Rate the race: British Grand Prix

What did you think of the British Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2010 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (5%)
  • 6 (9%)
  • 7 (25%)
  • 8 (31%)
  • 9 (13%)
  • 10 (9%)

Total Voters: 2,342

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2010 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 British Grand Prix articles

173 comments on Rate the race: British Grand Prix

1. Maciek said on 11th July 2010, 15:01

Surprised so many people seemed to have enjoyed it that much. I thought it was one of the least interesting races of the season. Some good battles in the midfield, but basically all the drivers who would have made the championship tighter by scoring good points ended up with little or nothing.

Great job by Rosberg, Barrichello and Kobayashi, good on Button for gaining so many places. Ferrari – if they had any luck it would be all bad.

Bit of a snoozer. A perhaps too harsh 5/10.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2010, 16:46

your right, Rosberg should have won it from Kubica and Alonso. With Massa in 4th in front of Schumi, followed by Webber, Vettel, Button and Hamilton (maybe those last 4 without points even better). That would have given the championship a real boost ;-)

• Patrickl said on 11th July 2010, 23:48

I’m guessing you are a Kubica/Vettel fan

Even my kid (7) watched the whole race. He usually walks away after a few laps.

2. ivz said on 11th July 2010, 15:01

Worst stewards decision I have ever seen! Stupid 5 second penalties were thrown out at those drivers who were too fast during a safety car period in a previous race, now Fernando gets screwed over. We want to see the fast cars fight at the front, not have slower cars cause issues and make it almost impossible for someone behind to pass. We could have had three different teams up near the front today (even thorugh Mark was just too quick). If the race stewards had any brains they would have said to Alonso (straight away), let Kubica pass by the end of the next lap. Then if the same situation happened and Alonso was forced off the track, you would let it go. Kubica was holding up half the field, this is what sucks about F1′s aero, no one can pass unless you barge your way through!

• Mike Paterson said on 11th July 2010, 15:12

He was only “screwed” in the same way that Lewis was last time out.

Seems the logical penalty to me given that he could no longer be told to drop behind Kubica.

• Mike said on 12th July 2010, 23:14

That’s not quite true though is it? Hamilton actually benefited from the stewards taking time make their decision.

It was harsh, but Alonso should have let Kubica past straight away, and this is what the penalty should reflect.

If on the other hand it was in response to Kubica dropping out, then I think the penalty was wrong, It isn’t Ferrari’s fault that the Renault died.

Having said that, I’m glad he didn’t get off scot free, because he did take an advantage and should have yielded the position.

• Maciek said on 11th July 2010, 15:15

It was up to the Ferrari pit wall to tell Alonso to give the place back – everyone knows how that works; it’s not the stewards’ job to explain to teams how to avoid penalties. Alonso’s race was ruined by his own team.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2010, 16:49

Seems this time round Alonso understands the penalty and can live with it.
      He must have cursed his team for not informing him to let Kubica pass and not having him serve the penalty immediately and get out before the SC situation.

I think Alonso might get into the mood he had in 2006 after midseason and have a mighty drive to be a real WDC contender again, let’s hope so.

• Patrickl said on 11th July 2010, 23:50

Alonso should know the rules himself.

Het’s been in this situation before too (Suzuka 2005).

3. MouseNightshirt said on 11th July 2010, 15:03

Sir Stirling Moss giving Lewis his trophy – how awesome was that!? Overall, I give a 7/10 – had a dip mid race, but as has been said, safety car timed to perfection.

Karma is finally dropping its payload on Alonso…

Poetic justice for Webber.

Brilliant turnaround for the British fans.

• rob said on 11th July 2010, 15:14

If Karma was involved, Alonso would have won.

Honestly when last did Alonso do anything bad?

• Mike Paterson said on 11th July 2010, 15:17

Do you wear rosso red tinted glasses per chance?

• rob said on 11th July 2010, 15:23

Try answering my question.

