Who was the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

British Grand Prix start

Which driver did the best job during the British Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the British Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the British Grand Prix weekend:

Mark Webber – Shrugged off intra-team politics to make a great start and take a dominant win.

Lewis Hamilton – Coped with a major late set-up change on the McLaren far better than his team mate. Fourth on the grid paved the way for a very useful second place in the race.

Nico Rosberg – Out-drove Schumacher yet again and scored his third podium of the year, aided by a good strategy.

Rubens Barrichello – Silverstone specialist delivered for Williams with fifth.

Adrian Sutil – Great pass on Michael Schumacher and vigorous yet fair defence against Sebastian Vettel which almost held until the end.

Jarno Trulli – Had very little time in practice yet came out on top among the new teams.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Koalainen
HRT: Karun Chandhok and Sakon Yamamoto
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Heikki Kovalainen

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the British Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (13%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (23%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (4%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (6%)
  • Mark Webber (35%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (2%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (5%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (0%)

Total Voters: 2,945

Loading ... Loading ...

2010 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 British Grand Prix articles

Image (C) Red Bull/Getty images

127 comments on Who was the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1. sasbus said on 12th July 2010, 16:53

Lewis is by fr the best driver on the track at the moment. I dare to state that he has at least a .3s lead on the rest.

• dragon said on 13th July 2010, 6:36

3 tenths over everyone else?

Got a lol from me.

But, still, your support is admirable…

2. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 12th July 2010, 17:04

Yamamoto. All day.

Actually a serious answer would be Barrichello or Kobayashi

3. DGR-F1 said on 12th July 2010, 17:25

Since Vettel and Webber had the best car on the day, if either of them didn’t win it would be a surprise, so a raspberry to Vettel and a slap on the back to Webber.
    Hammy did do well to keep up with Webber, but he didn’t get close enough and never really got close enough to do any good, I would expect him to handle a dodgy car well, so another slap on the back. Button had a lousy qualifying but bounced back with good pace and smart strategy, to nearly make it to the podium, so gets my vote.
    Rosberg did well with strategy and speed in a car his older, wiser, more experienced team mate cannot handle, and did reach the podium, but lets see a little more effort from the team and give him the car he deserves…another ‘well done’.
    Kubica, Sutil and Kobyashi showed they deserve to be in amongst the big boys, and Rubens is a big boy who deserves a better car.
    I’m not rating either of the Ferrari twins, they aren’t worth the space…….

4. Ned Flanders (@ned-flanders) said on 12th July 2010, 17:39

Any chance you could put the Top 5 in the daily round up tomorow or wednesday Keith?

5. Everybody is going to flame me but, I voted for Sebastian Vettel. The reason his if we cut out the first lap stuff, he was able to drive the car from last and +80 sec with the help of one SC to the points, and was passing cleanly and drove consistently, until the last lap bang with Sutil. Webber certainly deserves credit for winning, but really he got the lead at the 1sr corner, and then just went around lap after lap in the what is the fastest car on the grid, the RB6.

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 12th July 2010, 18:22

I thought it was a mixed bag for Vettel. Before the SC his pace really was nothing special but he switched it on when he needed too. The first corner perhaps he could have avoided the puncture and I didn’t appreciate his move -or at least the way he did it- on Sutil. So good when he needed to be which is the most important thing but a little more care and a look in his mirrors at turn 1 and *perhaps* he could have been saved the aggro.

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 12th July 2010, 18:24

Oh and “what is the fastest car on the grid, the RB6.”

Mark didn’t get the new front wing, did he? ;) Sorry just couldn’t resist a little joke there!

• Well how much is the that new front wing worth in terms of performance? A few hundredths of a second? Also I think the whole thing with Webber not being given the wing has been blown out of proportion. Getting a puncture at the first corner is just a lottery, and would not blame it on Lewis or Vettel.

• BasCB said on 12th July 2010, 18:49

I do think Vettel finally showed he can overtake, that’s good and deserves some votes.
      But his overtaking was done in a car that is pretty far ahead of most other cars around, the 80+ sec went away with the SC, before that he had been cruising around in P14 or so.
      And the move on Sutil was too harsh in my opinion, not the first time from Vettel either.

6. djdaveyp said on 12th July 2010, 18:20

I voted Mark Webber, he won with inferior equipment to his team mate and gave him and the team the big finger. Well Done!

7. What is it with Vettel and the swerve maneuver? (the swervettel maneuever) I used to be a Vettel fan, but I think with all of the coddling, RBR is creating a monster. Hats off to Webber, he gets my vote — poetic justice, unflinching great drive in car number two.

Can somebody help me understand how Vettel’s pass on Sutil is o.k.? Is it o.k. to run into the back or side of a car (clearly Sutil was still ahead, imagine if Webber pulled that move on Vettel, RBR would send Webber down the river fro the same)and then gain an advantage?

• Steph90 (@steph90) said on 12th July 2010, 18:27

Well when Vettel did it to Mark it was ok according to RBR. Mark’s ahead in the standings now so maybe he’s allowed to swerve? Just joking again.

