hamilton again MUCH quicker than Button and would have been nearly a lap clear without the SC. Alonso penalty was harsh and I think wrong, however he should have given the place back to Kubica immediately. I recall when Hamilton was penalised in Belgium a couple of years ago when raising Raikenen Alonso was very vocal in critisicing Hamilton. What goes around comes around.

1. Not that again. Hamilton gave the position back… and then attacked again.

1. Mark Hitchcock
        15th July 2010, 13:26

And Alonso didn’t even give the position back…

20. 8/10, I’m Aussie, Button made up heaps of ground and Vettel duffed it.

I’m gonna be a Vettel troller and say that with the car he has he’d have to be an absolute numbskull to not be able to overtake.

Notice how when a top car ends up at the back it either tends to be one of two results, a storming run thru the grid ala Barrichello 2000 German GP or a nothing afternoon middling around not even on your teammates pace ala Vettel before the safety car.

On a different topic, when Brundle and Legard looked at the first corner from Hamilton’s perspective could everyone else not see it or only us Aussie’s on ONEHD. I’m certain that’s happened in a few other races too.

1. obviously everyone else could see it

all we do is get their audio; nothing else

we dont see any of the pit/paddock interviews, etc.

1. Hehe I always thought they just played the audio of the interviews for everyone…. I mean why do I want to see Kubica talking about pulling out of the race when I can just hear him and still see the race.

2. yeah the BBC inserted that clip ontop of the FOM feed. nice.

3. I think the part where Vettel was off the pace before the safety car was largely due to the option tyres being way faster at that stage compared to the prime. It solidified the position of the leaders and got Button up into 4th, among things.

I’ll agree Vettel had the car that was comfortably fast enough to overtake (although the Red Bull’s advatage to overtake is hardly proportional to their speed advantage in clear air), but he still had to do it and made some pretty impressive moves, especially at a heavily defending Sutil.

I’m no fan of Vettel, especially after all the unneccesary drama of the past couple of races, but today he managed to bring most of the overtaking excitement. I’ll cheer for any driver who fights hard until the last lap like that, I don’t watch F1 for all the soap-opera politics surrounding it. :)

1. I don’t know if Mas had different tyres on but he was clearly lapping faster than Vet at that stage (one lap was 7/10s). Good on Vet for picking it up when he really needed to though

1. No Massa definitely also changed to the prime tyres after the first lap, I guess Vettel really didn’t have it together then. I can recall there was radio contact informing Vettel that his pace was good though.

2. If you look at the fastest laps, Vettel was 3 seconds a lap faster than the people he passed. So it’s no wonder that he passed the cars with such ease.

On the other hand, Alonso’s car wasn’t much slower and Alonso got nowhere. When Alonso usually IS a driver who can overtake.

Maybe Alonso was too busy throwing toys out of his pram again instead of getting the job done.

It’s sad, because he is such an amazing driver when he wants to be. He really is his worst enemy lately.

3. I want to say well said, I am a fan of Vettel and when he is out there driving that is what I went to see, I didn’t go for the politics. If I remember rightly he was 17th when the safety car came out, and finished 7th. I watched him overtake Massa from my seat in Vale and although I was sat in a sea of orange and grey I still showed my excitement everytime he came round having overtaken someone else.

Alot of Vettels bad press is team related and should not be levelled solely at him. He is still young but I believe he will be a multiple world champion of the future.

4. Well, it is difficult to make up a full lap while the top is driving in cars (almost) as fast or faster than you, I don’t think one can blame Vettel for that.

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3