• MouseNightshirt said on 11th July 2010, 15:29

2003, European GP – Alonso gave Coulthard a brake test

2006 Hungarian GP – Gave Doornbos a brake test and intentionally hard braked in the race to allow Schumacher past when a red flag was out

2007 – I’ll not even open that kettle. Blackmail is a pretty serious thing though.

2008 – Singapore? And then the subsequent “I deserved that win” a season later.

And his attitude this season so far – as Brundle accurately described him, he is “a miserable little so-and-so.

Great racer, sour guy.

• Mike Paterson said on 11th July 2010, 15:39

I restate my last comment

• David A said on 11th July 2010, 15:46

Technically I agree with MouseNightshirt’s examples, but Mike- he’s spent most of his career in Blue and Yellow, racing against the red team.

• MouseNightshirt said on 11th July 2010, 15:23

I’m looking back at a career, not just Valencia.

• rob said on 11th July 2010, 15:50

Karma has already paid him back for each of those, making them invalid.

So, its been two years since he last did anything bad worth mentioning, and you and others are still going on about how evil he is.

Brundles comment is completely inaccurate by the way. Its brundle afterall, and we all know how he takes every opportunity to lash out any Alonso (because he is a lewis fanboy).

• Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 11th July 2010, 16:03

I don’t think Karma has finished with Alonso yet.

Mind, Karma has still got a can of whoop-ass to open on Schumacher though!

• Patrickl said on 11th July 2010, 23:52

Ah lol, is that’s what keeping Schumacher back?

Thought he might have forgottten the handbrake, but indeed it’s probably all that Karma weighing down on him :)

• sam said on 12th July 2010, 1:56

without being rude rob i have been looking through the comments and everytime your name comes up it is followed by some rediculous comment about how amazing alonso is,or how the british are evil. sort it out man its getting boring.

• Charles Carroll said on 12th July 2010, 4:47

I don’t believe in karma, but that aside, Fernando is very talented and he has done nothing that Michael hasn’t done, or really any other champion racer for that matter.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that if given the chance, all of the current racers would do the same as Fernando has done in the past and present. Is he really any different than the other drivers? Really?

From what I can tell, he is an extremely driven and often irritable little man. That would describe all of the other racers more or less, especially those who have been or are successful. None of them are going to win nice-guy awards, nor would they want to. They want to win championships, no matter the cost.

At the end of the day, as a fan and consumer of the sport, I EXPECT nothing less out of the racers. If they didn’t care so much about winning, and do whatever it takes to win, I wouldn’t watch.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2010, 16:50

I think it really moved Lewis, that was nice.

Alonso will hopefully get fired up real mean to storm ahead in the next races, like he did in 2006 to clinch the WDC

4. Dave Blanc said on 11th July 2010, 15:04

Justice for Webber. Hamilton again MUCH quicker than Button and would have been nearly a lap clear without the SC. Alonso penalty was harsh and I think wrong, however he should have given the place back to Kubica immediately. I recall when Hamilton was penalised in Belgium a couple of years ago when raising Raikenen Alonso was very vocal in critisicing Hamilton. What goes around comes around.

5. Lachie said on 11th July 2010, 15:05

8/10, I’m Aussie, Button made up heaps of ground and Vettel duffed it.

I’m gonna be a Vettel troller and say that with the car he has he’d have to be an absolute numbskull to not be able to overtake.

Notice how when a top car ends up at the back it either tends to be one of two results, a storming run thru the grid ala Barrichello 2000 German GP or a nothing afternoon middling around not even on your teammates pace ala Vettel before the safety car.

On a different topic, when Brundle and Legard looked at the first corner from Hamilton’s perspective could everyone else not see it or only us Aussie’s on ONEHD. I’m certain that’s happened in a few other races too.