I didn’t like the Sutil move either. There was twice on Lewis, once on Sutil and once on Mark at Turkey that I’ve counted Seb pulling the same trick. Lewis and Sutil both complained, Lewis even did so to Charlie in Turkey I think so I thought the stewards would have looked at it in all honesty or it should be brought up in a drivers meeting.

• dragon said on 13th July 2010, 6:38

Swervastian Swettel!

:D

• Michael said on 13th July 2010, 20:18

Not much of a swerve really compared with say Webber’s on Barrichello in Spain last year. Short memories most F1 fans…

He just did what almsot every pole sitter does at the start of the race but obviously the story in F1 is is the Red Bull favouritism thing and there alwasy has to be a link…

Both Vettel and Webber laughed off any lack of room given to each other. Have you forgotton that the Ferraris actually collided with each other…

8. George (@george) said on 12th July 2010, 18:42

I went for Rosberg, although I feel he and Hamilton both outperformed their equipment I figured Hammy would get more votes anyway.

Also a word for Rubens, he’s doing a really good job at Williams.

9. Red Dog said on 12th July 2010, 19:02

For me it was Rosberg – from practice to qualifying to the race was between 0.5 and 1 second faster than his team mate. Finishing third in the Mercedes is no mean achievement, especially a damged one (sans its bargeboard).

Honourable mentions go to Kobayashi (despite a poor qualifying), Barichello (that was a pretty awesome drive), Button (great first lap, steady thereafter), Sutil (defense of his position agains Vettel was masterful until the latter drove into him)and finally Lewis (he got the best possible potential out of the Macca).

Obviously Webber’s performance was great but the car is 0.8 secs faster than everyone else barring his team mate.

10. Scott Joslin said on 12th July 2010, 19:05

I voted Vettel. Despite his first lap incident he did a decent job attacking the field. Ok, so he was helped out by the safety car, but he still delivered.

11. Marco said on 12th July 2010, 19:11

Jaime Alguersuari s performance was a nice surprise of Sunday for me… He struggled in practices and in qualifying, but he recovered in a great style, driving 11th just 2 second behind Schumacher and Hulkeberg before his brake problems arrived… His race pace was impressive and over 3 tenths better then Buemis…

12. Tbh Alonso did take a lot of stick from the british “lewis” fans with all the booing, so the stiff upper lip award would go to Alonso by miles.

I think jenson was driver of the race from 14th to 4th good showing.

Vettel was lucky to get 7th, without the safety car it would of been a lot worse. He did silence a fair few people saying he can’t overtake since he did just that taking sutil and schumacher.

Excluding the safety car webber and lewis dominated the race.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 12th July 2010, 21:44

Really? I hadn’t heard about that. When did it happen?

• yer the second he got interviewed by the silverstone media the whole pit straight, woodcote, luffield and copse booed him. I’m not sure about the rest of the circuit but tbh I never remembered schumacher being booed at silverstone when I last went.

Was a sad sound to hear tbh since you hear british fans saying they never act like the spanish “alonso fanatics” and cheer anybody, yet around 50,000 did just that trying to intimidate Alonso, was like I went to a football match with liverpool vs man utd…only negative thing i had to say about my trip there.

13. Herbie said on 12th July 2010, 20:45

Barrichello for beating the stigs lap around the Top Gear tst track!!!!!!

14. DannyJ said on 12th July 2010, 22:43

Basically, it’s folks like us who keep F1 going, in our millions, and at the moment it seems that the majority (not all, but most) of us, think that Vettel is behaving like a spoiled *****. That can only be bad for Red Bull, and good for Monster energy drinks. Business ethics are one thing, apply them to sport and you come a cropper soon enough. Red Bull take note.

15. SoLiDG (@solidg) said on 12th July 2010, 23:46

Many good drives this weekend.

My vote went to Webber, he did a perfect weekend.
    No mistakes, great drive.

Hamilton did a great job after the backsets the team got, great qualifying effort and nice solid race.

Button did a smart solid job making most of his bad starting stop.

Vettel finaly showed us he can pass, but he does have the best car and it’s a circuit wich let u do these things.

Sutil and Koboyashi did a very good race, big ups for them!

16. Brendan said on 12th July 2010, 23:51

Webber not only shrugged off the internal team issues, he shrugged off one of the most horrific accidents in recent times at his prior race and made one of the great starts of the season. His qualifying was incredible given what we now know to have happened in the team. His drive was impeccable, fast and controlled and aggressive.

• Brendan said on 13th July 2010, 0:21

Oh, and Webber had Vettel’s cast off chassis to boot … talk about having the odds stacked against you …. sheesh!!

17. Electrolite said on 13th July 2010, 0:19

Webber. That was the definition of getting the job done.

18. qazuhb said on 13th July 2010, 4:12

Webber. Others did a brilliant start, too, but no-one that had an amount of pressure similar to Mark’s over their shoulders (Vettel and Alonso come to mind) coped with it as successfully as him.

19. I will day Webber ,no doubt.

20. Charles Carroll said on 13th July 2010, 5:23

I went with Nico Rosberg. Just when I thought Mercedes was going to be slipping back into obscurity among the “best of the rest”, Nico shows up on the podium yet again. While I don’t think he’ll challenge for the championship, he impressed me with his cool and consistent driving at Silverstone.

A close second was my man Kobayashi!