• David said on 11th July 2010, 15:18

obviously everyone else could see it

all we do is get their audio; nothing else

we dont see any of the pit/paddock interviews, etc.

anyways

WEBBBBBBAAAAAAAHH

• Lachie said on 11th July 2010, 15:41

Hehe I always thought they just played the audio of the interviews for everyone…. I mean why do I want to see Kubica talking about pulling out of the race when I can just hear him and still see the race.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 11th July 2010, 15:24

yeah the BBC inserted that clip ontop of the FOM feed. nice.

• I think the part where Vettel was off the pace before the safety car was largely due to the option tyres being way faster at that stage compared to the prime. It solidified the position of the leaders and got Button up into 4th, among things.

I’ll agree Vettel had the car that was comfortably fast enough to overtake (although the Red Bull’s advatage to overtake is hardly proportional to their speed advantage in clear air), but he still had to do it and made some pretty impressive moves, especially at a heavily defending Sutil.

I’m no fan of Vettel, especially after all the unneccesary drama of the past couple of races, but today he managed to bring most of the overtaking excitement. I’ll cheer for any driver who fights hard until the last lap like that, I don’t watch F1 for all the soap-opera politics surrounding it. :)

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 11th July 2010, 16:54

I don’t know if Mas had different tyres on but he was clearly lapping faster than Vet at that stage (one lap was 7/10s). Good on Vet for picking it up when he really needed to though

• No Massa definitely also changed to the prime tyres after the first lap, I guess Vettel really didn’t have it together then. I can recall there was radio contact informing Vettel that his pace was good though.

• Patrickl said on 11th July 2010, 23:56

If you look at the fastest laps, Vettel was 3 seconds a lap faster than the people he passed. So it’s no wonder that he passed the cars with such ease.

On the other hand, Alonso’s car wasn’t much slower and Alonso got nowhere. When Alonso usually IS a driver who can overtake.

Maybe Alonso was too busy throwing toys out of his pram again instead of getting the job done.

It’s sad, because he is such an amazing driver when he wants to be. He really is his worst enemy lately.

• Julie said on 13th July 2010, 9:56

I want to say well said, I am a fan of Vettel and when he is out there driving that is what I went to see, I didn’t go for the politics. If I remember rightly he was 17th when the safety car came out, and finished 7th. I watched him overtake Massa from my seat in Vale and although I was sat in a sea of orange and grey I still showed my excitement everytime he came round having overtaken someone else.

Alot of Vettels bad press is team related and should not be levelled solely at him. He is still young but I believe he will be a multiple world champion of the future.

• bosyber said on 15th July 2010, 16:36

Well, it is difficult to make up a full lap while the top is driving in cars (almost) as fast or faster than you, I don’t think one can blame Vettel for that.

6. spezza said on 11th July 2010, 15:07

Racing was rather dull but thanks to all situations, we have much to discuss in 2 weeks brake, so I will give it a 7.
    I love Mark comment about second driver :)

7. CeeVee said on 11th July 2010, 15:07

Boring up to the safety car, only interesting after that because some of the faster cars were out of position, so score a five for me.

Trains of cars following each other for lap after lap doesn’t mean it’s an exciting race !!!

• Icarus said on 11th July 2010, 15:13

But when there are battles between those train of cars it makes it exciting, and there was plenty of overtaking (for silverstone) too.

It’s like people forgot how boring it was last year.

8. Robbie said on 11th July 2010, 15:09

Really good race, lots of good battles and unpredictability. Great drives from Button and Webber, superb first lap from Hamilton and a great recovery from Vettel. Alonso’s penalty was a fraud, and I say that as a British McLaren fan, but shouldn’t he have conceded, let Kubica by and THEN attacked at the next corner as soon as it happened?

• Maciek said on 11th July 2010, 15:22

So which is it: should he have ceded the place back or was the penalty a fraud? Surely, it can’t be both.

• Robbie said on 11th July 2010, 15:50

That’s the point… it’s hard to tell and this thing still isn’t done and dusted.

• Patrickl said on 12th July 2010, 0:00

There is nothing hard to tell at all. Alonso should have ceded the position as every driver does when he overtakes through he grass.

After the Spa 2008 debacle, the rule has actually been refined to “cede the position AND don’t overtake at the next corner”

How on earth Alonso thought he could get away with this is beyond me.

9. razer1076 said on 11th July 2010, 15:17

Drivers of the race:

Kubica
    Kobayashi
    Vettel
    Rosberg
    Vettel
    Barrichello

• razer1076 said on 11th July 2010, 15:18

Oops, can’t forget Yamamoto too, hasn’t driven an F1 car in ages and managed to stay out of trouble and on same lap as teammate.

• Mike Paterson said on 11th July 2010, 15:20

My drivers of the race

Webber – poetic justice
      Hamilton – well raced given the car
      Rosberg – Blew MS away again
      Button – 14th – 4th – great first lap and strategy call
      Barichello – Well done Rubens

• djdaveyp said on 11th July 2010, 15:21

Did Kubica do much? I know he’s been brilliant this season but he didn’t do much today then retired.

• razer1076 said on 11th July 2010, 15:23

He screwed over his best friend Alonso (not really meant he was a driver of the race, more of a joke though)

• Patrickl said on 12th July 2010, 0:01

Kubica was more the driver of qualifying. He obviously got that car qualified much higher than the car could actually handle in the race.

10. qazuhb said on 11th July 2010, 15:20

If Alonso was too upset to give back the place, the pit crew should have ORDERED him to give back the place. Two laps after, Kubica leaves the race… problem solved. Now we’ll have to hear his rants. Ferrari have gone too far into leaving him do as he pleases, I wonder if Montezemolo and Domenicali will stop letting him doing what he sees fit.

11. Dev said on 11th July 2010, 15:23

i pitty Ferrari, they have got a pretty good car… but they seem to be losing out on driver errors, mistakes & blunders… also their pit calls are often horrible in between…

12. Younger Hamilton said on 11th July 2010, 15:27

10/10 good amount of overtaking and surprises,a lot of dueling down the field and the fact that it was the British Grand Prix,my home grand prix and the new silverstone arena track is just brilliant.

13. MouseNightshirt said on 11th July 2010, 15:30

It was nice to see Vettel do some actual overtaking. Took his time getting past Sutil, but demolished everyone else behind.

• bosyber said on 15th July 2010, 16:41

Sutil seemed to be the first one that had a competitive car, and he knew he was close to the end of the race, so dared a bit more.

14. almanac said on 11th July 2010, 15:41

if a race needs a sc to become interesting ok then yes it was a interesting race
    1/10 to the race
    10/10 to the sc
    20/10 to the stewards (which this year are all jokers)

15. Eric said on 11th July 2010, 15:57

i thought Alonso moved away from Kubica so they wouldn’t make contact, what was he meant to do, hold his line and have a crash?
    i thought the penalty was a bit harsh really, and im not a Alonso supporter.

i just loved the start of this race, watching Vetel get his just rewards for the team taking Marks front wing was the best thing that could have happened for me. i was rolling on the floor laughing my head off.

was a awesome result for Mclaren in the end, Button made a great start gained a few places, looked after his tires, pitted latter and made up a few more, with Kubica breaking down and he being promoted to 4th was pretty cool when you consider he did not have to pass anyone except at the start.

being consistent and staying outa trouble has its rewards, hence the reason i still think he is good for McLaren.
    Lewis, great drive, well deserved second place.

• bosyber said on 15th July 2010, 16:45

Alonso knew going in he would not make the corner, so he could have slowed and avoided it, or tried it, then given back the position. And he would have been rewarded when Kubica had to stop. But he decided to see what would happen, sort of testing the stewards.

I see he agreed with penalty, sort of saying: I fought the law, and the law won. He might even feel he was making a point after Valencia.

I agree that on the whole, McLaren have a good team of drivers.